Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Any touring reviews/experiences out there? Like range, luggage, buffeting & reliability?
Here are a few links to some reviews. Most reviews have been very favorable. Like every other bike...there are always refinements that the indivdual will want to customize like wind protection, seat comfort, bar risers etc...
I dont think the luggage is as durable or user friendly as the BMW Vario cases or any aftermarket TT or Pelican cases...
however most reviews have been solid on this latest installment of the multi.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/02/2013-ducati-multistrada-1200-s-touring-first-ride/

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ducati/2013-ducati-multistrada-1200-s-touring-ar138376.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_A5LZQHBjE

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2013-ducati-multistrada-1200-s-touring-review-91437.html
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
I just put down a deposit and ordered the 2013 Pikes Peak Multi. I fall into a different category of riding than most on this site. .
You'd be surprised how many use their bikes as you describe, including many who come to this site. These bikes are well suited to people who want a juicy bike that can tour or just ride "easy" but don't want the mass and feel that goes with a bagger. Of course this is especially true for the Ducati buyer, but an awful lot of GSs don't get much use off road as well.

I rarely took my GS off road.

Now that the reports are coming in, it sounds like the '13 is a worthy update, and nobody is complaining of tank slappers either
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
clawdog60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Looks like a fun machine but I don't want to deal with the fuel tank issues, seeing how I have to deal with crapanol all of the time!
clawdog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawdog60 View Post
Looks like a fun machine but I don't want to deal with the fuel tank issues, seeing how I have to deal with crapanol all of the time!
I haven't heard of any fuel tank expansion issues with the Multi. Only the Pre-2009 Monsters and Sport Classics are the only ones I'm aware of having ethanol fuel tank expansion issues. I have a 2007 S2R 1000 Monster and it has had some issues, but nothing major thus far.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Not only durable, but I'm VERY interested to hear how it compares to the Ohlins in actual performance. SACHS has never been the first choice for aftermarket suspension, where Ohlins pretty much owns that space. I'm dubious "semi-active" suspension components will change that, but it will be interesting to hear what real riders say once these come out.

-SM
Here's what you're after: Back-to-back comparo between Ohlins vs Skyhook equipped Multis:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...da-old-vs-new/

I've always loved the multi, and regretted getting the more sport-focus Streetfighter naked instead of the ubiquitous do-it-all MTS. A few years on and I've just traded my current series GS1200 Adventure for the new Multi S Touring....it's the Skyhook suspension that nailed it for me.

Don't get me wrong; the Multi has always been a brilliant-handliong machine, espacially moreso with the Ohlins electronic suspension. It's just that the Sachs DDS units are on another level. After sampling them for half a day i can tell you they take some getting used to; the bike simply won't dive (brakes) or squat (accelerate) like a normal bike. This feels a bit unnerving (or a lot like a GS, depending on where you come from!!) but if you let go and put your faith in the fact that the electrickery is doing it's stuff then the bike rides sublimely and is not thrown around by bumps - high or low speed.

Can't wait for mine!!
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
clawdog60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Checked out some other Duc forums and the multi. has had multi tank swellings and I would bet the farm it's the ethacrap fuel, it eats everything it contacts bad bad stuff
clawdog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I guess nobody has a chance to tour on one at this point due to weather, season etc. I saw a Multi in Nevada (RT50) in 2011 on tour and he had an oil leak. A sample of one but he was still hauling ass.

There is a 2013 down at the local dealer with Skyhook. I will have to give it ago. I enjoyed a couple of long rides on the 1200 last year. Smoother engine and the windshield improvment should help.....plenty of power regardless.

Not toooo many dealers out there in the boondocks though!
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
Rovman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
I just put down a deposit and ordered the 2013 Pikes Peak Multi. I fall into a different category of riding than most on this site. I am coming off of a BMW F800GS (whick I loved and never had any issues with). I did not and never planned to take the GS on any real "trails" or off-roading, instead I am a street rider (occassional gravel roads) that prefers the upright riding position of the adventure style bikes.
The F800GS fit the bill very well outside of wanting more power for touring (or sport touring)...enter the Multistrada...
For me...the bike is perfectly set up for what I want to do...sport touring, day trips and a couple week long trips a year...Upright riding position and great suspension to soak up the crappy paved roads in the PNW with a longer travel suspension.

I have a Honda CRF450 for when the dirt comes-a-calling...and I can abuse that bike with whatever comes my way.

Multi for me...PERFECT.

For me too..... I just put a deposit on a 2013 Pike Peak as well. Like you, I like the upright seating position while still having 1198 fun. This bike will be the perfect bike for me to transition out of sport bikes with. Up until this bike I have always ridden a sport bike of some sort but I am getting too old (42) to be twisted up in those riding positions for any length of time. This bike will compliment my BMW HP2 enduro just perfect. I have the HP2 for when I feel like a little offload fun and the PP for when I want to burn up a few twisties.

I can't wait..... I am also planning on exploiting its touring capabilities as well. My father-n-law does a lot of touring on his Goldwing. I am also getting the bags with the bike as well. Then I can put the touring windshield on with the bags and do some comfy touring.

I foresee a nice long relationship about to begin here with the new Multi. Will keep you guys/gals updated as things progress.
Rovman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #39
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I have a test ride booked in for next Saturday. I envy those with orders for the PP, I would be able to afford the standard bike at best ($25k in Australia, bloody ripoff). Anyway, I have been drooling over a MultiStrada since I first laid eyes on my neighbour's 620 when I lived in Canada 5 years ago. Since then I have bought a "cheaper and more sensible" bike every year, but I have now decided to just go and get the one I have been dreaming about.

I just hope I like it as much as I think I would....... I will be devastated if I do not like it. Tested the SMT a while back (twice actually), but did not do anything for me despite all the rave reviews. I hope to God the MultiStrada lives up to expectations.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Checked out some other Duc forums and the multi. has had multi tank swellings and I would bet the farm it's the ethacrap fuel, it eats everything it contacts bad bad stuff
In the manual for the '13 it states that if you use fuel with an ethanol content of more that 10% you invalidate the warranty!
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Yep...I was looking into as well and some people have experienced some issues even as of late (although warranty looks like it has worked for most)
...I can't let the fears of "what if's" keep me away from the desires of the hearts "wants"...awe...the eternal battle of I want it all in a bike with 100% reliability...everything is a compromise at some level.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Does anyone know where I can get a demo ride of the 2013 in the southwest. Vegas seems like a no go.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #43
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a demo ride of the 2013 in the southwest. Vegas seems like a no go.
Arrange for a ride, hop on a plane to Burbank, visit the folks at Pro Italia in Glendale and ride home
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #44
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Arrange for a ride, hop on a plane to Burbank, visit the folks at Pro Italia in Glendale and ride home
You mean he should buy a one-way ticket, right?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #45
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Hell ride one in South San Diego and head right out the back door into the Mountains.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote