oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,341
Congrats Rope!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #92
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Update: The OEM top box is great. You can't even tell that its there while riding. Its very roomy, well built, and will (barely) fit two full face Arai's. It also does not intrude too badly into the pillion seat (maybe an inch due to the hinges and the pad). The only problem is that the helmets won't fit with Scala G4's mounted. The grandturismo windscreen is better than the standard screen, and is smoked, but it is still noisy when in any position other thyan fully down...I guess I'll have to eventually give Aztec or Palmer some consideration even though I ride with ear plugs.

Crash bars, and a touring seat (or maybe a re-work of the stock seat by Spencer's, and I'll have me a Grand Turismo light. I'm not sure the larger saddlebag lids are nessessary with the top box fitted, and the handlebar risers aren't needed at all...

So far really loving this bike.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #93
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
Vellis,
Nice bike so when does the turbo charge kit get installed?
What GPS are you using and how exactly did you mount it?
RC
Here are some pics of my GPSMAP60 and the RAM ball mount.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #94
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Congrats!
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #95
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
That is the exact GPS mount I am looking for.... (the one on the handlebars) what brand is it?

RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #96
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
That is the exact GPS mount I am looking for.... (the one on the handlebars) what brand is it?

RC
Looks something like what I use, the RAM-B-367U:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...am-b-367u.html

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #97
vellies
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Correct, RAM mounting system. The handlebar bolts were M8 from memory (you get M8 and M6 kits).
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #98
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,341
^ have been using that mounting method for years now, works perfectly for me. super versatile and offers great adaptability/flexibility (different length arms, etc.). as for leaving the gps on the bike? i remove it and put it in jacket pocket. when the gps unit isn't needed simply loosen the clamp and remove the mount. clean.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #99
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Motorrad Multistrada Skyhook vs Ohlins comparison now online

Heavyweight German mag Motorrad has gotten around to posting online a report comparing the 2013 Skyhook Multistrada with the Ohlins version.

The article is dated Jan 31, which I imagine marks its appearance in the magazine's print edition. It is readable in Google translation to English, although the translation is not very happy. They appear to have ridden the old and the new side by side.

In sum: the reviewer found the windscreen and brakes much improved. The engine he thought only marginally better at low revs and a dyno run could not find the claimed torque increase (although it was no worse and also revved harder). However the engine did use half a litre less fuel per 100km (approaching the 10 per cent improvement claimed).

Comments on the suspension suffered from the translation but he found Skyhook's softest damping settings surprisingly firm, commenting that its adjustment range seemed to begin where the Ohlins range ended. He contrasted this unfavourably with BMW's achievement on the HP4 sportbike. Seemed to be happy with the control available, however. More here.

Skyhook owners and speakers of German might be able to shed more light (as some have already).
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #100
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Moronic, there's an (English language) back-to-back comparison of he Ohlins vs Skyhook already done by MCN (I posted it on page 3). It's very detailed and gives a fair understanding of the differences ...for those who've missed it:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...da-old-vs-new/
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #101
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Thanks, yes I'd seen that, good to have it here on the same page. I posted the Motorrad link to add more info to the mix.

The MCN piece was was interesting in its own way, but mainly told me stuff I didn't want to know. Sure, Skyhook overrides your "mode" setting when it senses that the chassis is getting out of shape. Obviously that is a valuable feature.

But then, how does the ride compare when both systems are in their optimal working zones?

MCN says "very similar". But that leaves open the possibility that the differences will be significant for some people.

Motorrad says Skyhook at its softest rides like the OEM Ohlins at its firmest. Hmm, a somewhat different assessment.

And then there is the complicating factor of the Skyhook bikes using a rear spring up to 50pc stiffer. No wonder they work better with a passenger. And that alone would make the ride feel harsher solo.

I'll be enjoying a good run on a Skyhook model in a few weeks' time. Looking forward to that.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #102
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
It's been a long time since I last rode an Ohlins-shod Multi, but my memory of them was that the suspension and ride was much more compliant and comfortable than any other Ducati I've ridden. My new 2013 MTS is very much on the firm side (especially compared to my 2012 GSA).

But that's all I can say; firm ....it's not really hard, certainly not harsh. I've tried really hard to throw it around some seriously ugly B-grade back roads and nothing seems to unsettle the bike. It almost doesn't seem to matter what setting I'm in (I've only sampled urban/touring/sport modes), the bike just feels "firm"...!

In some ways it feels odd: there's no doubt the ride modes alter the preload (watch the rear - progressive - spring wind in and out nearly 20mm by changing ride modes!). It's just that the damping compensates to always give your a firm ride.

I haven't fiddled with the separate custom preloads yet...will play with that after I've run-in the bike.
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #103
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
It's been a long time since I last rode an Ohlins-shod Multi, but my memory of them was that the suspension and ride was much more compliant and comfortable than any other Ducati I've ridden. My new 2013 MTS is very much on the firm side (especially compared to my 2012 GSA).

But that's all I can say; firm ....it's not really hard, certainly not harsh. I've tried really hard to throw it around some seriously ugly B-grade back roads and nothing seems to unsettle the bike. It almost doesn't seem to matter what setting I'm in (I've only sampled urban/touring/sport modes), the bike just feels "firm"...!

In some ways it feels odd: there's no doubt the ride modes alter the preload (watch the rear - progressive - spring wind in and out nearly 20mm by changing ride modes!). It's just that the damping compensates to always give your a firm ride.

I haven't fiddled with the separate custom preloads yet...will play with that after I've run-in the bike.
I tested an Ohlins and a Skyhook bike back to back.
I bought the Skyhook bike.

On my bike:

Kept Sport mode as is.
I changed Touring (150 high) to the softest DSS setting of the 5 options available for damping/compression, front and back.

As DeWog posted above, I agree completely: bike ALWAYS feels firm. No signs of wallowing whatsoever. But on the softest setting it seems to "float" more over small potholes or pavement irregularities.

In exploring its boundaries, next thing I will do is to set Urban mode to 150 High and try different DSS settings for it.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
If all the Skyhook did were to get rid of the annoying Ohlins "click" it would subjectively be an improvement. I had my shims done but it still seems to click under some conditions (cobblestones and the like). My bike wallows and is easily upset in Urban (I should probably work on that with the settings). As it is, I ride in two passenger with luggage mode which means rear pre-load is almost always jacked up to maximum setting. If I am serious about attacking a technical road, I must be in sports mode or I will get some movement and unsteadiness. But I am heavier than the average bear and that's why sports mode is there. I have uprated the springs at both ends and I believe that actually improved the ride.

I have a lot of experimenting yet to do with settings, but my impression is that it would be nice to have just a bit more adjustment range.

Skyhook probably addresses a bunch of my remaining (admittedly very minor) issues. I do really like the way the Ohlins handles generally, especially if I consider that my bike is really a "sport tourer" and not a superbike, and the bike is very stable feeling on the slab and at high speeds. Of course, so were my BMWs.
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #105
vellies
Adventurer

I have now had my standard 2013 multi for just over a week and have done 800km. What a fantastic bike. It has all the things I liked about my Vstrom (comfortable, motor with character, a joy to ride, great 2 up) , but "fixes" all the things I disliked about it (not enough power, crap suspension, crapper brakes).

The multi is my first proper expensive bike, and wow, it is worth every cent. I commute daily, but this thing makes even commuting interesting.

I am more than happy with the suspension on the standard multi, in fact, compared to all other bikes I have had, it is bloody fantastic. Seeing as I do not really switch between modes much, I think the money for the electronic suspension would have been a waste for me considering how I use the bike (but this may be different for others). Talking about modes, after playing with them I actually prefer Touring mode while commuting, for some reason I had a strange delay on takeoff which made slow speed stuff tricky in Urban, not sure if I am just getting used to the clutch, should actually try Urban again. I have only had it in Sport a couple of times, but decided to leave that alone until after the first service, because it is just too much fun to play with, and keeping it under 5,000rpm is torture.

Had my first ride in the rain last night, and contrary to common believe Ducatis do not explode when exposed to rain .

This is one awesome bike, and it will be a long love affair I suspect.