ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #121
Steve canyon
Adventurer
 
Steve canyon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: London
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
The HUBB is the best place for your research on the lands of Borat and Genghis. If you do go the Kaz, leave the green mankini at home! Sasha Baron Cohen body-doubles aren't welcome there

I'm heading to Donington on my Af Twin. Do you recon they'll give me a wild card entry on the grid?

That's a shame about the Mankini..... will check the Hubb, prefer to move my date forward a few months .escape the UK..

If the weather stays shite they might be glad of such a bike on the grid...

__________________
More here..
Steve canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #122
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: God's Own County
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve canyon View Post
Have a good one at Donington

Maybe Octobers out..

Hope to see you on telly

Will Call

Made it onto the telly! The gf feels the pic doesn't present her in the most flattering of lights



And a couple of double weekend winner, Yorkshire's own "Our Tom" Sykes:




ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #123
rexzeppelin
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 3
Hey Chris, great RR, lots of detail and beautiful pictures!

I had a question for you: I'm going to be crossing into Mongolia from China on July 3.

I was wondering what the Mongolian customs policies are for motorcycles???

I don't have a carnet and I'm going to try and sell the bike when I leave UB for the USA. It's an old 250 cc Honda and not worth too much I reckon.

Have a great trip to Siberia! My ex-gf was from Barnaul too, it seems like a nice place.

Also, any advice on river crossings? I will be solo and cannot afford any dunkings, as it were, though if I'd been in the same situation as you I'd have been under the moment I got in the water. Is it useful to walk the bike, you think?
rexzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #124
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: God's Own County
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexzeppelin View Post
Hey Chris, great RR, lots of detail and beautiful pictures!

I had a question for you: I'm going to be crossing into Mongolia from China on July 3.

I was wondering what the Mongolian customs policies are for motorcycles???

I don't have a carnet and I'm going to try and sell the bike when I leave UB for the USA. It's an old 250 cc Honda and not worth too much I reckon.

Have a great trip to Siberia! My ex-gf was from Barnaul too, it seems like a nice place.

Also, any advice on river crossings? I will be solo and cannot afford any dunkings, as it were, though if I'd been in the same situation as you I'd have been under the moment I got in the water. Is it useful to walk the bike, you think?
Glad you like my little missive. I entered with my bike at Tsagaanuur in the far west of Mongolia. They put my vehicle details (temporary import for a month: the length of my tourist visa.) into their database. From what I could work out, their system is networked. I was given several bits of paper. My bike is still there because I was required to import it, so I could park it for a year in UB. No Carnet required.

Have a look over at http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ particularly in the Northern Asia section.

As you've seen in the video, asking me on advice on river crossings isn't wise. I've learnt to check the depth and speed of all crossings, particularly after heavy rain. Even if it's bad where you are (on the road/ track?) checking further up or down stream may be easier. Or put your bike on a truck.

Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to Siberia.
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #125
rexzeppelin
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
As you've seen in the video, asking me on advice on river crossings isn't wise. I've learnt to check the depth and speed of all crossings, particularly after heavy rain. Even if it's bad where you are (on the road/ track?) checking further up or down stream may be easier. Or put your bike on a truck.
Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to Siberia.
Haha, in my experience that makes you just the person to ask. I'm very stubborn and generally only learn from my mistakes, but in this case I'll be going solo and I have a tiny fraction of the experience you have, so I need to be very cautious

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. I'll try and make my very first RR when I get back!
rexzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #126
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish
 
Tachedoutoffroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 631
Really, really like this pic.





You solidified my thoughts of buying of a TA! Thanks
__________________
'00 KTM 400EXC --plated!
'89 Honda Transalp
Sikorsky UH-60L
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #127
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: God's Own County
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Really, really like this pic.


You solidified my thoughts of buying of a TA! Thanks
Glad you like the picture! The TA is a great bike.
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #128
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: God's Own County
Oddometer: 588
I've just started a new ride report for my 2013 trip.

I parked the Transalp over winter in Mongolia and set off north and eastwards into Siberia in the summer of 2013.

The new 2013 RR is at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961578
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #129
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY
 
REALGRAVEROBBER's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Missoula, Montana
Oddometer: 356
A fan of your great rides and journalism Chris, your crazed-bones photo inspires a new fad!

__________________
We have a lot to do with how the world receives us.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #130
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: God's Own County
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER View Post
A fan of your great rides and journalism Chris, your crazed-bones photo inspires a new fad!

Hey L
Very Very Good!
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014