User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #121
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,084
I completely agree

I completely agree with your perspective. After I've "calmed down" a little bit (and after I've gotten back home), I'm going to resume "research" (not sure I should dignify my reading with a term like that, but...) on the Civil War and see what particular portions of it I might wanna focus on.

Or maybe just give the whole thing up and start learning more about something closer to home...like the Manhattan Project! (actually I've already done that, the "Making of the Atomic Bomb" and "Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" by Richard Rhodes are highly recommended).

Thanks very much for your comments.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Doc

you are getting a lot of advice and suggestions of places to visit and see and they are all worthy of the time one would spend on them. The history is so complex and there are so many aspects to it that it can seem overwhelming. My own advice, which you certainly don't need, would be to continue your "survey" and enjoy the ride. Then maybe concentrate on some part of the journey that moves you at a later date.
Just my two cents worth
Ron
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #122
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Doc Now in Sumter, South Carolina BTW...

I had a uneventful ride from Danville, VA to Sumter, SC. Except it was dang cold! But less rain than I feared.

Now at the home of my ol' high school buddy John Safford (and wife Ginny). Absolutely delightful to reminisce with John. I'm kinda tired tonight, so I'm gonna defer the ride report update till tomorrow. BTW, John and I were in the "Class of 1965" at Hemet High School, Hemet, California USA.

So tomorrow will be a "rest day" for me...nothin' to do except (1) RR update, (2) Multistrada chain maintenance (adjust and lube), and...(3) eat and sleep.

Thanks to all my former and future hosts on this trip; I've had a great time. However, I don't mind sayin' that I'm gettin' a little bit homesick. Mrs. Greg...if you're out there...I miss you!

--Doc

PS. Just heard that 3rd son Mark (he of Chinese wedding at the beginning of this RR) and new wife Zoe have just arrived at the Dr. Greg Estate in New Mexico. They're gonna stay for 3 months (length of Zoe's visa) to see if she can handle living in the good ol' USA.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #123
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Or maybe just give the whole thing up and start learning more about something closer to home...like the Manhattan Project! (actually I've already done that, the "Making of the Atomic Bomb" and "Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" by Richard Rhodes are highly recommended).

Thanks very much for your comments.

--Doc

Haven't read those, but did work in Oak Ridge for a few years. I guess the link is Sherman taking the war to the civilians and the "bomb" being designed to do the same. Be safe. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #124
FasterPigeon
KTM Pilot

Oddometer: 3
Gettysburg

We rode to gettysburg last wednesday, very moving place.

FasterPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #125
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I completely agree with your perspective. After I've "calmed down" a little bit (and after I've gotten back home), I'm going to resume "research" (not sure I should dignify my reading with a term like that, but...) on the Civil War and see what particular portions of it I might wanna focus on.

--Doc
I have always been interested in the Photographers of the American Civil War, but the pictures can cause the feeling you felt when you witnessed Gettysburg.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #126
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Dr. Greg & Milledue try to make sense of the Civil War...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I have always been interested in the Photographers of the American Civil War, but the pictures can cause the feeling you felt when you witnessed Gettysburg.
When discovering photography as a youth, I was stunned by the works of Brady, O’Sullivan, Cook, Gardiner and others. You’re right, those early works will affect you.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #127
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
The civil war stuff is all over the south. Even a memorial in the city grave year out here in Jennings. Though the years, I've stop, visited, studied several sites about the south. Shilo being the largest., was due to a BMW rally ' Return to Shilo, being there. The lost of life was tremendous. But, so have all the wars. Seems like war has been with us thoughout history and , sadly, will continue for ever. I reckon my first visit to the Vet's Center in Angel Fire, N.Mex affect me more personal and it took me to 2011 to even visit the Traveling Wall much less the actual one. Hang tuff Doc. Great report.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #128
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Sunday/Monday 10/7-8: Danville, Virginia - Sumter, South Carolina

Not too much to report over those two days...it was a 220-mile ride down to SC to visit my old high school buddy John Safford. I think I only took five pics Sunday, but I suppose it's worth making a few comments...BTW, I think there's ZERO Civil War content today. Sorry. I guess...

Riding from VA thru NC down to SC...

Honestly, there isn't much worthy of note in the route I followed. For example, I'm not really sure why I took this pic...oh, I know! I think I wanted to show that it WASN'T raining. Nice.

Then going thru the "low country" of South Carolina I thought this field was pretty...

I took this pic of the Garmin Montana cuz I'm just not used to seeing an elevation of 231 feet (hard to see in the glare, but that's what it is...)

Living on the Colorado Plateau (in New Mexico)...everything is over 5,000 feet. Even much of East-Central New Mexico (high plains) is over 6,500 feet. So I'm just NOT USED to seeing these low elevations...

In Praise of GPS's...

This is a good a time as any to admit my utter reliance on the GPS. I had an old Zumo 450 for years, but it finally died a few months ago. Largely on the strength of the ADVRider.com discussion, I replaced it with a Garmin Montana. Yeah, the Montana was kind of a PITA to get set up, but it's working fine now.

And in terms of (1) working your way thru a metro area (I know, we try to avoid those), (2) linking all the minor highways together when riding from---for example---Danville, VA to Sumter, SC, or (3) finding a street address...there ain't NOTHIN' else that even comes close. I've heard people speak disparagingly of GPS's, but I absolutely rely on mine. Yes, I have a map pocket, and nice plastic-coated maps, but ya can't look at 'em WHILE RIDING...

Anyway, just wanted to say that.

The "Dr. Greg" T-Shirt Design

Since riding content is pretty thin, I'll explain my intentions here...

The crossed "SLIDE RULE" and "HP-45 CALCULATOR" were my "engineering weapons of choice" during the 60s and 70s. I made this graphic up and had a friend of my 2nd son's make the T-shirts.

1. The slide rule is a Dietzgen "Vector Log Log" which my father gave me as a high school graduation present in 1965. It's a beauty, especially the "exponential" and "log" scales that are the key to doing powers and roots. I remember getting into an argument with Mrs. Clevenger (6th grade teacher)...she thought you could ADD on a slide rule. You can't, of course. You're really graphically adding logarithms to achieve multiplication, etc. I used to win the "Slide Rule" contest held during Engineer's Week at UNM, till they cancelled it cuz not enough people knew how to use one.

2. The HP-45 calculator. One of the recent graduates from the M.E. Design Division at Stanford in 1973 was part of the 8-man design team on the HP-35. He came back to give us a talk and said "don't buy an HP-35...wait for the next one, it's gonna have this SHIFT key..." So I did.

Occasionally I get a comment on the T-Shirt design, but not very often. People generally keep to themselves these days.

Made it to John's Place!

Here's a pic of the dinner table Sunday evening, Ginny at left and John in the background...

And one of all of us...(Dr. Greg on the left, obviously)

John served in the U.S. Army during the Viet-Nam war, in particular during the Tet Offensive in 1968. He wrote a very interesting article on the Tet Offensive (in MILITARY magazine, Vol. XXIV, No. 11) on his experiences, with this noteworthy quote: "The following are some of my reminiscences, 40 years later, of the greatest American military victory since the Battle of the Bulge in WWII." I won't go into the content of the article, but I found it fascinating.

Weather Looks to be Improving...

It is COLD this morning in the "low country" of South Carolina. And I had to go out and adjust and lube the friggin' chain on the Multistrada 1200S. Oh, my achin' back! But the chain didn't need much adjusting. I'm sure glad I fitted that 42T rear sprocket (40T is stock) before this trip; can cruise in 6th gear at an actual 65-70 mph (my preferred range...I'm an old geezer).

Look like we're going out to dinner tonight, and it ALSO looks like the weather might be improving. I'm tryin' to contact inmate -GREG- with whom I might be able to stay in Chickamauga, Georgia. IIRC there was some Civil War action around there. And then there's Shiloh.

Looking back over all my pictures, I've covered a lotta ground and seen quite a bit since I left. I guess that's why we ride, huh? But it's sure gonna be good to get home.

--Doc

PS. A number of people have said "ya gotta go see Barber." Well, I don't know. I'll think about it, but that really wasn't the focus of this trip. I'll see it sooner or later. BTW, the Dr. Greg family DID go to Las Vegas to see the "Art of the Motorcycle" a number of years ago. That was pretty cool.

PPS. John's wife Ginny said there used to be lots of "Confederate Flags" around their neighborhood, but they all disappeared after 9/11. Interesting.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #129
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
The civil war stuff is all over the south. Even a memorial in the city grave year out here in Jennings. Though the years, I've stop, visited, studied several sites about the south. Shilo being the largest., was due to a BMW rally ' Return to Shilo, being there. The lost of life was tremendous. But, so have all the wars. Seems like war has been with us thoughout history and , sadly, will continue for ever. I reckon my first visit to the Vet's Center in Angel Fire, N.Mex affect me more personal and it took me to 2011 to even visit the Traveling Wall much less the actual one. Hang tuff Doc. Great report.
Angle Fire is a very special place and I've been there many times despite living in North Carolina. It will touch you.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #130
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Angle Fire is a very special place and I've been there many times despite living in North Carolina. It will touch you.

Mike
pantah > Trip east from MotoGP photo
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #131
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Sumter aint Lowcountry, I have salt water at the end of my street!

In the hopes of luring you to town, I can promise a visit to the CS Hunley, the Hunley grave site [in a very architecturally interesting cemetery], a visit to White Point Gardens where many cannon are on display as well as military monuments from many wars. Also, a jaunt out to where the first shot was fired from; and if you take a boat ride, to where it landed on Ft Sumter.

If you have the time, a trip to Broxton Bridge where the earthworks still stand from the battle there alongside the Salkehatchie river. That will make for a nice ride that I could stretch into a day itself.

Gimme some lead time if you change your mind, gotta make sure work is taken care of {self employed}, and prep the 1963 Grumman RV for a guest...
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #132
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Okay, Sumter isn't low country. Well, it's low to me.

Went out to walk around "Swan Lake" in Sumter today (a local landmark)...got absolutely drenched by the rain. Forecast is supposed to be improving, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sorry for my attitude, folks, but it's time for me to be home.

--Doc
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #133
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,825
I hope you had a chance to try some boiled peanuts in the south ...its an old favorite treat founded by our boys in grey during the Civil War . more of a staple food for them but very tasty treat .
Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #134
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 271
Enjoyed the RR and hope you enjoyed the ride.

Wave if you come by this way.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #135
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Man View Post
I hope you had a chance to try some boiled peanuts in the south ...its an old favorite treat founded by our boys in grey during the Civil War . more of a staple food for them but very tasty treat .
Y'know, I had boiled peanuts in...CHINA!. They were pretty tasty.

--Doc