User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
moose97 OP
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 166
ATGATT for newbys on an extreme budget

I started riding about a year ago, and have made some equipment mistakes along the way. The cost associated with getting into motorcycling is atrocious, especially since one of my motivations was mpg savings (driving a Dodge Ram at 11 mpg). So, anyway, I bought a bike, have since sold it and 6 months later, bought another (my trusty KLR).

But gear is what I wanted to talk about. As much of a deal as my $1250 motorcycle was, it still represents a huge purchase for me. I have bought a few pieces of safety gear, but still strive to upgrade as I go and get to ATGATT since I can't afford another $1000 in gear (Rideapart did an article about the "budget" option being that price, and I gave my list below and was told I shouldn't ride if this was all I wore). I also have the "big & tall problem," and won't bog this down with that. I've started a few other threads on that problem. So, here's where I sit:
  • HJC CL-33 helmet. Got it free with the first bike I bought, and in hindsight, don't like it much. High on the upgrade list, but behind buying items I don't have.
  • First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Older version (not sure if it's a 3.0 or 2.0) but I got it off the BMW mailing list used for $125 shipped, and it was virtually new. Fantastic jacket and I wear it daily!
  • Dr. Martin Caden boots. Not MC designed boots, but they do have a steel toe. Had these before riding, and the best part, to me, is that they have a leather cover over the laces. I'll upgrade, but they're at the bottom of the list for now
  • Mechanix Mpact gloves. Not MC designed gloves, and top of my upgrade list. They at least have some padding, but these were my "work gloves" before riding.
  • Pants. None, so this is where I'm focusing my purchase needs at the moment. Currently looking into Aerostitch Darien, First Gear Kathmandu and Klim Dakar. Will be looking at used options here in the Flea Market section.

So, in the spirit of the thread, I'd love to read about what folks have bought, and where they've found the item, on a budget. Maybe I'll win the Power Ball and not have to worry about it, and go out and buy all new gear and a new motorcycle. Until then - fire away!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer: 262
http://www.motorcyclegear.com

Sometimes you can get some decent deals on the last chance clearance stuff, lots of big tall and fat, free shipping most of the time for the USA as well.
stevie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'll second motorcyclegear.com (used to be newenough.com), I have bought HJC helmets, Joe Rocket and First Gear jackets and a pair of pants (can't recall the brand right now). I am 6'3" and 290 lbs. The only advice is to sign up for their emails and check the site as often as you can as the really great deals sell out fast. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
nk14zp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
I sit:
  • Pants. None,
  • Sounds like a cold ride.
nk14zp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Aerostich and Klim aren't what people consider bargain brands. If you are on a budget, you should try the Flea Market, and could probably try Firstgear, Olympia, Joe Rocket etc... It isn't stellar quality, but they work reasonably well.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
StriderTB
Strudel

Oddometer: 118
Personally, I recommend the Tourmaster Flex pants. They have zip off covers that expose mesh underneath, so you can use them all year without melting or freezing. They also include a quilted thermal liner, and a rain liner, although I'm not a fan on rain liners on pants that can get waterlogged. I just wear a pair of Frogg Toggs over them if it's stormy.

They're around $170 new, and I'm sure you can find a pair secondhand for much less.
StriderTB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Also here, I have a pair of their winter gloves and just bought their scorcher pants which seem to be well made a cut above Cycle Gears house brand, and read one crash report where they held up and protected the rider.

http://www.compacc.com/p/shadow-scorcher-2-mesh-pants
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
moose97 OP
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Aerostich and Klim aren't what people consider bargain brands.
I know. Kind of hoping for a smoking deal in the Flea Market, or wait and save up...
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,526
Since you like your FirstGear Kilimanjaro, you'll probably like the FG HT Overpants that match it. Made to be worn over your jeans with full length zippers on the sides so easy to get in and out of. Also, come in long sizes if needed.

Like your Kili, the HT pants have been around a long time so you might find a used pair in your size in the flea market, eBay or other online classified. If not, new is reasonable priced ($160).

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Phil.Ottawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I shop at http://rockymountainmc.com all the time. Click closeouts and see their best prices on stuff. My GF just got armoured textile street pants there MSRP $249 for $49. They usually only have the small or large sizes left. It is nice, just put in your size and it will tell you what it has in that size.
Phil.Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
StriderTB
Strudel

Oddometer: 118
I would suggest buying something inexpensive now, so you can start wearing it, instead of saving up for something more expensive, while riding unprotected. You can always save up again for better gear, while also selling off the old stuff you're replacing.
StriderTB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Keep an eye out for any deal on the FirstGear HT Air Overpants. These will serve you well through almost any riding conditions you will see, except for extreme cold (<40), in which case you may want to wear a thermal layer under your jeans. The non-air versions are good too, if you are doing more riding in colder weather and less >80 or so, and can be purchased w/o the thermal liner for ~$50 less than the full 'package' price.

Get a good pair of boots. Most non-MC boots won't have the ankle support you need. Steel toes can come back and bite you (literally, bite your toes off...). As others have mentioned, watch the closeouts on MotorcycleGear.com (especially the 'Last Chance' area - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ance_bargains/). If you act quick, you can sometimes score a good deal on SIDI boots there.

Ditto gloves. You want a pair that will slide when your palm hits the pavement, not grab. Even a cheap pair of MC gloves would probably be better than Mechanix gloves. Here's a decent pair of waterproof touring gloves for $50 - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...gt_gloves.html
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
+1 on what these guys are saying. I'm a cheap b-tard so I'm always trying to pay way less than retail. Here are a few tips I use to get the best deals - a lot of this stuff applies to street and track gear only, not so sure about off road gear:

- Constantly peruse the classifieds here and on other MC-specific forums for used but undamaged gear
- Constantly peruse the closeouts at motorcyclegear.com, motorcyclecloseouts.com, compacc.com, etc.
- Check the Rockymountain/Jake Wilson coupon thread on advrider for a 10% off discount (doesn't apply to all brands).
- There's usually a big fat Alpinestars closeout at Sportbiketrackgear.com once a year when they offload their year-old inventory. I've picked up a lot of brand new high-end A* stuff for less than half of MSRP this way.
- Ping the guys at Ridersdiscount.com that are site sponsors for other MC-specific forums. They sell some stuff at prices that can't be advertised.

As far as gear recommendations I also +1 the Tourmaster Flex pants. They're good for me from the mid 20's to the low 100s. I would recommend buying dedicated winter gloves and slapping on some grip warmers from CycleGear when they're on sale for $20. Get a different pair of gloves for the other 2 seasons you have in northern MI.

dasrider screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 12:44 PM
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
moose97 OP
Just Some Guy

Some awesome recommendations - keep 'em coming! I may jump on those gloves. As to not wearing ANY pants, well, yeah, I do at least wear long pants (have to for work), but no MC pants over yet. Those are my real priority...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
I'll second motorcyclegear.com (used to be newenough.com), I have bought HJC helmets, Joe Rocket and First Gear jackets and a pair of pants (can't recall the brand right now). I am 6'3" and 290 lbs. The only advice is to sign up for their emails and check the site as often as you can as the really great deals sell out fast. Bill C

Make that a 3rd endorsement for motorcyclegear.com, They buy out warehouse loads of previous years gear that went unsold. Great source if you're not bothered by "last years" colors & styles. They are good folks to work with & have a good return policy as well.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote