Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #241
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
I'm pretty sure I take an extra step to come across a little less intimidating to females. I'm 6'2", with a slightly post-athletic build . Twenty years of military service has left me with the ability to be fairly direct. So, here is what I do: I only take on classes where I can do both the classroom and range - this allows me to establish a relationship with each student prior to going out to the range. By the time we get on the bikes they know who I am, and that I really am concerned about them having a good experience.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #242
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Indeed. News flash- Whether you fall off a Vespa or a YZX1000RR, the pavement is just as unforgiving.

In Oregon there are three scooters (Buddy 125s) at every permanent site and two for the mobile sites- one is a spare, the other one or two are available to be reserved. Some sites the scooters are booked up well in advance.
Yeah ... physics takes no notice of brand.

I happen to know several scooter riders and if anyone said they were not riding a motorcycle a lively discussion would take place

AFAIK all the rider schools here have them and they are in demand.
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #243
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Shogs, yes, they are ignoring you!!! This question is a controversial one.
And you can ride the wheels off a bike......which never hurts.

Understandably you treat males and females differently. Kind of the point I was trying to make in my round a bout OCD way.

I would love to have the time to do the Rider Coach thing. Unfortunately I am either working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week or knocken my wife up.....
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #244
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
[Klay]
English
[/Klay]
That's pretty basic...

But you MSF preachers still suck

Particularly the data guy who has never ventured much according to his profile. I repeat, anybody at all can be shown how to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot. If MSF instructors want to screen candidates for their convenience, I say they are impostors and their program is a fraud.

Pantah screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 05:31 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #245
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
For clarity: Crash is in Idaho, the other non-MSF state. (Unless he also teaches across the border in another state.)

Sigh.
Trained MSF RSS...even got the nasty "you're all FIRED" MSF letter. AND the MSF finds our curriculum offensively similar...

As far as the "Sigh": face it, be honest, there's folks you train and your entire goal is not to get anybody killed. They're shaky at best and frightening at worst...but they get their shot and our job is to get them as far as they can go--safely and sometimes that means an uncomfortable limping to the end.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #246
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
For those that suggest a pre BRC course; what would it cover that BRC doesn't already? BRC seemed to be about as rudimentary as it could get w/o having the instructors teaching it as if we were mentally handicapped.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #247
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Unfortunately I am either working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week or knocken my wife up.....
Aw, this isn't jo momma.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #248
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Particularly the data guy who has never ventured much according to his profile. I repeat, anybody at all can be shown how to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot. If MSF instructors want to screen candidates for their convenience, I say they are impostors and their program is a fraud.
Don't be a pussy. Who are you talking about?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #249
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
For those that suggest a pre BRC course; what would it cover that BRC doesn't already? BRC seemed to be about as rudimentary as it could get w/o having the instructors teaching it as if we were mentally handicapped.
The problem arises when six or eight experienced motorcycle owners show up for the BRC (so they can get legal with endorsements or get insurance discounts) and the one or two unlucky total n00bs in attendance end up at the bottom of the curve that the instructors set for the class.

Maybe there needs to be a fast-track intermediate class for riders who have bikes and are simply there to get the paper for endorsements or insurance discounts.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #250
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Don't be a pussy. Who are you talking about?

That woody fellow. His whole deal is to drive by and discredit a comment as he passes. Usually he is right, I might add. But he's not helpful in any way to the forum. In my case, I failed to cap the E in english. Technically he is right, but still just a troll out there with nothing to offer.

He's a pro troll, though. Nobody better at it around these parts.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #251
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
The problem arises when six or eight experienced motorcycle owners show up for the BRC (so they can get legal with endorsements or get insurance discounts) and the one or two unlucky total n00bs in attendance end up at the bottom of the curve that the instructors set for the class.

Maybe there needs to be a fast-track intermediate class for riders who have bikes and are simply there to get the paper for endorsements or insurance discounts.
they can take the one day ERC (now called BRC 2) in Massachusetts & get their endorsement. Its cheaper, but you ride your own bike. Same insurance discount etc....

Of course if you happen to drop your own bike.... well that's a shame (and can be expensive).

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #252
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
they can take the one day ERC (now called BRC 2) in Massachusetts & get their endorsement. Its cheaper, but you ride your own bike. Same insurance discount etc....

Of course if you happen to drop your own bike.... well that's a shame (and can be expensive).
There seems to be a rumor going around that lots of people drop their bikes in the ERC, which is supposedly part of the reason why we have so few people sign up in Louisiana (It happens but not often and I've never seen anyone do any serious damage.) I have also heard that we TEACH people to crash and require it as part of the ERC Probably started by the same clowns that are STILL out there telling people never to use their front brakes coz they'll go over the handlebars.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #253
tedder
irregular

Quote:
That woody fellow. His whole deal is to drive by and discredit a comment as he passes. Usually he is right, I might add. But he's not helpful in any way to the forum. In my case, I failed to cap the E in english. Technically he is right, but still just a troll out there with nothing to offer.
Ahhh. Butthurt with a sarcastic [klay] encapsulation.

I won't attempt to change your impression with reality.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #254
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
The idea is to cover exactly the same thing, without experienced riders in attendance.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #255
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:

He's a pro troll, though. Nobody better at it around these parts.
Come on...you failed to cap the E while discrediting someone else's English. You called for it.