User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Jimm Dandy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
velorex 563 as a semi adventure hack??

since I cant afford a DMC or a ural hack I was wonderin what you guys think about the frame on a V 563 on a Strom holdin up to the occasional forest service road and washboards etc.. I realize I cant be bouncin off rocks and trees etc. but would still like to get out into the semi boonies...the rest of the time will be spent w my doggie ride around w me on the asphalt.. she neeeds ro be comfy... what ya think?? THANKS
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
it depends on the weights the rig will be hauling(including your weight ;-) and the size bike. You will still want better mounts than the Velorex "universal" mounts, probably a sub frame. You can up grade the suspension, axle and wheel if you find you need to and add a skid plate/rock guard under the plastic tub and the nose. You can even stiffen up the chassis with plate steel. Velorex is light and fragile for off pavement work, but it certainly can and has been done. Not a suitable match for a large displacement adventure bike in my opinion but doable on most 650 and under bikes. If you don't push too hard it can make a fun and useful outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm Dandy View Post
since I cant afford a DMC or a ural hack I was wonderin what you guys think about the frame on a V 563 on a Strom holdin up to the occasional forest service road and washboards etc.. I realize I cant be bouncin off rocks and trees etc. but would still like to get out into the semi boonies...the rest of the time will be spent w my doggie ride around w me on the asphalt.. she neeeds ro be comfy... what ya think?? THANKS
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm Dandy View Post
I bent the shifter and punched a hole in the exhaust collector on the CB400, but the Velorex 562 was fine. It had some luggage in it, but nothing really heavy. The 563 probably has a little better frame and axle than the 562?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrRiplC7hrM pt 1 (boring gravel road sped up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEvgPXSIdg pt 2 (slightly less boring, but mostly more of the same)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEY5TL79rQM pt 3 (getting more interesting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM0_GaaALBE pt 4 (funtime)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvn8ulIqvQ pt 5 (more funtime)

I think for really nasty stuff, it's more a problem of ground clearance, which the Ural hack has much more of. :3

Leaf screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:56 PM
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 369
I've run my 562C on a bunch of dirt, gravel and rocky roads. The stock mounts just aren't up to that kind of work. If you replace the two lower mounts with a proper clamp style mount, it's better, and with correct upper mounts it will work okay.

The wheel leaves things to be desired. Buy a truing setup if you want to romp on it at all.

My usage is split evenly between fully loaded for camping with my wife as monkey and a 50 pound bag of sand as ballast.
Motoblag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Our Kenna sidecar is about the same price as the Velorex at only $3695 and would come with the bike specific mounts for your V strom and as such ends up being less money then the Velorex would be if you are buying it new and then having to buy our build mounts. While the Kenna is lacking ground clearence for off road it has enough for "off pavement" gravel roads and is build very stout. Our Enduro sidecar with the mounts is only $2995 and as such is a lot less when all is said and done then the Velorex. It is a great off road sidecar but the areodynamics and passenger comfort are not all that great for long distance on pavement travel. My general manager built a box that he places in the Enduro sidecar instead of the seat when he wants to bring his dog along. While the M72D does start at $4995 in the long run as this is a sidecar you may own for the rest of your life might be the best long term value for you.
We do have a V strom in the shop right now for an M72D to be installed. The sidecar body just came back from paint this morning but as we have 5 other rigs ahead of it, it will not be installed until late next week if you wanted to make a trip out to our shop to see how it is all done.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote