User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
2handedSpey OP
bunned

Oddometer: 237
My turn, KLR and a shattered ankle

Well, FacePlant is the forum you read but hope to never add to. Thank God it was what it was. It could've been much worse.

As I type this, my shattered Left foot is elevated, in a splint, on Rx meds for pain, hobbling away summer...
11 days ago-During a 1000 mile long ride, I went down on a completely, non-descript, flat dirt road. Sure, there was previous rain which belied the dry surface on the dirt but nothing of any significance or so I thought.

My Garmin was changing map sets, so, going about 25mph, I sat down on my seat to verify we were still on the right road, I put my eyes briefly on the GPS, the rear wheel got in a slight 2" rut, I slightly give a little more throttle, the next thing I know, the rut got a bit deeper, moisture under the top layer of dirt was more significant, the rear tire just like ice slid out from under me. Again, going only 20ish, this wasn't even a "whoa" scary moment. It just zipped out, I couldn't save it, and was just going to belly flop in the soft grass. I was simply going to hop off. No biggie. I've had to hop off bikes numerous times before.
But...

This time...

As I am hoping off, the left latch on my Gaerne Adv boot caught the side of the bike. 1 in a million shot. As I hop off, my left foot snatched the bag, the bike rolls on at 25mph . Nothing between me and a fully loaded 500 pound klr but my soft fleshy ankle.

Full subluxation with a shattered tibia, fibula & talus bone. Trimalleolar fracture. Far out. Talk about a magic BB.

What could I have done differently?

1. Stop. I should have simply stopped. Even at 20mph on a relatively safe flat dirt road. I should have stopped, put it in neutral and studied the GPS.
2. Heavier MX boot. I wish that I would have been wearing an AlpineStar tech10 boot. I know that my Gaerne ADV boots do not have the structural stability to have protected my ankle. Even though it has a steel shank,steel toe, heel cup, and shin bash plate, it doesn't have the lateral support that a heavier MX boot would have provided. If anything, it would have just been a sprain or strain and not a severe, exorcist style head spinning icky mess.

Ride safe. I was riding AT(good enough)GATT. I always ride safe, hiviz gear, boots, gloves, armor etc.
In recap-

1. Stopping, I didnt stop because i didnt want to "lose good time." Now, days, weeks & a projected 3 more months later, what time was I actually saving by trying to look at my tiny 2" GPS screen while going only 20mph?
2. MX boot- The cost of those heavier expensive boots would have been well worth the medical costs.
Sidi crossfire, gearne 12 or AlpineStar tech10. Cost a hellovalot less than 1 month off of work, a 5,000 deductible, pain & misery, Rx, arthritis as an old man, crutches, pins, 13 screws, a rod, plate... Etc etc... Just get the beefiest MX boot you can. I was told by other guys but thought my hybrid boots were "good enough."

2handedSpey screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 11:53 AM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Real sorry to hear about your injury.

You are not the first one to crash while fooling with a gps, and wont be the last.

I hope everything heals up good as new.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,053
2handed -- ouch, and my sympathies --from a fellow member of the exclusive titanium club.

You might find this thread on ankle fractures useful:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742690
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Ha, just the other day I was looking down at my tiny Delorme PN-60w screen and it vibrates so much there is no way to read it while riding. And I stopped to read it I literally thought to myself "maybe it's better that I have to stop to mess with this thing".

I ride in little half boots, but that's because I do a lot of hiking and walking around. On the other hand, my little WR250R doesn't have quite the attraction to the Earth that your machine does... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

I used to own 3 KL650's. One got wrecked by a friend of mine who thought it "looked just like my old dirt bike, I don't understand why revving the engine end dropping the clutch would make it take off like that", one got stolen and used in a bank robbery in Sacramento (I guess cop cars and motorcycles can't go up stairways, so the cop who called me asking "uhh, you haven't gotten your motorcycle back by any chance, have you?" told me) and one I sold because it was so light and nimble off road.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
I hope you heal up soon and well.

Yeah, stopping would have been a good move; its kinda like texting and driving.

Don't push it and follow the docs advice.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many accidents are caused, car and motorcycle, by somebody fooling with the GPS? It's interesting what you said about catching the boot, though it's really hard to picture how that could happen.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Good lesson! Even though I think I'm careful I probably look at my GPS while travelling too often.

Get well soon.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Hard bags? I had a couple offs on my WR250R and landed with my foot under my Giant Loop Great Basin soft bag. No problems.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Car or bike, gps, texting, talking on the cell, its all the same thing, and it seems to cause a very high percentage of accidents these days.

I learned the hard way, when dirt riding, look at the trail.
Anytime I looked at anything else, even just the trip meter or my speed, or the mirrors, something bad happened.

You can get away with a glance at something on the street if there is no traffic, no risk of animals, etc, but I never had luck with it in the dirt.

If I had to have a gps, I think I would not mount it so I could see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many accidents are caused, car and motorcycle, by somebody fooling with the GPS? It's interesting what you said about catching the boot, though it's really hard to picture how that could happen.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
How'd you get out of there? You buried the lede! "Shattered Ankle in the Wilderness: KLR Pilot Survives to Tell the Tale."
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, those are some serious war wounds. We're so lucky to have modern medicine. Can you imagine 1000 years ago, a wound like that? Bite down on something and get out the saw...

Did you have a SPOT or EPIRB in case you weren't able to ride out?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
Wow, those are some serious war wounds. We're so lucky to have modern medicine. Can you imagine 1000 years ago, a wound like that? Bite down on something and get out the saw...
No shit....I was reading up on treatment of fractures before the discovery of antibiotics and anesthesia. For an injury like mine (open fracture), the treatment was amputation. There was no good way to avoid serious infections.

I am so glad for modern medicine!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Was the first version of the KLR available 1000 years ago?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
The boot thing is interesting to me. I purchased a rather high-end pair of touring boots a while back, simply because they fit better than the cheaper alternatives. When I low-sided a few weeks ago, I was rather happy with my heavy-duty boots! It drove home the point to my spouse that there is no "too expensive" gear.

Heal up and glad you are posting.