Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
semperriding OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
triumph explorer 1200 xc or triumph tiger 800xc

Hi folks,
I'm currently riding a tiger 1050, my traveling and camping trips are picking up and I am starting to carry more gear.... I'm 6'4" @ 250lbs and I wanted something that would carry my weight(s) easily.

My friends tell me the 800 is all I need-but the 1200 really intrigues me.

For a long time I wanted a BMW 1200 GSA. Now that Triumph came out with the explorer xc (i do tend to be brand loyal) I'm stuck.

I'm gathering info at the moment.

Any time in the saddle thoughts would be appreciated. SR

Semper Riding

2008 Tiger White
2008 Tiger Blazing Orange (Sold)
2004 1500 Vulcan Classic
1997 1500 Vulcan Classic
1978 125 Puch (Enduro)
1974 Indian
semperriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Motors aside, do you want all the extra electronics? The 800 does not have throttle by wire, cruise control, traction control, or shaft drive. I'd seriously consider these factors over the motor size. It would take an awesome rider to out ride the 800s ability. Much less ride the 1200 to its limits.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
semperriding OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Motors aside, do you want all the extra electronics? The 800 does not have throttle by wire, cruise control, traction control, or shaft drive. I'd seriously consider these factors over the motor size. It would take an awesome rider to out ride the 800s ability. Much less ride the 1200 to its limits.
I think I do want the extra stuff. I will do more on the road than I will in the dirt/trails. Is there an issue with the weight that makes it difficult to ride in the dirt?

Semper Riding

2008 Tiger White
2004 1500 Vulcan Classic
1997 1500 Vulcan Classic
1978 125 Puch (Enduro)
1974 Indian
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Ducatiparts.110mb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Do you want torque or revs?
Ducatiparts.110mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I was in your shoeslast year.

Breaking point for me was shaft drive and the single sided swingarm. I do not like it.

The 800 is a very good touring bike. Did a lot of one day 600 +km rides and a few 1200 km's a day rides with ease.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'm 6'4 and 235 lbs and the 800 is plenty to handle me, wife and gear. For straight up road riding, I take the Harley Ultra, but when dirt is in the picture, the 800 is the ticket. I ride standing 90% of the time unless I have my wife on the back, and the 800 is very nimble...
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I put 7000 miles on my 1200xc and 3000 miles on my wife's 800xc last summer. I love them both and if I were starting over and could only have one it would be a tough choice. If the 800 had cruise it would eek out the 1200 I think. Get test rides on both.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
semperriding OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys, I do like the fact that the 800 is smoother off road. However, I really like the xtra's on the 1200. Consequently, as soon as I start my new job I'm going to really look at pulling the trigger hard. I'll be moving to New Orleans - do you know any riding clubs down there?

Semper Riding

2008 Tiger White
2004 1500 Vulcan Classic
1997 1500 Vulcan Classic
1978 125 Puch (Enduro)
1974 Indian
Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Look up Theridenola on facebook. That's one local riding group. They are a real mixed bag of cruisers and sportbikes. I was the only one with an adv bike (vstrom), so it was kind of perfect. They do day runs all over the place. I have not ridden with them in a while because of work, but they're a good group with a clown or two.

Probably wait to buy your triumph until you move here. TTRNO is the local triumph/ducati shop in town. Never did business with them personally, but seem to get good reviews. If you need service, there's not another triumph shop for a long way...

I suppose this will get you started.

I'm itching to do my first camping trip on my vstrom, trying to get a few people together, so who knows, maybe we'll cross paths. Good luck with your move and welcome to NOLA!
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperriding View Post
Thanks guys, I do like the fact that the 800 is smoother off road. However, I really like the xtra's on the 1200. Consequently, as soon as I start my new job I'm going to really look at pulling the trigger hard. I'll be moving to New Orleans - do you know any riding clubs down there?
Check out http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/home.html
(dual sport riders of Louisiana).

Most of those guys are in Baton Rouge, but there are a few in N.O. and rides, lunches, camp outs, and general craziness occur quite often.
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Just go ride them both and see which one you like better. That was easy, right?

The seat is more plush on the 1200, it has some neat gadgets I don't really need for the kind of riding I do. It's a BIG bike - the 800 is enough of a pig - the 1200 is over the top. The weight and extra cost put me on the 800. There are at least a couple of 800 riders that traded up on the new explorer and then went back - the 800 is actually a nicer bike, more well balanced, easier and more fun to ride. For hiway touring and 2-up the Explorer gets the nod, although the 800 has all the performance sane riders need, even for 2-up.

If you're looking for the biggest adventure bike made, then go ride the Super Tenere as well, GSA, KTM 1190, Ducati Multistrada. For a really big guy that is an expert rider they do have their place. Me? I can hardly even pickup the 800, so the bigger ones are out of the question. 150hp is likely to earn you some nice fat tickets.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
I'm pretty much exactly the same size as you, and I've put 52,000 miles on my Tiger 800 XC over the past three years, including plenty of touring. It's an awesome bike.

I have also test-ridden a friend's Tiger Explorer. It's also an awesome bike -- handles great, very comfortable, feels like I could point it at the horizon and just keep going. When I got off it, the first words out of my mouth were, "When I finally do that trip to Alaska, I have GOT to budget for one of these!"

Then I got back on my T800XC, and it felt like a big dirtbike in comparison. Lighter, nimbler, more minimalist.

I happen to like the 800's relative simplicity. I have to admit, I don't fully trust lots of electronics on motorcycles. That particular Tiger Explorer ended up going back to Triumph due to electronic problems the dealer couldn't solve and was replaced with a new bike (though that one has been perfect). And another friend with a Ducati Multistrada has had nothing but problems with the electronics on his bike, to the point he's ready to set fire to the damn thing. One of the nice things about the Tiger 800 is that there's just not as much chance of something breaking.

If my barn burned down and I had to buy a new bike? I'd get another Tiger 800 XC, without question.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
For any of the "it's too big it's too heavy get the 800" crowd I'll take my Explorer anywhere you'll go on the 800 any time. The weight disappears as soon as the bike moves and the 1200 has a much better spread on the gearing. The 1200 will crawl along much slower without excessive clutch slipping and it's much more relaxed on the slab at speed. It's much more nimble on tight twisty roads and is more stable in crosswinds at speed. I've owned both and the 1200 is my favorite bike of 30 or so street and dual sport bikes I've owned. And yes I use every bit of the power available at times.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
For any of the "it's too big it's too heavy get the 800" crowd I'll take my Explorer anywhere you'll go on the 800 any time. The weight disappears as soon as the bike moves and the 1200 has a much better spread on the gearing. The 1200 will crawl along much slower without excessive clutch slipping and it's much more relaxed on the slab at speed. It's much more nimble on tight twisty roads and is more stable in crosswinds at speed. I've owned both and the 1200 is my favorite bike of 30 or so street and dual sport bikes I've owned. And yes I use every bit of the power available at times.
It's not for everybody. I'm one of the 'it's too heavy' riders. Most of the guys I ride with are 10-15 years younger and many are much larger in stature. Next month I'll be 57, I'm 5-10 180lbs. I joke that I'm old and weak, but it's really true. I have a herniated disc in my back from at least 6 back injuries, onset of arthritus and carpel tunnel in at least one forearm, and a shoulder impingement that just doesn't seem to get better. The 800 with gear is at the very upper limit of what I can pickup from a lay down, and even then I really shouldn't. If you ride off pavement YOU WILL LAY THE BIKE DOWN. A bigger bike would simply be out of the realm of my ability to upright the bike. What I have going for me is over 40 years of riding, and many consider me to me advanced to expert level of skill.

If you're young and fit, or even old and fit, good for you. Take into consideration that there are different size bikes for different capabilities. Perhaps I didn't qualify my former statement, normally I do. But I did say something to the effect of a 'large rider' with 'expert' capabilities. Again, if this describes you, that's just outstanding. But please don't puff yourself or your bike up just because. Enjoy your time, for like all of us it is limited.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperriding View Post
Hi folks,
I'm currently riding a tiger 1050, my traveling and camping trips are picking up and I am starting to carry more gear.... I'm 6'4" @ 250lbs and I wanted something that would carry my weight(s) easily.

My friends tell me the 800 is all I need-but the 1200 really intrigues me.

For a long time I wanted a BMW 1200 GSA. Now that Triumph came out with the explorer xc (i do tend to be brand loyal) I'm stuck.

I'm gathering info at the moment.

Any time in the saddle thoughts would be appreciated. SR

I'm looking at this options and maybe a GS-LC....
I bought a 2014 Bonneville and before 100kms I realized it's not for me... I need an adventure bike. Nice bike the Bonnie, but while riding I can't stop thinking I wish I had my 990 to ride into that mountain fire roads.

I'm not willing too much off road, but yes some good fire roads. I like the ExplorerXC has traction control, good for wet pavement......But I've read the GS is the unquestionable best bike on this size!

Te 800XC Is tempting.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.

Venteuri screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 05:03 PM
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote