Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post

Given the cleanup time and the mess, I would think that it would have been just as efficient to use a roller instead.
And at that even outside...I work on a ship and have watched them use one many times. By the time they tape everything and set up the tarps to prevent overspray, and then because it is the Government they have to suit up and use respirators, I could have painted that twice over with less mess.

Of course they have to unsuit and cleanup for coffee/meal breaks....that takes even more from the taxpayer's time.

Don't send the overspray to the neighbor's when you use it outside, that costed our taxpayers $10,000 a couple years back when they oversprayed the cars on the dock....the stuff travels a surprisingly long way even in low wind conditions.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
I would say that if you have a large area that you can spray, especially if it is uneven area like house siding or like my shop (no way you can roller the corrugated metal siding with any efficiency) then it is worth it.

With my shop the prep work will be minimal as there are only two windows and a man door (I will just be careful around the vehicle doors and they will get painted last). I will probably spend more time pressure washing the building - it has mold on three sides and oxidation on all sides - than I will masking stuff off.

The house I will mask stuff off. The deck not so much.

Inside a building, some areas it might be worth to spray, especially if it was a new house and the trim/etc. wasn't in yet, but for what I did yesterday, the roller was better.

As for overspray outside, not a problem. Nearest neighbor is hundreds of feet away with many trees between us. I can barely see their house if I go to the property line and ditto for them seeing mine. I have 20 acres and the smallest lot in the development is something like 8 to 10 acres.

Like I said, I think the spray will pay for itself when I do the shop next year.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: