Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #46
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Unless he's a legless midget* who has difficulty reaching the sidestand he may as well buy a one-way ticket.......and Ride his new Multi home.

These bikes almost don't need a test ride.....the original 1200 was pretty damn hard to fault and this new one is even better.

* (No offence intended to amputees of shorter stature)
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
Yep...I was looking into as well and some people have experienced some issues even as of late (although warranty looks like it has worked for most)
...I can't let the fears of "what if's" keep me away from the desires of the hearts "wants"...awe...the eternal battle of I want it all in a bike with 100% reliability...everything is a compromise at some level.
1/2 ounce of Stabil Marine per 5 gallons cures this. Had the swelling issue in my Guzzi V11 tank and after using Stabil it went away.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #48
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
1/2 ounce of Stabil Marine per 5 gallons cures this. Had the swelling issue in my Guzzi V11 tank and after using Stabil it went away.
Great tip! I will put this to use.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Hell ride one in South San Diego and head right out the back door into the Mountains.
I imagine it is the bike for me, but you never know until you ride it. This weekend I rode the new GS, the triumph explorer and the 800xc
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #50
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
....... This weekend I rode the new GS, the triumph explorer and the 800xc
What did you think of those bikes? (in one sentence each...not asking for a full review..)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #51
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
It looks like a great new version, except for one stupid oversight. What moron forgot cruise control?

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #52
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
Went away as in "unswelled?" This would be a (minor) miracle!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #53
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
I imagine it is the bike for me, but you never know until you ride it. This weekend I rode the new GS, the triumph explorer and the 800xc
One considers the possibility that with all the positive reinforcement that the Multistrada elicits, there is a danger that the thing might not meet expectations. Then one remembers one's own first ride, the test ride, and thinks......nah.

I've got 2500 miles on mine and I'm starting to figure it out and get really really comfortable with it. It can do it all. It's not a BMW or a Triumph, it is its own thing. If you like what that thing is, nothing else really compares at this time.

I'd go into my local dealer and tell him that I can't buy one without riding it and comparing it to my other options, and that the next closest dealer (or Pro Italia, or whoever) is happy to let me take one for a spin. Naturally, this is a powerful incentive for me to buy it "there" if upon reflection I discover that I like what I experienced. If you sir, my local dealer, cannot provide me with the test ride, would you terribly mind handling the service without prejudice? Surely you understand my desire to do business is in earnest, but..........

What a useless dealer is he who will not demonstrate his goods. On second thought, get the service elsewhere.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #54
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I really want this for touring, but honestly, that would be one trip a year. Will the bags, windshield and a touring seat turn the Pikes peak into the grand touring model, or are there other differences such as fairings, etc?

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #55
RightCross101
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
What did you think of those bikes? (in one sentence each...not asking for a full review..)
Triumph 800, very light, flickable, good braking and acceleration. Good power all around without having to be cranking it. Comfortable riding position. Pretty much an A grade from me. Only negative for me me was the lack of huge power and it wasnt much of a negative.

Triumph 1200. Fast, handled very well, braking was excellent. felt like a sport bike not an adventure bike. Negatives had to rev it really high to get into the big power (lacked low end) and the demo was vibey on the bars. Seat moderately uncomfortable for me. I graded this bike as a B+.

BMW GS, fast, lots of low end grunt, wheelied really easy. comfortable seat, looks were really sharp. very nice highway cruising. suspension was excellent. Negatives for me was the finnicky traction control, felt weird and effected the handling. I grade the GS as a B.

All 3 imo are very good bikes with the 800 as nearly flawless and if I wasnt a guy who loves big power I would have bought one on the spot. However, I do love big power so the MTS is on my short list.

RightCross101 screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:00 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #56
RightCross101
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
O
I'd go into my local dealer and tell him that I can't buy one without riding it and comparing it to my other options
There is no Duc dealer in Las Vegas I have to go to Cali.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #57
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
There is no Duc dealer in Las Vegas I have to go to Cali.
Roger that, sorry. I thought I read somewhere in here that a dealer wouldn't give you a demo ride and I assumed that was a local scenario. Maybe I'm making all this up.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #58
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
I really want this for touring, but honestly, that would be one trip a year. Will the bags, windshield and a touring seat turn the Pikes peak into the grand touring model, or are there other differences such as fairings, etc?

David
Yup, and I'd add the grips too. I'd hold off on the seat. You may find the seat a lot more comfortable than you'd imagined. It works quite well for me and I have no trouble riding out a tankful, gassing up and doing it again with the stock profile. I can't stand BMW seats as a rule and need to get them modified regularly, but for some reason the Duc seat, although it is not plush, is very amenable (for me) on long rides. Everybody's different. but I wouldn't automatically replace the seat on a PP or MTS.

I did recover mine (mine's a 2012 MTS....the 2013s look a lot better, an improvement they made but didn't tout) but it was a vanity buy and I did it more for the hell of it than because I was uncomfortable with the stock unit. Having seen the new seat's I'd give them a crack (hehe) before spending the money.

Pampero screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 10:24 PM
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #59
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

sFound this review.....rather long but as you scroll down in contrats some subtle differences between the 2012 vs 2013 models:

http://idratherberiding.com/2013/02/...i-multistrada/
Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #60
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
BMW GS, fast, lots of low end grunt, wheelied really easy. comfortable seat, looks were really sharp. very nice highway cruising. suspension was excellent. Negatives for me was the finnicky traction control, felt weird and effected the handling. I grade the GS as a B.

Thanks.

Really odd about the GS Traction control? - my 2012 GSA is fine (the ABS is far more intrusive)...I know this is a bit off-topic but what gives with the new BMW TC??