Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #211
Soultwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I took a test ride last year so Iím sure it was a 2013. After selling my KTM 950 SE I thought it would be much the same feel but I was surprised to find is a little more powerful and better handling on the road. Iím sure the off road capability was not even close to the KTM but it did feel really nice. Since they donít make the SE any longer this would be my bike to replace it.
1987 FZ 600 first street bike
1989 CR125
1986 KX250
1980 CR125

If the world revolved around me it would have no tarmac
Soultwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #212
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultwater View Post
I took a test ride last year so Iím sure it was a 2013. After selling my KTM 950 SE I thought it would be much the same feel but I was surprised to find is a little more powerful and better handling on the road. Iím sure the off road capability was not even close to the KTM but it did feel really nice. Since they donít make the SE any longer this would be my bike to replace it.
If it was last year it was probably a 2012, as I don't think the 2013 demo bikes hit dealers until January.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #213
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
14 Tooth Sprocket

Just had my 600 mile service at the Dealer and I had them replace the 15 tooth front sprocket with a 14 tooth while it was there.
While making the 45 minute ride home today I couldn't get this stupid grin off my face.

Friends, you just won't believe the difference. Standing starts are much easier and it makes you think this is the way the bike should have been geared from the get go.

6th gear at 4,000 rpm is 60 mph, 6,000 rpm is 100 mph, and you can get there in a damn flash.
Once I've had a chance to top off the tank and check the mpg, I'll edit this post with that information. The two previous tanks I was getting 41 - 43 mpg.

The drivability of the bike is so improved that regardless of the mileage difference (assuming there will be one), I'll never change it back.
The 14 tooth sprocket is a bit hard to find, so here's the link to where I bought mine.
http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/fi...rockets/52900d

Between buying the sprocket, shipping and labor I have less than $100 in it.

Do it.

DropinParts screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 03:26 PM
DropinParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #214
Buzzworm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Extended Warranty Question

Well after battling my local dealership for 3 hours (I had a trade in) I walked away extremely happy with the deal I got. Brand new red 2013 Multi S Touring is in my garage. If it wasnít 15,000 Kelvin outside (Iím in Houston) I would have put 100 miles on it on the way home. ÖThe dealership is 3 miles from my house.

Question Ė dealership is offering a 7 year warranty, Ducatiís 2 years and the dealership 5 years. Cost for this is ~ $1,500 This includes a separate tire and rim warranty, not fixing flats, rims etc but replacing them like for like, get a flat get a new tire. On my previous bikes I was maybe averaging 5K miles a year. However those were not Ducatiís and I have a feeling Iím going to be riding this one a lot more. This extended warranty does not cover scheduled service. Should I save my money or is this a good deal? The tire/rim warranty by itself is $500.
Buzzworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #215
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
Well after battling my local dealership for 3 hours (I had a trade in) I walked away extremely happy with the deal I got. Brand new red 2013 Multi S Touring is in my garage. If it wasnít 15,000 Kelvin outside (Iím in Houston) I would have put 100 miles on it on the way home. ÖThe dealership is 3 miles from my house.

Question Ė dealership is offering a 7 year warranty, Ducatiís 2 years and the dealership 5 years. Cost for this is ~ $1,500 This includes a separate tire and rim warranty, not fixing flats, rims etc but replacing them like for like, get a flat get a new tire. On my previous bikes I was maybe averaging 5K miles a year. However those were not Ducatiís and I have a feeling Iím going to be riding this one a lot more. This extended warranty does not cover scheduled service. Should I save my money or is this a good deal? The tire/rim warranty by itself is $500.
that sounds about right for 5 years with tires - I picked up a 4 year extended without any tire coverage for around 700. This bike has some expensive bits and it seemed worth it to me. I have a 2010 and people were dealing with porous heads and bad rear shocks. I never had those problems (other than the shock ecu crapping out) but that sort of stuff is very expensive to fix. If you can afford it, I would say that with tires thats a reasonable deal. You can also shop around for deals from other dealers -- you don't have to buy the extended warranty from your dealer, but they might be more likely to honor it if you do. I think overall most people don't see value in an extended warranty, either they don't ride the bike much or sell it after a few years, but on a ducati if you plan to ride it and keep it awhile, it will probably pay off. I plan on keeping my 2010 for at least 100k miles so we'll see. I hope to never use the warranty but I bet I do.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #216
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
Well after battling my local dealership for 3 hours (I had a trade in) I walked away extremely happy with the deal I got. Brand new red 2013 Multi S Touring is in my garage. If it wasn’t 15,000 Kelvin outside (I’m in Houston) I would have put 100 miles on it on the way home. …The dealership is 3 miles from my house.

Question – dealership is offering a 7 year warranty, Ducati’s 2 years and the dealership 5 years. Cost for this is ~ $1,500 This includes a separate tire and rim warranty, not fixing flats, rims etc but replacing them like for like, get a flat get a new tire. On my previous bikes I was maybe averaging 5K miles a year. However those were not Ducati’s and I have a feeling I’m going to be riding this one a lot more. This extended warranty does not cover scheduled service. Should I save my money or is this a good deal? The tire/rim warranty by itself is $500.
I've gone through 2 tires in 7500 miles due to road hazards. At roughly 200 bucks per tire plus mounting, let's call it $500. Across seven years? Hell of a deal! The rest of the warranty comes free!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #217
Buzzworm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I've gone through 2 tires in 7500 miles due to road hazards. At roughly 200 bucks per tire plus mounting, let's call it $500. Across seven years? Hell of a deal! The rest of the warranty comes free!

Thanks for the input. Thats exactly what I was thinking. Most of Houston's streets are pockmarked with pot holes or badly patched ones. Itís like dodging land mines. Coverage is through Zurich and I have read mixed reviews. I guess I need to look at this as "insurance" and figure out if I need it or not. The offer does not expire it just goes back to the date I bought the bike so I have time to decide.
Buzzworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #218
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 251
Traded in a m1100 and a tiger 800xc for a base 2013 today. I test rode the bike and immediately fell in love with it. It does everything the monster could do, but better. Its also a bit more comfortable than the tiger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #219
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Running stock handgrips I was feeling the same issues you describe. Installed Grip Puppies which padded the grips and made them fatter.
Much better control now, not feeling that lathargic bottom end anymore.

"Big hands need fat grips"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
Just had my 600 mile service at the Dealer and I had them replace the 15 tooth front sprocket with a 14 tooth while it was there.
While making the 45 minute ride home today I couldn't get this stupid grin off my face.

Friends, you just won't believe the difference. Standing starts are much easier and it makes you think this is the way the bike should have been geared from the get go.

6th gear at 4,000 rpm is 60 mph, 6,000 rpm is 100 mph, and you can get there in a damn flash.
Once I've had a chance to top off the tank and check the mpg, I'll edit this post with that information. The two previous tanks I was getting 41 - 43 mpg.

The drivability of the bike is so improved that regardless of the mileage difference (assuming there will be one), I'll never change it back.
The 14 tooth sprocket is a bit hard to find, so here's the link to where I bought mine.
http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/fi...rockets/52900d

Between buying the sprocket, shipping and labor I have less than $100 in it.

Do it.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #220
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Tires

I'm interested in experience with tires for primarily asphalt, but occasional dirt/gravel town roads thrown in. When I get to the point of replacing the OEM Scorpions, any suggestions? Do Pilot Road 3s work for that?

Most of my riding is on asphalt with a frisky throttle hand, so I don't want a heavy duty dual sport tire.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #221
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveG View Post
I'm interested in experience with tires for primarily asphalt, but occasional dirt/gravel town roads thrown in. When I get to the point of replacing the OEM Scorpions, any suggestions? Do Pilot Road 3s work for that?

Most of my riding is on asphalt with a frisky throttle hand, so I don't want a heavy duty dual sport tire.
If on all asphalt and in more dry conditions, you might want to consider the Pilot Power 3s. As to your question, the Pilot Road 3s or Pirelli Angel GTs would work too. ;)
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #222
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
The Angel GTs are stock on the Granturismo. So far mine have been great on the street, and reasonable on gravel roads.

Can't comment on longevity or hard rain yet. Give me a few more months.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #223
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
If on all asphalt and in more dry conditions, you might want to consider the Pilot Power 3s. As to your question, the Pilot Road 3s or Pirelli Angel GTs would work too. ;)
Thanks. Dry dirt/gravel are less of a concern than when the dirt gets a bit damp and slippery. Vermont roads can be that way.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #224
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveG View Post

I have pilot road 3s on now and I like them a lot for exactly the style of riding you're describing. If you think you'll ride a few more dirt or gravel roads, I'd look at the dunlop d616 - - I went through two sets of these. Best 17 inch dirt tire prior to the TKC80s. They are cheap and do pretty well in the dry also. I took my bike to the track with a set on and they get a bit squirmy at the limit, but weren't actually as bad as I would have thought.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #225
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I'll be putting Metzeler Z8's on mine when its time...should be about 1000 more miles I'd guess. I have 5300 miles on the Scorpions now.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote