User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,387
Airless paint sprayers?

*arrrr* it's the life of a homeowner for me matey!

Just bought a house - my first. Some of the rooms could use new paint - two large rooms (living room and dining room) and a large hallway between them.

The exterior could use paint too - but I am going to wait on that until next year.

I haven't moved in yet, so now is a good time to paint the interior that needs it. I have to prep anyway (lay down coverings and mask stuff off) so I am thinking of using an airless paint sprayer. Don't want to spend thousands on one - I am only going to use it intermittently (this year, next year, then maybe in 5 to 10 years).

Going to use water based latex enamel for the interior (not sure about the exterior yet). I know airless tends to put paint on thin, so I will do multiple coats.

So I am thinking something like the Wagner Procoat.

Recommendations?

Thanks.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

This one looks better than the Wagner:

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint...1#.UF3jvaRSTZc
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
This one looks better than the Wagner:

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint...1#.UF3jvaRSTZc
My wife and I used that to paint the house. It worked very well. I'm curious to see if I cleaned it well enough to use a second time
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,436
Rent one. Rent it again when you paint the exterior. Unless you're going in the business, then buy a good one.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnsurf View Post
My wife and I used that to paint the house. It worked very well. I'm curious to see if I cleaned it well enough to use a second time
Supposedly you just hook it up to the water hose and run water through it.

I am sure that there is probably more cleanup, but that would be a good first try at cleaning it out.

I also like that you just stick the input hose into the paint bucket.

The reviews say it is good - unlike the Wagner products which seem to have very mixed reviews.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McB View Post
Rent one. Rent it again when you paint the exterior. Unless you're going in the business, then buy a good one.
I think renting one for the time that I will be using it will cost as much (or more) as buying this one. Rental is like $75 per day, $400 per week.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
As an ex painting contractor, I can tell you it would pay you to go with Graco. Much more dependable and longer lasting than Wagner. Go to Lowe's and pick up a decent one for a decent price.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
As an ex painting contractor, I can tell you it would pay you to go with Graco. Much more dependable and longer lasting than Wagner. Go to Lowe's and pick up a decent one for a decent price.
I prefer Lowe's over Home Despot (HD has some questionable ethics), but Lowe's has crap for selection. They don't carry a lot of stuff, including Graco X5 airless sprayers. They only have 3 airless sprayer at the store I shop at and they have no X5 models within 50 miles. The HD less than 5 miles away has what I want. What's a guy to do if they don't stock what I need and I need it today not next week?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Wastegate84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I work for HD rental as the tech and talk to people 4 to 5 times a week about paint sprayers, IMO for what you are doing just rent, Unless you are going to be using it 3 or 4 times a year and clean it out very well and store it properly its worth the money to rent. The last thing you want is to spend all that money on one and have it need new seals because it wasn't cleaned very well..

For the inside you shouldn't be more then a day rental and for outside maybe 2 days tops.

Just remember to prep (Mask of anything and everything you don't want paint on) before you pick up the machine and have a second person to back roll after you have sprayed.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
^ what he said. Rent it. Also, don't think that airless lays down only a thin coat, it can lay it on thick if need be.

all the squirrely homeowner airless rigs not worth a shit. Go with Graco if you think you need to buy one.

It is paramount that you clean and lube them very good each time you use one.

Practice your stroke on some throw away material before before application to surfaces that you care about. Make sure your hand is moving before you pull the trigger and moving when you let go. Laying down latex enamel will require more practice than regular wall latex.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I got the Graco X5.

I have to paint 3 rooms, but I am not sure if I can get the prep done today in order to paint tomorrow (I just got back from buying most of what I need, but haven't decided on a color yet, so no paint yet).

Also, I have a large deck that will probably need work and the exterior needs to be painted and I may want to pain parts of the shop too. Also, I am going to put up a wood shed and a new pump house, both of which may need to be painted.

I am good about cleaning up sprayers and such.

And thanks for the advice.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
It's not just flushing with water. Pull the filter from the gun and wash it well too. Get some pump lube and run it thru before you store the sprayer. Do NOT store it where it can be exposed to freezing temperatures as you'll crack the pump when the water freezes. I've charged a couple customers for destroying the Airlesscos we rented to the tune of $1700. Each.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Wagner Spray Tech 518080 Control Paint Sprayer

Did 4 buildings with this sprayer this summer...very happy with the results...one more deck to go...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
One of my best friends has worked for both Graco and Wagner oddly enough. He said that the Graco stuff is much better.

That said, I own two Wagners. One I bought to spray the underside and frame of my truck when I restored it. The only other time I've used it was to spray the propane tank at the cabin. It's pretty much shot. The other is still new in the box and he basically got it for me for free. I plan to use it to stain our fence next spring. I don't know that I'd use one inside - they seem awfully messy.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Finally sprayed yesterday.

It worked okay, but I think I would not use a sprayer inside again.

It was hard to get the technique down right (fortunately the paint I used covered up a lot of my mistakes once it dried) and the overspray was a problem so I will have some touch up on the ceilings in a few corners. Also, the spray pretty much put a mist everywhere, even in some areas where I didn't spray, so cleanup will be more extensive than using a roller.

As it was I used a roller on the "edges" near the ceilings/etc. to cut down on the overspray and still made a few mistakes.

Given the cleanup time and the mess, I would think that it would have been just as efficient to use a roller instead.

But that's okay, I learned. I need the sprayer for the outside of the house and the shop anyway. Next year I will be doing the decks and the shop (2000 SF with 20+ foot high walls, corrugated metal siding) where a roller or brush would just not work well (especially on the shop).

I did take my time and clean the sprayer well (probably better than a pro would), following the directions, and then I pumped the "pump armor" into it for storage (used most of the bottle that came with it).

What is that "pump armor"? The directions say you can use mineral spirits.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: