User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
If you had to choose one............

If you had only 15 minutes a day to practice on your trials bike, what one basic exercise/routine would you choose?

One basic exercise/routine for having access to a dirt backyard with a few simple obstacles.

One basic exercise/routine for having access to only a paved driveway or a parking lot with no obstacles.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Blind folded figure 8's. Dead engine track stand, watch a half hour TV show or something.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,931
I'd tell my wife to forget about sex tonight, so I could get 17 minutes of trials practice in.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I'd tell my wife to forget about sex tonight, so I could get 17 minutes of trials practice in.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
And yes its been said before, and will be said again.

Figure 8s. Figure 8s from pavement to dirt. Figure 8 with a 2x4 or a log to hop over, varying where the log is in the 8 and the angle.

Depending on your level, I throw in lots of repetitive rear wheel placement practice. (Figure 8 lead in) I use a crack in my driveway as a gauge. Setting up and rear wheel hopping in big or little hops, over to the line. Same can be done with the front. Get your knee bend going, and hop the wheel back and forth, or all the way around one way and back. This is great strength and endurance training as well. By the end of a trial, I can only hop for a few seconds before my vision gets fuzzy. Lots of hopping makes you more efficient, and will stretch your fitness. Even if your hopping is iffy, and you don't use it in sections, this is great training, and really helps with lifting the front when moving. The more you practice hopping the more often you'll find yourself using it.

I practice standing on the front wheel in the driveway. Nosewheelie to a stop or lunge from a stop, and balance as long as possible(not long usually) Great practice for all sorts of moves. And in a driveway, you rarely hit a baby head and get pinned down by your bike with your wife watching. (all those admonitions about hot dogging have their grain of truth)

Drilling on double bilps, even on small objects like a curb. Very good practice. (Figure 8 up close then float from turn to front wheel touch) Trying to blip very small is great for your precision, but hard to learn before being able to blip larger obstacles, a 16" log with bark is a great scale for turning and hoping practice.

All of these can be adapted to dirt or pavement, and 15 minutes of solid drilling on any of the above will make you fitter and more precise. If I could convince myself to ride even a little every day I would be improving rather than feeling frustrated. Time on the bike is critical, even if its just turning circles. My Uncle rides in a 10x20' chunk of grass, it's all he has, and it seems to be working.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
And yes its been said before, and will be said again.

Figure 8s. Figure 8s from pavement to dirt. Figure 8 with a 2x4 or a log to hop over, varying where the log is in the 8 and the angle.

Depending on your level, I throw in lots of repetitive rear wheel placement practice. (Figure 8 lead in) I use a crack in my driveway as a gauge. Setting up and rear wheel hopping in big or little hops, over to the line. Same can be done with the front. Get your knee bend going, and hop the wheel back and forth, or all the way around one way and back. This is great strength and endurance training as well. By the end of a trial, I can only hop for a few seconds before my vision gets fuzzy. Lots of hopping makes you more efficient, and will stretch your fitness. Even if your hopping is iffy, and you don't use it in sections, this is great training, and really helps with lifting the front when moving. The more you practice hopping the more often you'll find yourself using it.

I practice standing on the front wheel in the driveway. Nosewheelie to a stop or lunge from a stop, and balance as long as possible(not long usually) Great practice for all sorts of moves. And in a driveway, you rarely hit a baby head and get pinned down by your bike with your wife watching. (all those admonitions about hot dogging have their grain of truth)

Drilling on double bilps, even on small objects like a curb. Very good practice. (Figure 8 up close then float from turn to front wheel touch) Trying to blip very small is great for your precision, but hard to learn before being able to blip larger obstacles, a 16" log with bark is a great scale for turning and hoping practice.

All of these can be adapted to dirt or pavement, and 15 minutes of solid drilling on any of the above will make you fitter and more precise. If I could convince myself to ride even a little every day I would be improving rather than feeling frustrated. Time on the bike is critical, even if its just turning circles. My Uncle rides in a 10x20' chunk of grass, it's all he has, and it seems to be working.
Great advise...thank you. I agree that time on the bike is very critical which is why I asked the question for some of us who don't have access to trails without throwing the bike on a hitch carrier.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
If you had only 15 minutes a day to practice on your trials bike, what one basic exercise/routine would you choose?

One basic exercise/routine for having access to a dirt backyard with a few simple obstacles.

One basic exercise/routine for having access to only a paved driveway or a parking lot with no obstacles.
Limited to only those 2 choices, dirt wins.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote