User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #301
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Power Walk

and the power walk was as shown in the video of your post, Psycho II.

Patience is a required quality of a successful teacher.
Mrs6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #302
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs6gun View Post
and the power walk was as shown in the video of your post, Psycho II.
So what did you do that was not the same as in the video?
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #303
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Why?

For the record, the OP called someone a motherfucker in the thread title - Who has the arrogant self-aggrandizing personality to do that? .... Because she failed a class?

I would LOVE to hear her classmates & instructors take on this.

Why?? Because the OP expressed how she FELT... no need to inject your bigotry into it. There are way too many perspectives to consider to approach this subject or any with blinders on. Get a fuckn' clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
Hey asshole this has been a GREAT thread.

20 pages of open-mind, diverse conversation from every POV from decades of riding and/or teaching all the way to noobs.

I learned a thing or two and I'm married to a MFS coach.

She created a platform for this debate to take place AND had the balls to read every damn post AND come back in here to post.

This a thread WIN by every defination.

Now that's having an open mind... sometimes you leave me guessing, but overall I think you're the salt of the earth.

DataDaddy screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 10:57 AM
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #304
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

What I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
So what did you do that was not the same as in the video?
I did the same as the video. The instructor was ready after a few times for us to ride up and down the lanes. I needed some more time to get used to the clutch and brake. I was doing the power walk, just needed a little more time to feel comfortable.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #305
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
As an Instructor myself, I would like to apologize for the 1 (and I'm sure there are more out there, which I have met a few) bad seeds in the MSF program. Please don't get discouraged of this bad experience.
I prefer to teach the beginner course as usually they're aren't any ego's flying around and as beginners your willing to learn.
I have found that if I'm having problems with a student not picking up the exercise, I try a different teaching technical, but if that fails, I'll ask another instructor to step in with a different angle. Sometimes they pickup the exercise up, at that point and it is my fault, but if the rider still doesn't get it, then we suggest some one on one time, and if that still doesn't do it, we ask them to start riding bicycles for a few months and then come back.
In the brochure you get prior to you arriving it does state that you should be proficient at riding bicycles (some people feel that this is silly and they haven't ridden a bike in x amount of years and it shows).
I did not read through this whole post before responding, so hopefully someone else has responded like this already.
Don't give up, if this is something you really want to do. Most of the schools have multiple instructors who will be happy to help and most likely they already know the guy is a jerk and well be more than happy to help you learn the skills just to give the in your face response to the jerk.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #306
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Quote:
I did the same as the video. The instructor was ready after a few times for us to ride up and down the lanes. I needed some more time to get used to the clutch and brake. I was doing the power walk, just needed a little more time to feel comfortable.
If you had demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the instructor, that you had achieved the educational outcome then you were indeed ready to move on. If you felt that you weren't ready to move on, but had indeed demonstrated that you were ready to move on, then if you were the instructor might you not have seen this as an "inability/unwillingness to follow instructions"?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #307
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

Question To Do the Powerwalk or the Ride that is the question

Quote:
If you had demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the instructor, that you had achieved the educational outcome then you were indeed ready to move on. If you felt that you weren't ready to move on, but had indeed demonstrated that you were ready to move on, then if you were the instructor might you not have seen this as an "inability/unwillingness to follow instructions"?
I see your point. However, I felt I needed to practice the power walk a few more times so that I felt comfortable with moving on. At this point in time, I had a discussion with the instructor that I had enrolled for a beginner class. During this discussion, I realized that he had a different philosophy of beginner classes. The problem is that when I talked to the people from MSF they told me that it is for beginners as I was orginally told. There really needs to be much more clarification of this between MSF and those that teach the BRC. I don't want another student to go through what I went through with this instructor.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #308
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

Thumb Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
As an Instructor myself, I would like to apologize for the 1 (and I'm sure there are more out there, which I have met a few) bad seeds in the MSF program. Please don't get discouraged of this bad experience.
I prefer to teach the beginner course as usually they're aren't any ego's flying around and as beginners your willing to learn.
I have found that if I'm having problems with a student not picking up the exercise, I try a different teaching technical, but if that fails, I'll ask another instructor to step in with a different angle. Sometimes they pickup the exercise up, at that point and it is my fault, but if the rider still doesn't get it, then we suggest some one on one time, and if that still doesn't do it, we ask them to start riding bicycles for a few months and then come back.
In the brochure you get prior to you arriving it does state that you should be proficient at riding bicycles (some people feel that this is silly and they haven't ridden a bike in x amount of years and it shows).
I did not read through this whole post before responding, so hopefully someone else has responded like this already.
Don't give up, if this is something you really want to do. Most of the schools have multiple instructors who will be happy to help and most likely they already know the guy is a jerk and well be more than happy to help you learn the skills just to give the in your face response to the jerk.

Thank you for your post and your support. I will not give up. I know there are good coaches out there. I am on a search to find one. I have had some recommendations that I will follow up on. And for the record, I can ride a bicycle. I did this before taking the course.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #309
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
Hey asshole this has been a GREAT thread.

20 pages of open-mind, diverse conversation from every POV from decades of riding and/or teaching all the way to noobs.

I learned a thing or two and I'm married to a MFS coach.

She created a platform for this debate to take place AND had the balls to read every damn post AND come back in here to post.

This a thread WIN by every defination.
You have a great way with words Gwen!

Jim

DataDaddy screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 10:58 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #310
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Quote:
At this point in time, I had a discussion with the instructor that I had enrolled for a beginner class. During this discussion, I realized that he had a different philosophy of beginner classes. The problem is that when I talked to the people from MSF they told me that it is for beginners as I was orginally told. There really needs to be much more clarification of this between MSF and those that teach the BRC.
What is communicated would be very easy to confirm as I am sure the instructor would be following a time based syllabus where the start and finish times for each activity will be clearly documented. If they were rushing ahead of time then they were certainly at fault. But if the time frame (for beginners) was being met and one student wanted to slow everthing down, even though they had made the grade, then the instructor must do everything possible to keep on schedule.

When a student says to me that they don't want to move on and feel they need more time I ask them do they mean DON'T or do they mean CAN'T. I explain that if they mean "can't" then that's not what I'm seeing and they should just go with the flow, take a "leap of faith" and let me be the judge. But if they mean "don't" then they have made the decision to terminate.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #311
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

Quote:
What is communicated would be very easy to confirm as I am sure the instructor would be following a time based syllabus where the start and finish times for each activity will be clearly documented. If they were rushing ahead of time then they were certainly at fault. But if the time frame (for beginners) was being met and one student wanted to slow everthing down, even though they had made the grade, then the instructor must do everything possible to keep on schedule.

When a student says to me that they don't want to move on and feel they need more time I ask them do they mean DON'T or do they mean CAN'T. I explain that if they mean "can't" then that's not what I'm seeing and they should just go with the flow, take a "leap of faith" and let me be the judge. But if they mean "don't" then they have made the decision to terminate.
I was simply asking to try the exercise a couple more times before moving on to get comfortable with it. We were not shown a time frame for each exercise. That is why I was wondering at what point in time on the range should you be riding. Had he asked me to take a leap of faith as you mention above, I would have tried. That to me would have been a "coaching moment". He came across to me as someone who did not really want to teach these steps. Had he worked with me for maybe 10 additional minutes to be more comfortable, it might have made a considerable difference in the class for me. Who knows? Hindsight is 20/20. I don't have all the answers that is why I am trying to find them.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #312
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
The time to end an exercise is NOT when a rider feels "comfortable" with a new skill, but when they have demonstrated mastery and had a bit of time to practice it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #313
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Quote:
We were not shown a time frame for each exercise. That is why I was wondering at what point in time on the range should you be riding.
Well I've never been to a course or given a course where the start and finish times of each activity have been told. Whilst the instructor knows the schedule the student is only told the course finishing time and when the breaks will be. Most times the breaks are only announced at the time with a comment... "now we'll have a break be back in 20 minutes" or something like that.

The actual times for the commencement of the activity concerned will be with the course provider. You know the time you were stopped and can make a comparison. You might be surprised to find that the instructor was already running late and was not ahead in time at all.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #314
Mrs6gun OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Well I've never been to a course or given a course where the start and finish times of each activity have been told. Whilst the instructor knows the schedule the student is only told the course finishing time and when the breaks will be. Most times the breaks are only announced at the time with a comment... "now we'll have a break be back in 20 minutes" or something like that.

The actual times for the commencement of the activity concerned will be with the course provider. You know the time you were stopped and can make a comparison. You might be surprised to find that the instructor was already running late and was not ahead in time at all.
I guess I will see what happens in the next course I take. However, I will not take another course until I can at least do basic riding.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #315
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Whoa..... I don't even know how to respond.

"bigotry? Life with blinders? Open mind & salt of the earth?"

Who the heck do you think you are? Natalie Merchant or Sarah mcGlaughlin?

Good God, you are really into you, aren't you?!?! Lol
You just don't get it. But you're such a big boy talkin shit to some woman on the interwebs... You'll do well in ADV land.

Good for you!

Now shut the fuck up. Really. Read what has been said. Now digest that in your gawddamn brain. Think about what you say, and think about what others say.

Too much to ask???

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote