Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #496
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
man, i need one of these. here's hoping I get rich soon.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #497
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,280
Just picked up my '14 red Touring S; what a beautiful bike!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #498
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Congrats! What do you like best about it thus far?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #499
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Congrats! What do you like best about it thus far?
The engine, suspension, and nimble handling characteristics. Coming off a GSA the compactness and tightness of it is nice. I'm just getting used to it but what an amazing bike.

jimmex screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 09:20 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #500
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Pictures.....?
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #501
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
KTM 1190 vs Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Thanks for the replies. You are right. On paper it appears that KTM said "Let's make a Multistrada that is a little more capable off pavement." when they developed the 1190 Adventure. Same displacement, power, torque, weight, electronic wizardry, seat height, aggressive looks, etc., etc. but with 20 mm more suspension travel, tubeless spoke wheels, 19" front wheel, and a 170/60 vs. 190/55 rear. Comparing the two is not apples and oranges, more like Fuji and Pink Lady. Decisions, decisions.....
I've ridden them both back-to-back on rural roads, about 90 min each, two-up. And on another occasion in the city, plus have also ridden each solo briefly.

They felt less similar than they appear on paper. Overall my take was that the KTM would be the go for solo riding where gravel roads were a big part of the mix, while the Multi was better for two and for long-distance blacktop use.

The KTM felt beautifully specced, with the instruments a particular standout. Different coloured warning and indicator lights popping up like jewels on the panel when needed but disappearing when not. Very light clutch, lovely gearchange. Bike feels very narrow at the rear, widening at the front to take on the fuel load. Nice riding possie but the seat is a bit narrow - obviously built to work well when you're standing. I imagined I could feel the springiness in that chrome-moly frame. The suspension I rated as good but not great - might have changed my mind with more use. The motor was beautifully responsive off the bottom and plenty powerful but didn't develop into the loping mid-range mile-eater I'd been hoping for. Felt like a bit more flywheel mass might have helped. Perhaps something else that would grow with familiarity.

The Ducati motor felt much less refined off the bottom, and that flat monochrome instrument panel - lauded when the bike was released - looked crowded and dull. Heavier clutch and notchy gearchange (I suspect that is mainly in the positioning of the lever and linkage). Chassis felt a bit dead and, for a Duc, so did the motor - I'm thinking the steel-aluminium sandwich frame soaks up a lot of the engine feel compared with a full tube-trellis model. I'm talking feel here - obviously there is plenty of power. The Ducati seats the rider closer to the steering head, which feels a bit restrictive at first but means the pillion is further forward also for more balanced handling two-up. You can feel the steeper steering head angle compared with the KTM, and also the wider rear tyre - better grip on the smooth stuff, but a bit more affected by bumps hit off-centre. The Skyhook suspension is probably better than the WP electric stuff on the KTM we rode. Seats for both rider and pillion felt much broader and more supportive for long-distance work (but too broad for comfortably moving around on the bike while standing off-road).

I didn't like either screen much at speed and in truth, my conclusion from the test rides was that I didn't like either bike enough to sell my S4Rs for one. Which was surprising since I've wanted a two-up bike and have been looking lustfully at both since I heard they were coming. Might have just had a bad day, and we were a bit rushed. I will try both again.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'd be more interested in the KTM if the local importer was bringing in the model with the manual rear shock. The electric version is a single-chamber design with only four preload settings and three damping presets for each. I think they have set it up beautifully given those limitations. For solo work with occasional pillion use, great. For pillion work with occasional solo use, not so much and you're stuck with it.

[FWIW I also rode the new GS. Best part of it was the airflow management, which I thought completely acceptable and much better than the KTM or the Duc. Nice riding position, comparable suspension - well, the BM's active damping could be set softer than the Duc's, but I don't know that I'd ever want it that bouncy. For cruising, again I thought the motor needed more flywheel, but it was saved by the electronic cruise. Big disappointment for me was that the motor felt very busy at highway speeds. Again something you'd probably acclimatise to but top gear felt like third. Of course, two-up and loaded with a head-wind and uphill, I might welcome that gearing.]

The impression I'm left with is that the KTM was the only one I'd want if the typical ride brief included sporting use over a fair bit of gravel or worse. That springy steel-tube frame, narrower tyres and more spartan seating would make it fun to ride fairly hard on loose and rough surfaces. It would also be great on winding two-lane blacktop. The other two felt like they would cover the same ground, but I'd be less interested in riding them hard there, as opposed to plodding along looking at the scenery. But they'd be more comfy on long, dull bits of motorway and better for two, with the Multi the sharper road tool for high speed stuff.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #502
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
Just a heads up...
I will be posting a classified ad for my nicely farkled '13 red MTS.

I'm just done riding.

REALLY?.... two weeks go by and nothing else from you ?

where is it in the classifieds ?
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #503
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
I just traded my '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC for a new '13 Multistrada base model.
Got the free bags from Ducati as well. Put 135 miles on it today on some of the best twisties in Western North Carolina.
I've got to be the happiest motorcyclist on the planet.

Ok.... i gotta know,,how did you go from ^this^......to

"i am done with riding".....bike for sale

?????
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #504
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
very near miss perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post

?????

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #505
pleasantone
Antihero.

Oddometer: 1
that fork clunk thing

I was also one of the victims of the fork clunk problem, and when they measured things, the fork was out of spec.

Ducati NA just paid for a replacement LEFT fork (the one with all the electronics).
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #506
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantone View Post
I was also one of the victims of the fork clunk problem, and when they measured things, the fork was out of spec.

Ducati NA just paid for a replacement LEFT fork (the one with all the electronics).

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...extension.html
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #507
arthurc
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Noticed the '14 on the site a week after my '13 Grantursmo was in the garage. I'm loving mine too. I only managed to get ~1500km before the weather turned cold for the season. At least I got my 1k service in before winter. Now I'm really looking forward to spring.

/a
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #508
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post

?????
I lost a great riding buddy. Died on impact.
Making me take a step back for a while.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #509
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
I lost a great riding buddy. Died on impact.
Making me take a step back for a while.
I'm sorry to know about your loss. A similar circumstance happened with me, leading to family pressures... ultimately I made the decision to step back for a while. I really understand it.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #510
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I'm sorry to know about your loss. A similar circumstance happened with me, leading to family pressures... ultimately I made the decision to step back for a while. I really understand it.
Thanks.