Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #376
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Wow, how much for a set of those deflectors?

Can you link to the hand guards they fit?

Those would be a very unique addition to my Bandit.
Hi Evan! PM sent.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #377
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
\[/URL][/COLOR]

i don't like pretty farkles, or exceedingly expensive motorcycles, or most things for that matter.

but

these are beautiful. reallllly beautiful. you should sign them permanently somehow. if you have a multi-million dollar motorcycle parts business someday(or not), it would be badass to see your own early stuff show up on a bike.

you know ?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #378
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Wow!
Your multicopter will be fantastic!
I flew rc aircraft, powered and gliders...
30 years ago. I just figured it out.
(where have the years gone????)

I got bored with flying from the ground looking up.
I wanted to be flying and looking down.
So, I started flying hang gliders

Having hung up my harness many years ago I still miss flying.
Flight Sim got boring after awhile.

I have not heard of First Person View RC before and it looks fantastic!
I am going to learn more about it now, thanks to you.

Your frame molds look perfect. Modern purposeful shape too.
Will you mount the motors on struts sticking out from the fuse?
What are the dimensions?
Looking at the keyboard in the picture makes it look tiny.

I am eager to see more!

Hi Jag!

I myself started RC quite a few years back. I fondly remember spending weekend days with my father scratch building RC airplanes or flying and camping at the air field. Boy, those were some of the best days.

The whole quadcopter and FPV scene is really a turning point for the RC world. It's a whole new way to experience it, or so it seems, (I haven't flown one yet).

The MDF plug shape that I made above was really just a proof of concept. I wanted to learn what kind of shapes I could put into the material, and how it shapes. The first frame will have the four arms included, and connected with the body structure. A motor will mount at the end of each arm by means of a motor mounting plate.

The family has been sick for the last few days, so progress has been a bit slow, but we are feeling better, so things are looking up. I feel an order of resin, CF, and infusion materials just around the corner.

I'm excited that you're excited, man! I'll keep the thread posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Some safety glasses and a scatter shield around that mason jar would be a safe bet.

That would seem like a good plan. I don't plan to use the use the jar as a vacuum vessell for too much longer, but in the mean time I may put some protection around it.

Thanks for the safety tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You have come a fantastic long way since you first asked me for advise. I do not ever recall having any people I have taught, advance so incredibly fast. Kudos to you. That said There are a few things I feel obligated to mention. You need to spend some time studying the copyright laws, and please do not take this as a bad thing, but as fast as you go with this, last thing I would like you to see is the letters coming in, asking you to seize and desist. May I offer the following opinion, as this is a principle I have held on to since I started many moons ago. It is quite simple, unlike the copy right laws, if you are going to give a piece, and receive any compensation.... ( does not matter if it is Coors Light, beef jerky, or any monitory donations) then you should make it yours from scratch. Ie.... Mould up without having any physical input from any other manufacture. It does not matter to me what you decide, but I would like you to be very successful.... I really do, so please don't take this the wrong way. I think you are doing awesome, and would love to bring this out, before the letters, and pm's begin. That said.... onward with the Dark side Fabbing.....

Hi earling!

I remember you talking a little about this topic in some of your past project posts, and it's always something that I have kept in mind.

I enjoy creating these projects from scratch. Not only the process to get from nothing to something that looks and works well, but the knowledge that I can look at something that I made and know that it is mine. A design and product that I can truely call my own, and something that I could offer for sale without any risk of infringing on copywright laws.

With that said, I am unclear if you mention this due to something that I am doing or have done. In other words, do you feel that I am walking a fine line here and infringing on copywright laws somehow, or are you simply mentioning this as a reminder of something to avoid?

Thanks for all of your feedback and help. I really appreciate it.
Thanks again everyone!

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #379
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
i don't like pretty farkles, or exceedingly expensive motorcycles, or most things for that matter.

but

these are beautiful. reallllly beautiful. you should sign them permanently somehow. if you have a multi-million dollar motorcycle parts business someday(or not), it would be badass to see your own early stuff show up on a bike.

you know ?

I totally know, and have considered this a little bit. BTW, I really appreciate the kind words.

I painted a DS helmet that I have with Posca paint pens. I have been thinking of using one of these pens to sign my parts. I could also design a little logo or something and lay it up with the rest of the composite stack.

Hmm. Now you've given me something new to think about.

Here a few pics of that helmet for your viewing pleasure.

If you haven't messed around with those Posca paint pens, they really are great. Check em out.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #380
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,512
Yes and no.... I will give you an example....... If you use a moose racing bend piece of aluminum to create a composite over, you expose yourself to in this case moose racing, who could claim royalties. Do this while picturing said procedure on a public forum, and it now is chiseled in stone. Do the same procedure per your own bend aluminum piece...... Nothing. That becomes more so if you simply made a print of a whole moose guard...... You get the drift. Now that is a far out scenario, I know, but you are at the mercy of in this case moose racing. I am proud to say, I have never gotten any issues, by observing the above example.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #381
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Yes and no.... I will give you an example....... If you use a moose racing bend piece of aluminum to create a composite over, you expose yourself to in this case moose racing, who could claim royalties. Do this while picturing said procedure on a public forum, and it now is chiseled in stone. Do the same procedure per your own bend aluminum piece...... Nothing. That becomes more so if you simply made a print of a whole moose guard...... You get the drift. Now that is a far out scenario, I know, but you are at the mercy of in this case moose racing. I am proud to say, I have never gotten any issues, by observing the above example.
check out the awesome lid. its a skyline, not 'the sky is falling'.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #382
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
check out the awesome lid. its a skyline,
Your correct, he is doing fantastic, with only small setbacks....

not 'the sky is falling'.
Your correct, as my opinion on the matter. I would like it to stay as such.

Erling
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #383
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,324
I just stumbled into this. GREAT thread. Being a DIY guy also, I'll probably give this a whirl too. Great job by the way.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #384
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yes and no.... i will give you an example....... If you use a moose racing bend piece of aluminum to create a composite over, you expose yourself to in this case moose racing, who could claim royalties. Do this while picturing said procedure on a public forum, and it now is chiseled in stone. Do the same procedure per your own bend aluminum piece...... Nothing. That becomes more so if you simply made a print of a whole moose guard...... You get the drift. Now that is a far out scenario, i know, but you are at the mercy of in this case moose racing. I am proud to say, i have never gotten any issues, by observing the above example.

I understand what you are saying, and i'll have to admit that i don't know the first thing about copywright laws. Now i'm sure that i'm wrong here, but it seems crazy to me that i could be infringing on cw laws just by simply using the contour of the moose racing hand guard as part of my design in the deflectors. What about those manufacturers out there that make aftermarket parts for cars that are designed, and sometimes contoured to fit onto other parts of the cars that they are built for? The original design of the car must have been used for the designers of the aftermarket parts to be made. Maybe all those after market guys are paying royalties; i dont' know. It is something to keep in mind.

thanks, earling!
Quote:
check out the awesome lid. Its a skyline, not 'the sky is falling'.

thanks, ohgood! It's the seattle skyline if anyone was wondering.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #385
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
I just stumbled into this. GREAT thread. Being a DIY guy also, I'll probably give this a whirl too. Great job by the way.
Thanks, Danjal! When you get your project started, post some pics of it in this thread if you want. It's always fun to see other peoples projects. Of course if you have any questions, post those up too!

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #386
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
Thanks, Danjal! When you get your project started, post some pics of it in this thread if you want. It's always fun to see other peoples projects. Of course if you have any questions, post those up too!
Its going to be a while. I have 7-8 weld projects going on, quite a few gun builds, refinishing, a dr650 to finish farkles on, and a place to manage. I'll probably try making some CF panels for the 650 when I get to it.

Just a PS. The writeup, links, etc that you added.. amazing. I wish more folks would do this. Im pretty confident by page 10 id have everything down and on my way thanks to your write up.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #387
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 311
Quote:

Just a PS. The writeup, links, etc that you added.. amazing. I wish more folks would do this. Im pretty confident by page 10 id have everything down and on my way thanks to your write up.
I second that. Been following your thread for a while now. Amazing. So is your art. Really been digg'en this.

BTW, get'em Kyle. :)
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #388
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Thank you, Danjal! I figured that some kind of content structure would be the only way this thread would be successful if I was going to continue with it. It's good to hear that it's working.

Don't forget to post up some pics of your project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
I second that. Been following your thread for a while now. Amazing. So is your art. Really been digg'en this.

BTW, get'em Kyle. :)

Hi Redclay! Thanks for the words, man! Are you thinking of getting into a project of your own?
Thanks, guys!

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #389
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

You and me both... regarding the copyright laws. They are sort of clear ( as mud...) and, there are many interpretations of them....even among judges...etc. In the example above. You used a product from a known manufacture.....
( Picture on page 19 of this thread. Picture is publicized, on a web forum) The part that you will be defending in the court room, is that A.... you copied their excact shape.... and B....by using their product to enhance your own project, rather than if you bend your own bar. This case is a bit farther out, as compared to say if you covered their plastic. That is a given. BUT...... I guess what I am eluding to here, is, you are exposing yourself.... Perhaps the most, by publically announcing that you used their product to enhance your own, by publishing it on a WWW forum. Key word on the latter part. Now.... would they ever come after you.... properly not..... They might just look at hiring you instead, as you clearly have proved to them, that you are a go getter.... So rather than turning this great thread into copyright thread, I will just close with the following advise. Try at all costs to make it all from scratch.... even if that means you buy an aluminum rod, and bend it to the same shape as the one used. I know you can do this. If you feel there are no way around this..... Cover the logo....... You follow the above.... your safe. Great job amigo.

Erling
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #390
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Resin Catch/Degas Pot

I had been thinking of upgrading the resin catch/degass pot for a little while now, and bomber1965's post drew the final line.

Harbor Freight to the rescue! Doesn't HF always come to the rescue?

I picked up their 2.5 gallon pressure pot used for spray painting.

I replaced the spray fittings with brass fittings to work with my current vacuum system.

I love it. It's heavier down low so it doesn't want to tip at all. It's easy to quickly seal, so degassing resin will be a sinch, there is lots of room inside which is good for degassing resin, and now the vacuum gauge is mounted in a much better place.

If you get into resin infusion and you are looking for a good quality, affordable catch/degassing pot look no further.

Now we just need to make some projects with it.

Stay tuned...

My Virgin ADV Trip