Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #16
curlysurfer
in need of a ride

Oddometer: 355
Nice work! Looking forward to the next stages.

Have fun.

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #17
MARTYJK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Massive respect girlie!!
Good luck and god speed!
MARTYJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,429
great cause - great effort - Bravo
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Good RR

Thanks for taking the time to do this unique ride report and also for adding so much value to it with a great cause. Very interesting!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Day 4 – a mix of emotions!

Posted on September 27, 2012

Today I travelled from Wudinna, SA to Fowlers Bay, SA. Rob suggested taking a small detour and seeing Streak Bay. I’m very glad I did! Such a beautiful spot.

I stopped here for breakfast and enjoyed taking sometime sitting and watching the water. There were many comments by passerbys about the great spot I had to eat….

After a slow morning I headed off to Ceduna. I filled up here but decided to lush on, rather than go into town. While filling up I spotted another bike loaded up and wondered where it was going. The rider didn’t appear to want to chat so I kept on wondering.

Once again the wind appears and I was being bustled all over the road. This made things very interesting when trucks passed. Lucky for me there wern’t a large number but I was definetley tense when they approached.

It appears that the bulk of traffic are heading in the opposite direction. This invokes a range of emotions. As I travel it dawns on me just how far from home I am and with everyone going The opposite way, it makes the.vs feel very lonely.

Filled up again in Penong and saw the same BOW rider from Ceduna. He was keen for a chat and I learnt that he has been travelling around Aus on holiday from Berlin. We discovered we were both hearing for Fowlers Bay. I was really happy to hear this as it offered some comfort that I wasn’t alone out here.

Headed out towards Fowlers Bay, prepared for the 30 odd stretch of dirt. Unfortunately Navigator was having too much fun and had an accident. While travelling along the dirt get came off, landing in the middle of the road.

Of course he still had a huge smile.

Strapped him back on and off we go. Set up camp and the caravan park and I’m very surprised my tent pegs even go in the ground.

After setting up camp and taking some snaps I explore the small town.

A lovely spot. With more time it would have been great to explore the sand dunes.

Got speaking with a few of the other residents of the park and enjoyed listening to stories from the road. Everyone there were heading in the other direction and had lots to tell me about the road ahead.

While talking about my trip I raised $40 and was given lots of kind words and support for what I was doing.
After lots of chat it was time for bed. During the night the wind picked up considerably, blowing my tent around and sending sand/dirt flying in. An interesting night that’s for sure!

Wonder what tomorrow will bring…..

spaghettilegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #21
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Today I travelled from Fowlers Bay to Wudina. I was planning to have an easy day but things turned out differently.

First stop was fuel in Nudera. I then travelled to Head of Bight and got to see Southern Right Whales, 6 to be exact. I saw 3 Mums and they each had a calf. There were many more in the distance too. The water here is so clear that even when they dived under, you could still see them. This was the highlight of my trip so far.

From here I travelled on to Nullarbor, fueled up and met another bike rider. Several cruisers and some V Storms pulled in and I discovered we were all travelling in the same direction. I bet they make it to Perth before me! I had a chuckle as I compared my trip to theirs; they had a support vehicle and a spare V Storm on the trailer (one guy decided to fly home from the east coast).

As I travelled along the Nullarbordreams plain I pulled into some lookouts, admiring the cliffs and views.

At Border Village I fueled up continued on my way. At this point I became well confused about the time differences. I thought I had gained 2 hours as I crossed the border. It turns out this was not so. Due to this mistake I made the decision to travel on towards Madura. Not an exciting stretch of road. It was getting cold and late and I was well happy when the roadhouse appeared.

I decided to have a room after a blowy nights sleep last night. The guy in the room next to me was riding from Portland, VIC to Karratha, WA and doing some huge days!

Spoilt myself to a cider where I met a block who I sensed wanted to chat about himself…..lots. I didn’t mind, it was kinda funny listening to his stories get taller and taller!

Bed time, ready for another day riding!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #22
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I like your bike and setup, with the esky on the back.

Subscribed.
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Great report and a good cause to be raising money for Kath, well done, keep it up.

I want to do Sydney to Perth one of these days to visit my son and his family over there.

I've been complaining my 15 litre KLE500 tank is so small compared to my Wee-Strom tank, your little Sherpa has a soft drink can for a tank by comparison

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Enjoy the ride Kath. Are you going via Kalgoorlie or cutting through to Hyden on the dirt?
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #25
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day 5 – photos

Posted on September 29, 2012
It seems my day 5 post didn’t upload any photos, so here they are.
leaving Fowlers Bay. Perfect riding weather this morning.

Start of the Nullarbor!

Head of Bight and whale watching!!

Further along the great Australian Bight.

All finished for the day.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #26
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day 6 – windy!

Posted on September 29, 2012

Today I travelled Madura to Noresman. As I left the roadhouse and went up over the hill the wind started and it was strong! There were many undesirable words leaving my mouth and I thought for a moment I wouldn’t be able to continue riding. For most of the ride between Madura and Cocklebiddy I was leaning sideways, all my weight pushed through the pegs and ducked down as far as I could. It was really tough.

When I got to Cocklebiddy I stopped for nourishment and a needed break. The body ached but the kindness of strangers appeared again. I think I may intrigue people as I travel. Several couples came over for a chat with lots of questions.

I was feeling brave so I pushed on, heading for Balladonia. Along the 90mile straight I spotted the bad weather approaching. The temperature dropped, wind picked up and rain started. After 160 km the tank was empty and I was thankful I had the jerry can. As I was filling up the group of bikes from yesterday passed. I stopped for fuel and chat in Balladonia.

From here I travelled to Noresman. Not a lot to say about this stretch. It was long cold and windy but the rain had passed. I did have a good laugh as an old couple drove passed, camera up and snapped a photo of me. He then showed his wife pointing and smiling as they drove off. I think I’m a novelty on the roads!

Stayed at the Noresman pub with another couple on a Kawasaki cruiser. Met some locals then time for bed. Doing the dirt road between Noresman and Hyde tomorrow, should be lots of fun.

- not a lot of photos today, I was too focused on battling mother nature.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Good on you Kath. This is great, your an inspiration.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #28
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day 7 – red dirt

I was up early and eager to get on the road. Today I was travelling from Noresman to Hyden along a dirt road.

After filling up the tank, jerry, and a gatorade bottle, I was ready to tackle the 300km stretch of road.

When I got to the start I was surprised but just how good condition the road was in. Red dirt, well compacted and smooth. This was going to be some nice riding.

I was a little nervous about the distance with out petrol, so I dropped my speed back to 75km/h and enjoyed the scenery.

I stopped at a lookout and got speaking with a guy I sat behind the previous day on the highway. We started chatting about the bike and I mentioned in passing about fuel concerns. He said he would keep an eye for me in case anything happens. Well in fact he followed me the whole way despite having 400km to drive that day. He had been in a bike accident in is youth and commented how lucky he was to have had someone with him that day. I was once again pleasantly surprised by a strangers kindness.

As I road I couldn’t get over the condition of the road. It was so easy to ride, even better then some tar roads!

There are a few mines along this road so I discovered road trains also frequent the road.

On the end of the road I hit the tar, thanked my new friend for his support and road into Hyde for fuel. I decided that was enough riding for the day and headed for Wave Rock Caravan park. Set up camp and went to see the rock.

After a nice walk it was dinner time and time to meet some more new people.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #29
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Day 8 – just a small one

It was time for a short day on the bike and a rest for me. After having York highly recommended I chose that as my rest spot.

It was an easy ride and I was there by lunch time. I went on a back road but it seemed lots of others had the same idea. Still very pretty though.

After setting up camp I headed into town for a look around town. town, with lots of original buildings and a little motor vehicle museum.

Thought Rob and I could cross the Nullarbor on this but he wasn't keen.

Maybe this one instead. Rob riding up front and Atlas and I up the back.

Met more friendly people, dinner then bed.

What meal for $10!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #30
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Day 9 – The finale!

Posted on October 2, 2012

Today I was only 100km away from my final destination. I had a much needed sleep in, took my time packing up and tried memorizing the map for Perth.

Once packed up, my caravan neighbours made a coffee and had a quick chat before heading off.

The road from York was beautiful. Everything was so green and the road had some nice gentle corners. It was very busy though so I couldn’t stop for many photos.

After getting a little lost heading into Perth, I soon turned up at my destination.

After about 10 years it was hard to believe I was finally in Perth. I was so excited to see my friend again and ready for some sight seeing in WA.

Dream complete!

Later on I'll do a summary and add better photos, all these were taken with a phone!