Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,348
AMA Pro Road Racing: NOLA (Spoilers, ah guarontee)

Yamaha: Josh Herrin Out, Tommy Hayden In For AMA Pro Road Racing Season Finale At NOLA

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Oddometer: 310
I'm making the trek down there with some friends for the season finale - heading out in the morning. Anyone scoped out the track yet? We already have RV parking and tickets so trying to determine the best vantage points? What is the town around there like as well?
wulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Interesting track and more fans here than I originally thought. And M1 seems to be throwing whatever they can against the wall to get fans to come out and enjoy themselves. But with the AMA seemingly in the doldrums right now who knows what the future holds. I hate it for Josh Hayes as he has been on one of the more impressive runs in series history.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,968
Mike Barnes!

Bravo for Barney. My all-time favorite! Thrilled to see him snag his first national championship since the Buell Lightning Series. Back then, #1 son was racing the Aprilia Cup. Barney held court at a bar in a town outside VIR. He was memorable and I have been a fan through thick and thin ever since.

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Bravo for Barney. My all-time favorite! Thrilled to see him snag his first national championship since the Buell Lightning Series. Back then, #1 son was racing the Aprilia Cup. Barney held court at a bar in a town outside VIR. He was memorable and I have been a fan through thick and thin ever since.

Crazy finish to the race.

http://www.speedtv.com/video/moto-ra...-1884271537001
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
Interesting track and more fans here than I originally thought. And M1 seems to be throwing whatever they can against the wall to get fans to come out and enjoy themselves. But with the AMA seemingly in the doldrums right now who knows what the future holds. I hate it for Josh Hayes as he has been on one of the more impressive runs in series history.
This thread is the sad proof of interest in the series. Even its most staunch defenders are not interested.

I only got to watch video highlights of Saturday so far. The track looks 'rinky dink' on screen. The facility looks like it has been reclaimed from the past, not new and modern.

IMHO, DMG has to put some sort of investment into the series if they want it to be anything.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
wulfgar
L.E.O.

In many ways, the track reminded me of Talladega Gran Prix Raceway ("Little Talldega"). Obviously, much bigger and longer but the same feel. It seems unfinished in many areas with rough grounds and impromptu fencing. It has a chance to be a decent facility but needs some work. Maybe I'm spoiled by Barber?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
mdubya
Right Brigade

The day 2 races looked very interesting. And Yates finished 4th in the 2nd SBK race. Gotta love that.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
In many ways, the track reminded me of Talladega Gran Prix Raceway ("Little Talldega"). Obviously, much bigger and longer but the same feel. It seems unfinished in many areas with rough grounds and impromptu fencing. It has a chance to be a decent facility but needs some work. Maybe I'm spoiled by Barber?
They need to do something better on the last turn. Is that front straight a drag strip or something? Why spend all that money to build a new track and have goofy sections like that?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Several sections strcuk me that way. The backside where we were located had a fence blocking viewing about two thirds of the way down. Between that, the unfinished grounds and a lack of elevated viewing points it made for a tougher weekend to view the action. I think if they finish the grounds with an eye of maybe pushing up some dirt to create "platforms" for viewing it will be a decent place. And again, the crowd was certainly bigger than I anticipated so maybe it is a good start.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,153
FWIW, the riders like the track (apart from the last corner and that stupid wall).

Based on the television footage, it looks like yet another featureless turd from the spectator's perspective, with vast portions of the track completely unviewable. Maybe some inmates who attended can comment on that.

As for the series, meh. Hayes is the class of the field, aboard a bike far more sophisticated than anything anyone else has. DMG is as beholden to Yamaha as the old regime was to Honda and Suzuki, so I doubt anything will change. Irony.

Like the man said, DMG is unable and/or unwilling to invest in its own product. Until they do, not much will improve.

A good 600 class isn't enough to support a professional roadracing series.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Vast portions of the track were unviewable, frankly. I don't know if it was by design or, again, the unfinished nature of the facility. Fencing kept one from many of the further interesting looking sections. The flat nature of New Orleans didn't help and as I noted earlier berms or mounds designed for elevated viewing make sense to me. And Hayes is the class of the field. Can't speak to who is beholden to whom but it seems as if he is still on a real Superbike and the rest of the class is on SuperStock spec equipment.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Has anyone found an interview with these two guys?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
This thread is the sad proof of interest in the series. Even its most staunch defenders are not interested.

I only got to watch video highlights of Saturday so far. The track looks 'rinky dink' on screen. The facility looks like it has been reclaimed from the past, not new and modern.

IMHO, DMG has to put some sort of investment into the series if they want it to be anything.
I guess I'm supposed to post in every AMA Pro Road Racing thread so we can have a truly scientific assessment of interest in the series.

Edge of my seat for both DSB races. The rest of the Superbike field is making some ground on Hayes. He's not winning by 18 seconds anymore but he's still in a class by himself.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I guess I'm supposed to post in every AMA Pro Road Racing thread so we can have a truly scientific assessment of interest in the series.

Edge of my seat for both DSB races. The rest of the Superbike field is making some ground on Hayes. He's not winning by 18 seconds anymore but he's still in a class by himself.
I'll bump this...and it was pretty fun seeing Tyler O'Hara snag Mike Barnes arm coming onto the flag straight for $25K! Most of us haven't seen anything like that before!