Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #31
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,304
I have the patrol jacket and like it, not love it but like it.
I like that it is comfortable and fits me well (Size large for me - 6'2" 200lbs) I like the style and that it is mostly waterproof, mostly. It's fine for a slight short rain but heavy rain will seep through. I think it gets in around the vent zippers or seams on the shoulders. The zippers could be a lot better to make sure they are waterproof by adding rubber seams and car ports for the zippers. The jack does vent well when you're on the move but can be hot when you're stopped. The liner is warm and I like that it stays in place when you put it in. The adjustable velcro straps on the arms suck. I've pulled one off complete an another is just hanging on by threads. Not sure the elbow armour would stay in place anyway.

I've wear this jacket for most of my riding and it does well. From a multi day -3 to -7 ride across the country (sans heated gear) to a trip around the TLab and numerous runs on the trail. It's had it's share of dirt thrown at it.

To deal with the leaks I've taken to wearing 2x large rain gear over top of my riding gear. I like this approach as when the rain stops I kick of the rain suit and pack it away and ride on with a dry jacket. The patrol being mostly water proof isn't waterproof like a rain jacket it sops up a lot of water in the outer shell which makes the jacket heavy. It will dry overnight though.

I might buy it again though I would look at premium gear like Rev'it and Klim first. Might look twice if my wife doesn't catch me
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutty View Post
Noobens

Do you think the jacket is too heavy for year-round use? With the liner removed and vents open?
It's tough to say. Depends on your climate. Here in KS, I think the jacket probably wouldn't work in the summer. For an idea, this summer a lot of my riding was in 105+ degrees. I will say that I rode yesterday at 20 degrees F with just a US military thermal and a t-shirt under it and I was perfectly warm. It's a VERY warm jacket. For me it will probably be the jacket I'll use under 90 degrees. Anything over that and I'll move to my mesh textile jacket.

I've been daily driving with the jacket and pants for a few weeks now and I have to say I'm VERY happy with my purchase. As far as complaints about the arm adjusters breaking, I haven't touched them after I set them the first time. Don't plan on touching them again. If you're constantly adjusting your arm cinches then I guess it could be a problem, but I don't do that.
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Raiden Jacket

I have had the Raiden Jacket for a while now and have found it a fantastic bit of kit, when I first got it and put it on I hated it, it was so stiff and you couldn't move in it, but now it has been washed a few times and worn in she's great! I have been on 8 day rides in all elements of weather and have found that you can easily make the jacket work for you in hot and cold climates. When the jacket is dirty (it says not to but) I just throw it into the washing machine and it comes up like new! The only thing I did was to seal up the small vents on the front of the jacket the zips did not keep the water out in heavy rain, but now all is great. But like said earlier the jacket gets heavy when wet. Think I will spray some water proofer on it soon. I use the jacket everyday for my commute to work and love it. Keeps the cold out better than any other jacket I've had. I get to work on those below zero days warm as toast (heated grips help)
This is one seriously tough jacket! the other day I had an altercation with a car (may have written off my Tiger) and this jacket slid down the road with me in it and didn't put a mark on it. It was very dirty and looked scuffed up, but after the washing machine she's like new again!

Would I buy it again? Probably not, mainly cause I like to try new things

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com

Windy Rider screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 04:19 PM
Windy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
fxrjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
So...Im going to differ from the other opinions and say it sucks.

I've had my patrol jacket for about 1.5 years now, and think its probably one of the worst waterproof jackets I've ever owned. The jacket can get soaked through after about 30 minutes and the zippers tend to leak a bit from the topmost spot where they zip up. The pants I also had trouble with, with the fabric coming apart at the crotch area. I mean the actual nylon itself coming unfrayed after regular riding.

I'd say for the money buy almost anything else if you are looking for a piece of serious wet weather gear.

Two minor notes:
1. I've been a huge icon fan for years, this is the first piece of gear of theirs I've been dissapointed in. I still have an OG timax jacket that I've had for a bout 9 years that has held up amazingly. I just feel their quality has gone fairly down hill

2. I think it makes fantastic winter weather gear however. While it doesnt hold up in the rain, its fantastic as a commuting suit in the winter. I wore mine every day last winter riding down into the low 30's. The coat and pants are fantastically warm and easy to get over work clothes.
fxrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #35
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
I have found the pants to be great in the rain and cold. The kneepads had to go though. I substituted some more malleable ones. The originals just weren't comfortable.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #36
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
I guess after reading all these viewpoints and reviews, I'm still a little skeptical about the gear, especially for the dough. I'll keep researching and watching this stuff.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
I've never seen/felt a single piece of Icon gear that's impressed me. To me, it's more a fashion statement than true protective/motorcycle gear.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #38
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrjon View Post
I think it makes fantastic winter weather gear however. While it doesnt hold up in the rain, its fantastic as a commuting suit in the winter. I wore mine every day last winter riding down into the low 30's. The coat and pants are fantastically warm and easy to get over work clothes.
Yes I tend to agree, my next Adv ride I,ll be using my old faithful AGV jacket

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #39
ukturfrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Had my patrol for a few months and finally hit some rain. Yeah I WAS NOT impressed at all

This jacket is comfortable breathes good for the heavy duty material used but the game over for me is that it is t waterproof as it states on the jacket it self. I emailed icon and ask for suggestions but intimately want my money back.

For those buttheads. Out there. I ride in all different climates and am willing to spend the money for the right gear. In this case I wanted not to take my rain gear with. Me My fg tog pants worked awesome.
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Silver Patrol

I bought a large, 5'10" 180, fits fine. Very warm, very dry. Insulated liner works well. Kept me warm and dry on a rainy trip through the Ozarks in February.(I bought the Patrol gloves too. Same thing, warm and dry) Takes a while to break in. It is very stiff at first. It vents fairly well, but gets warm when you are stopped. It too hot above 85-90. That is when I break out a mesh jacket and slip on some Frogg Toggs if the rain is very hard. Sometimes getting wet can be a blessing in very hot weather. The drying out process on a bike provides a nice cooling effect. I have had some low speed getoffs and was impressed at how well the jacket and glove protected me. I have had no issues with bad seams, zippers, etc. All in all, it has been worth the money. I think I keep it until I wear it out.

Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #41
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukturfrocks View Post
Had my patrol for a few months and finally hit some rain. Yeah I WAS NOT impressed at all

This jacket is comfortable breathes good for the heavy duty material used but the game over for me is that it is t waterproof as it states on the jacket it self. I emailed icon and ask for suggestions but intimately want my money back.

For those buttheads. Out there. I ride in all different climates and am willing to spend the money for the right gear. In this case I wanted not to take my rain gear with. Me My fg tog pants worked awesome.

You surely didn't expect this gear to keep you fully waterproof in the same way that a nylon oversuit would did you?

I bought this suit with certain expectations. I rode 160 miles through a Kansas storm cell. That's 160 miles without any letup. The crotch leaked a very tiny bit and my shirt was wet from the water seeping down my neck. I wore jeans under the pants and was able to get off of the bike and comfortably wear them throughout the evening after I got off the bike. Would a rain suit have been better? Sure. Would a rain suit have provided the protection I needed the next day when the temps dipped below 40 degrees? Negative ghost rider.

This isn't the end all be all of cold weather/rainy weather riding gear. But it does a damn good job of what you ask from it, and it's a lot cheaper than the full leather options.
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #42
sparesbag
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I wore the Icon Raiden Patrol jacket every day for 5 months riding from San Francisco to Panama City and through every type of climate including tropical thunderstorms that didn't let up for 5 hours or so.
The jacket got me through a few scrapes that's for sure, the fabric held up.
I originally thought it was way gaudy with all the patches etc and I might get it robbed off me in Mexico or something like my green self thought at the time but no drama. Once it got dirtied up it looked cool.
In terms of rain resistance, it held up for 4 days of rain pour in the USA and by the time I got to Mexico there was no more resistance in the jacket and each time it rained I got soaked.
But...After the trip I found a can of some spray for waterproofing fabrics and emptied the can on that same jacket. Took a ride 7 hours in pouring rain and did not get a bit wet. Wish I'd thought of that on the way down...
Armour could be a little better positioned.
Jacket is dope.
sparesbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #43
Herkjerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I've had the jacket since July 2013. I live in Alaska and have driven in dust, mud, pouring rain, and snow. I really like it however it does leak after a few hours around my belly button. But it's just a little. I took a pretty good spill on a dirt road. I low sided but then flipped into a high side as my bike hit a rock. So I ended up sliding on my shoulder and forearm and all it did was fuzzy up the cordura. So all in all I really like it.
Herkjerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #44
Trygvecowboy
Viking

Oddometer: 8
Jacket sizing, armpits

Hi,

I bought the jacket and pants (on revzilla, no dealers in Norway...) in XL. Love the looks, but haven't used them yet. Pants fit perfectly. The jacket fits very good, except from being quite tight under the armpits, liner removed, wearing only t-shirt. Im 6`2"/240lbs. It is just so tight that I don't think it will work. Does anyone have similar experiences? Im suspecting that the sewing might could be wrong on my jacket. Can a shredder fix it? (I`ve tried the XXL too, but it was way too baggy).
Trygvecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #45
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I've never seen/felt a single piece of Icon gear that's impressed me. To me, it's more a fashion statement than true protective/motorcycle gear.
My thoughts are the same. You can do a lot better than Icon. It's "fashion gear" not real MC gear.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote