User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
danxmax
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Icon Patrol

ADVMoto Magazine just received a couple of these to play around with. From first impressions, the jacket has a nice fit and some neat features. Once we have some time with them, I will report back with what we found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I wear Olympia and its great stuff. Yes, you have to wear the liner for it to be waterproof but it breathes really well. I live in the Deep South so staying cool takes precedent. If I lived in a cooler climate I would definitely go Goretex.
danxmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
I just received the Raiden pants today. Will try them tomorrow. My friend has the whole day glo patrol suit. We rode six hours in the pouring rain and he was dry.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
texzen
BMW Engineer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
I just received the Raiden pants today. Will try them tomorrow. My friend has the whole day glo patrol suit. We rode six hours in the pouring rain and he was dry.
Ive had a raiden for about two weeks.....no problem yet. No rain either.... It fits me big shoulders small waist better than my firstgear......

Currently in the Stable
2010 R1200GSA - The Valdez, 07 Goldwing - Mr smooth, 2011 Beta Trials Bike - The Grasshopper!, 44 before that....Including HD's, Katooms, Ducs, and nearly every dirt bike brand...
texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I have been wearing the First Gear Kathmandu for a year. Great in the elements.

Still Riff Raff
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Great information, how about comfort when riding, any issues?

I'm going to search youtube for any video leads...keep riding in the gear and give us the details, thanks!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #21
Noobens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Received the Raiden pants/jacket today. Excellent build quality. It's definitely WARM with the liner in. At 7 pounds for the jacket and 6 pounds for the pants, it's pretty bulky stuff. Plan on using this as my extreme cold winter gear with some thermals underneath. So far, so good. Haven't been let down by ICON yet. Only thing I can complain about is the arm length seems a bit long for someone of my height. I'm 5'7", 150lbs and got the medium. I've read that they run very large, but the fit is comfortable enough, and leaves some room for extra layers. If you're not planning on wearing any layers underneath it may be wise to buy a size smaller than normal.
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I have been through both lots of rain and mud with the pants in the last six weeks and they are waterproof as advertised. Also, I really like the suspenders.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Noobens

Do you think the jacket is too heavy for year-round use? With the liner removed and vents open?
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 391
love my patrol jacket

I love my patrol Jacket. Don't have the Raiden just the regular, in grey. Was in big bear last weekend and it was pretty cold. With the liner it kept me warm till we got out to the desert and on the trails, then I was sweating. I zipped out the liner and opened the vents and it cooled down very quickly. My only complaint, and its happened twice, is the zipper has opened on me from the bottom up. Once while I was riding. If it happens again I calling revzilla to see what my options for an exchange are. My buddy hasn't had any issues with his Patrol and the zipper. Hope this helps.
itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy'east View Post
I considered an Olympia MotoX, but a shell that's not waterproof and only the liner? What's that about. Side-stepped that purchase. Those Olympia jackets look like a good build, but I wouldn't want to be caught in a storm with it.

Icon did a nice job of styling, but it ends there.
I use just the MotoX shell with a electric liner and pack dedicated rain gear. Better set-up for me then the annoying double liner system.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I thought I'd give my 2 cents to anyone who was thinking about this jacket. I ordered up an Icon Patrol because I was tired of layering up for morning commutes, and thought the water-proofness would be a great addition. The thing looks amazing too; it's such a great looking jacket. As a whole it seemed very well constructed and it is SUPER warm with the liner in.

But... I couldn't stand riding in it. First thing, the bicep sleeve strap buckles dug sharply into my arm any time I bent my arms past 90*. They were just in the completely wrong spot on my arm, and no amount of adjustment made a difference. It seems like a very minor thing, but oh, so irritating. Especially when I'm reaching up to do up my helmet strap, or reach for something in the breast pocket. And people aren't exaggerating about the weight. Good gravy, is it ever heavy. The thing is so stiff and heavy and baggy, that riding around, I felt so prone. I just felt so restricted, and I couldn't move around well enough to look behind / around me without straining...

This jacket was just too costly for me to justify. The jacket might have broken in, and the sleeves might have become okay, but I couldn't take it anymore...

For those who it works for, I envy you. I really wanted to like this jacket, but I have since returned it.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I
I really like the pants, however I had to take the kneepads out. They were killing me on long rides. Without them, they are the most comfy waterproof pants I've ever worn.

Speaking of jackets and weight, I tried on a Klim Rally Jacket. Besides the weight of the price tag, the jacket itself was way too heavy.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #28
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
I
I really like the pants, however I had to take the kneepads out. They were killing me on long rides. Without them, they are the most comfy waterproof pants I've ever worn.

Speaking of jackets and weight, I tried on a Klim Rally Jacket. Besides the weight of the price tag, the jacket itself was way too heavy.
I have been riding with a KLIM adventure jacket for over a year now.. and honestly the only time you ever feel the weight is when you pick it up.. strap up the internal harness system and the jacket is floating on you..never notice it again... fairly irrelevant to this thread..but protection sometimes comes at a cost in both $$ and weight.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
I

What did you not like about the armour? Did the pants fit too snug? and last but not least, if you had a larger size pant and wore armour to your leg would it have been better.

I'm looking for a good pant for dirt riding.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2R-I7k9bA

The actual gear test doesnt start until near the end.
it was freezing out that ride, but they said they were comfortable in the gear.