ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
jackariah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Granite Falls - Forest Road 41 - where does it go

Hey Cob, Gentry, GSGuy, ATony16...

I love to ride out in the Granite Falls area, but have not really found a lot of open (non-gated) Forest Roads to ride and the Mt. Loop Hwy is closed.

I see the Forest Road 41 goes fairly deep into the woods... is it any good? Are there any other roads? Has the Mt. Loop Rd. been made open and clear? How about Monte Cristo?

Thanks guys.

This last weekend, Saturday I headed out to OSO and went to Lake Cavanaugh the back way and tried to get up to Day Hike Lake (or something like that) but many of the FR's were blocked. I noticed on the very S.W. corner of Lk Cavanaugh there looked to be a very peaked little mountain with a bunch of switch backs going right up the side... I would suspect that the view up there would be great... Any idea as to what this mountain is? I did not have time to investigate as I had to get back.

Thanks and hope to ride with you all soon.

Jason

PS: It looks like last Sunday ride was a little wet... Saturday was was ok with only a bit of threat of rain.
jackariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
I've been out FR-41 a few times in the "cage" - there's a trail head at the end that's used by climbers to get to Three Fingers. I don't remember seeing too many spurs leading off 41 - one towards the end that headed west and down - in SNT it looks like it heads towards that freaky Navy Base up there.

No loops on the Mtn Loop Hiway any more, but plenty of riding still if you don't mind lots of dead-ends. And a trip out to Monte Cristo is sooooo tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackariah

I love to ride out in the Granite Falls area, but have not really found a lot of open (non-gated) Forest Roads to ride and the Mt. Loop Hwy is closed.

I see the Forest Road 41 goes fairly deep into the woods... is it any good? Are there any other roads? Has the Mt. Loop Rd. been made open and clear? How about Monte Cristo?

Thanks guys.

This last weekend, Saturday I headed out to OSO and went to Lake Cavanaugh the back way and tried to get up to Day Hike Lake (or something like that) but many of the FR's were blocked. I noticed on the very S.W. corner of Lk Cavanaugh there looked to be a very peaked little mountain with a bunch of switch backs going right up the side... I would suspect that the view up there would be great... Any idea as to what this mountain is? I did not have time to investigate as I had to get back.

Jason

PS: It looks like last Sunday ride was a little wet... Saturday was was ok with only a bit of threat of rain.
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Hey, what are you riding?

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Johnny Drunkard
sQuishy

Oddometer: 6,518
The Mt Loop is still closed past Barlow. The FS are planning on repairing it - the proposal is open for public comment until 6/15. Make your voice heard: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects...ds/index.shtml

I've been wanting to check out Day Lk myself. Looks like you might be able to get there via FS 17/1765, but dunno if its gated. The Green Trails map seems to indicate the area around Day Lk as private land.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
jackariah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jackariah is sporting a 2002 KLR... what else would a sane man ride...?

Gentry... I was the guy that pulled up next to you at the light a few weeks back when you were out exploring FR18/17 with aTony16 on your new DRZ... thanks for helping me find this forum. I had a chance to ride with aTony16, GSGuy, and Toothiegrin a few weeks back... what a blast.

This is my first dual sport. I had sport and standard bikes in the past. I always found myself going too fast and decided I should try something different.

I told my friend that I wanted a dual sport but that they were too unconfortable for road riding and thus not an option for me. He suggested that I look at the KLR. I had never really heard of it before and started my investigation... it was perfect for what I was looking for...

The KLR is a mule on the single track, but I have been impressed with where I have been able to work that sucker into the woods.

I ride my father in laws XT225 and it feels like a BMX bike with a motor... nice and small and light.

I hope to ride with you sometime soon.

jason
Old 06-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
This is my first dual sport. I had sport and standard bikes in the past. I always found myself going too fast and decided I should try something different.

I told my friend that I wanted a dual sport but that they were too unconfortable for road riding and thus not an option for me. He suggested that I look at the KLR. I had never really heard of it before and started my investigation... it was perfect for what I was looking for...

The KLR is a mule on the single track, but I have been impressed with where I have been able to work that sucker into the woods.

I ride my father in laws XT225 and it feels like a BMX bike with a motor... nice and small and light.

I hope to ride with you sometime soon.

jason

Im on a DRZ400s. Drop me a line if you want to ride sometime. Im hoping to pick up a trailer this weekend so I can get farther afield to some trails with it. Not quite the highway bike the KLR is...

Old 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,133
Now David, the only way to get back to Monte Cristo is still that road back that is closed to motor vehicles but you can hike or bike back right?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

Hey, I'd never suggest riding around a gate - thats-illegal-and-could-get-you-in-trouble!!! Yeah, you can hike & mtn bike up to Monte Cristo. There's a really incredible valley beyond the town that's a great backpacking destination, if you don't mind getting your car vandalized at Barlow Pass.

Monte Cristo had residents up there the last time I went up there - they were able to drive their own vehicles into the town - they had keys to the gate - but I don't know if they can any longer - several washed out bridges last time I was up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Now David, the only way to get back to Monte Cristo is still that road back that is closed to motor vehicles but you can hike or bike back right?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
jackariah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

is monte cristo a town? what is it?

I have never understood what is behind the gate? Anyone have any idea's? Is is it a town or abandoned place or season resort or what?

jackariah
Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
Johnny Drunkard
sQuishy

Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
I have never understood what is behind the gate? Anyone have any idea's? Is is it a town or abandoned place or season resort or what?

jackariah
Google is your friend: http://www.whidbey.com/mcpa/
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,173
Quote:

Thanks guys.

Jason

I'm up for a ride up that a-way Saturday (tomorrow) if you gotcher ears on!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Wussy Girly Yanks
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Wussy Girly Yanks

And you are?............ oh, Canadian im gathering......

gentry screwed with this post 06-11-2005 at 11:09 AM
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Wussy Girly Yanks
Unfair to say until you ride with us Wussies ---- and yes - where are you???

enjoy

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

WTF? Where did that come from? Fred, I'll be in Hope Friday July 1st at about 8am on a fully loaded Green KLR. Get the keys from your wife, take the shackles off your testicles, get your bike out of mothballs, and put up or shut up.

Quote:
Wussy Girly Yanks