Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Kath's Nullarbor adventure

Hey there,

Tomorrow, Saturday 22nd September, I am embarking on a solo ride across the Nullarbor. I am leaving from Wodonga, VIC and heading to Perth, WA in the hopes to raise awareness and funds for Assistance Dogs Australia.

I am planning the trip will take me 8 days and aim to keep my first blog as I travel (http://nullarbordreams.wordpress.com). I hope to encounter many adventures and look forward to seeing more of Australia as I travel. I am unsure about how much phone reception I will have as I travel but aim to post updates to the blog each day. I plan to write a ride report when I return.

I am doing the trip on a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250cc. I am carrying all camping gear and have packed as light as possible (which was hard!).

Assistance Dogs Australia trains dogs to assist people with physical disabilities, allowing them to become more independent. If you would like to suPAWt me in raising money for this organisation you can donate at my everyday hero page, http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kath_reeves.

Maybe I'll see you along my travels,

Spaghettilegs

spaghettilegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day one is complete and my body is feeling it. I did 520km, finishing the day up in Robinvale,VIC. I have stayed here before and it’s just as nice as I remember.

I discovered the best thing about camping on a solo trip is you have things to do at your destination. Didn’t take long to set up the tent and unpack, getting it all done just before the sun went to bed!

Today’s riding took me on mostly tar roads but I did manage to find a lovely dirt road as well. There is lots of canola around at the moment, making a nice mix of yellow and green scenery!

It was interesting to revisit some places I previously rode through in 2010. I was amazed at what I could and couldn’t remember!

All up it was a lovely day. The weather was amazing, scenery didn’t disappoint and Sherpa ran like a dream. Navigator did a great job showing me where to go and I’m looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
egret
noob

Oddometer: 357
Nice one ! Looking forward to your next installment .
-zie egret.
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Have you seen Megumi rides around Australia?

You even seem to have the same colour Sherpa.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Watch out for those brown snakes…

NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Good on ya

You go girl!!!!

Drop in at Catus Beach, its a top spot

The Sherpa is the bike of choice for a ride like yours, you'll enjoy every minute of it, think of my wife, she did Oz to UK on an XT250

Best of luck

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Day 2 – Another day, another 520km!

Posted on September 23, 2012
Wind – 0 Kath -1!!
I survived my first night camping and was up bright and early. Packing up didn’t take too long and I was planning to eat breaky in Mildura.
I was on the road at about 8 and it turned out the wind was too! Riding with a head wind reduced Sherpa’s speed to 85km/h or 90 if I ducked right down! People seemed pretty patient though.
Navigator was still all smiles despite the constant wind!

Quick breakfast in Mildura and then onto Renmark. As I travelled the wind battered me from both the front and side, tying to wear me down but I fought back! After 112km I went onto reserve and still had 30 or so to go till fuel. When I filled up my economy was 6.5l per 130km. I only have a 9l tank, very glad I packed a jerry can!!
Pushed on and turned off the main highway towards Monash – Morgan – Burra – Spalding, finishing up in Jamestown. Another big day and it was interesting watching the scenery change so much as I travelled along. As I got further into South Australia, it became greener and greener.

Doesn't quite capture the colours!

As I approached Jamestown I debated with myself about camping. I asked prices when I arrived – $80 for a cabin or $15 to camp. A quick call to Rob and I went with camping. Now I can donate more to the super puppies!
I was told I could camp anywhere on the grass. Due to the wind I wanted to be sheltered, so I am camping next to the ladies toilet/shower block! No wind and crazy convenient!

Another great day. Even with the mighty wind, I had a smile on my face and was loving every slow minute of it!!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
BeardedOne
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You go girl!
BeardedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,499
Great stuff, Kath. How'd you get involved with the Assistance Dogs? Don't tell me you've gotten rid of your beautiful collie? Yell out if you need any help from this part of the continent. And Cactus (south of Penong) is worth a look just for the pink and blue salt lakes alone. The surf beach is just icing. Fowlers Bay is a must do as well, if you can afford the slight detour. The sand dunes are brilliant fun but watch out for the bowls and razorback dunes - they'll cause you a lot of grief. Great fishing on the jetty if you have time. Watch out for the wombats west of Penong - they're bloody quick when startled and in big numbers. Camp well off the road if you do bush camp. Good luck, mate. Huge adventure for the little bike.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Chris Wils
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hello.
Love to follow your travels across the Nullarbor.
I did it last year,but from the other side,I went from Perth to Adelaide,
on my Harley,that I shipped from Europe(Belgium) to Melbourne.
In the surroundings of the Cocklebiddy Roadhouse,there are a lot of little
green birds,they fly in flocks of 50 to 100,they fly strait at you,and just the
last second,when you think,this is a crash,they turn left or right.
A lot of people told me:Be carefull,it,s long and lonely,but I just love it,
you don,t have to take care of the traffic,because there is not much traffic.
Go for it,and let us enjoy your travel.
Greetings from Belgium.
Chris.
Chris Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
look forward to following your trip

Best wishes for a fantastic trip. I look forward to following your journey. Rod
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
casalinda
casalinda

Oddometer: 6
offer in Port Lincoln SA

Hi Kath
My name is Linda and I have a Sherpa but it is awaiting collection in Adelaide as I have imported it from the US where I bought and rodeit.I live in Port Lincoln, south Australia and if you are in the area do come and visit me, plenty of floor space to stay and even a sofa!
My telephone number is:
Hope to meet you
Linda
casalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Hi there! Let me introduce myself, I’m Navigator, the captain of this adventure.

I am an assistant dog in training and Kath has strapped me on for the ride. As captain, I sit up front, guiding the way and importantly keeping Kath company. I am also Kath’s guard dog, keeping any trouble away. I may look small and cuddly but I have a fierce little bark when needed (lucky it hasn’t been needed yet!).

I love adventure and exploring. So far this adventure has taken us through so many landscapes, all offering their own smells and bugs. Occasionally the wind picks up, but I don’t mind, it just makes the smells more interesting!
Things were frosty last night!

Camping has been fun but tonight Kath decided to stay in a caravan. The sign out the front said NO PETS, but I snuck in! Once in I quickly settled on the bed for a well earned rest!

It is lovely to meet you and I hope you enjoy travelling along with us.
The captain and the rider!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the support and tips!

Hi Sundown, Thanks for the suggestions and warning about wombats. We still have Atlas, unfortunately he had to stay home with Rob for this trip. I have been interested in Assistant Dogs for a while now and wanted to do something for the charity this year.

I was planning to stay at Flowers Bay tomorrow night, do you know if they have fuel there? Not sure if I'll make it to Cactus but if time is going well I'll have a look. I'm planning to camp/stay at caravan parks or the like, not sure I'm brave enough to bush camp! Thanks again!

Hi Chris, I'll be keeping my eye out for those little birds. Thanks for the warning! I hope you enjoy reading about my trip.

Hi Linda, thank you for your kind offer, it would have been great to meet. Unfortunately I am missing Port Lincoln, cutting through Wudinna instead. Would love to know more about your trip on the Sherpa. How long and where in the US did you ride? Thanks again for the kind offer and maybe we will meet on the road one day

Thanks for all the tips and support I hope you enjoy travelling along with me
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #15
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day 3

Posted on September 24, 2012

Started early and the weather was perfect for riding. No wind, blue skies and almost noone on the roads.

The riding was so nice, I decided to do a few kilometers before stopping for breakfast. The scenery around the Southern Fingers area is amazing and I realised how much I love this part of Australia. Rob and I have done a few rides through here when living in SA and it was still just as impressive.

Limited to uploading phone pictures, it just doesn’t capture what I’m seeing!

Stopped for breaky in Wilmington and then pushed on to Port Augusta. I rode through Horrocks Pass, enjoying some lovely corners. When I popped out the other side of the pass the landscape changed and the wind picked up. Had a quick stop before getting on Main North Road into Port Augusta.

saying goodbye to the mountains.

At this point I was leaving behind roads and towns I knew and headed to new places.

It was roughly 155km to Kimba and the wind was picking up. I got mildly concerned about fuel economy but this quickly diminished as I got busy looking around. Thankfully the road was relatively quiet and people didn’t appear too bothered by Sherpa’s slow speed. Sherpa is still sitting on 85-90km/ph, allowing me time to see the sights. As I rode along I spotted a large kangaroo standing behind a tree. It looked like he was waiting jump out and say boo to someone. Glad it wasn’t me!

On the other side of Kimba the landscape changes again.
From this.....

To this.

I was making really good time and decided to stop for the night at Wudinna. Enquired at the caravan park about a cabin. I was happy to spend $85 but they only had $95 cabins left. Ummed and ahad, deciding to camp instead but they then offered me a van for $50. I couldn’t say no to that!

Looking forward to a big rest and then heading to Fowlers Bay tomorrow. Thanks for travelling with us.