User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
stumpy-ktm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
need smart thinkers .....

ok , heres the deal , i need to design a way to stop my right foot from coming off the footpeg as i ride . ( i wear a prosthetic leg from above the knee down )... most times while riding i cant feel if my foot is getting vibrated off the peg ,, i dont want a clamp system that holds my foot on , because i still need to get it off the peg quick ... i also have to deal with the angles that my ankle and knee produce so i cant place my foot flat on the peg either .... im thinking something simple like a rod welded to the peg coming forward about 150mm and bent upwards to stop it coming forward and maybe one off the side to stop vibrating off the side either .... any ideas ?... heres how my foot sits . cheers

stumpy-ktm screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 10:38 PM Reason: forgot the pic
stumpy-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
what about a longer & wider footpeg. might assist with this. a friend back in the '90s did this for his prosthetic foot.
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
stumpy-ktm OP
Adventurer

i know i shouldnt really care ...but i kinda dont want to look like i need it ..... as minimalist as i can go .... ....kinda hard to explain ...
cheers mate
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
i need to design a way to stop my right foot from coming off the footpeg as i ride .
Brain storming. I love it. First idea is this. the cleats sitting in the foot peg should hold the foot in place unless you hit a lot of rough bumpy roads. http://www.constructiongear.com/32-n...FQpN4AodDGUAiw

But that might make some people (ok, everyone) angry when you walk on their floors.

Then I though of a piece of Velcro on the side of your shoe and a piece on the frame of the bike. Slap you foot against the Velcro and it stays. Adjust the size of the Velcro if you need more hold power.

The pic didnt show at first I I started thinking about a brace about the size and shape of the toe section of your shoe. when I saw the pic, I dont think that would work due to the angle.

How about Magnets? a strong magnet in your shoe and a metal foot rest. Or add a piece of steel to the footrest.

by posting these idea I claim sole ownership and if anyone steals them and gets rich, you owe me.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i know i shouldnt really care ...but i kinda dont want to look like i need it ..... as minimalist as i can go .... ....kinda hard to explain ...
cheers mate

I didn't mean a running board sized peg just something slightly wider and longer. would still look like a "normal" peg. also some of the ideas posted by 100mpg in conjunction with this might be ideal.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
What about using a clipless mountainbike pedal?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
defib
Portly Paranurse

Oddometer: 122
Maybe rare earth magnets

There is no such thing as an inappropiate comment; just an inappropiate audience!
defib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
stumpy-ktm OP
Adventurer

all good ideas boys , i have thought of the magnet idea as well since the footpeg is steel anyway ....i think a combo of all of the ideas ....
cheers
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
Would really encourage you to consider adapting a bike pedal to that side of the bike.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
ok , heres the deal , i need to design a way to stop my right foot from coming off the footpeg as i ride . ( i wear a prosthetic leg from above the knee down )... most times while riding i cant feel if my foot is getting vibrated off the peg ,, i dont want a clamp system that holds my foot on , because i still need to get it off the peg quick ... i also have to deal with the angles that my ankle and knee produce so i cant place my foot flat on the peg either .... im thinking something simple like a rod welded to the peg coming forward about 150mm and bent upwards to stop it coming forward and maybe one off the side to stop vibrating off the side either .... any ideas ?... heres how my foot sits . cheers
I met a rider a once with your same situation. He just used a bungee to hold the foot
in place, but it would not prevent him from putting that foot on the ground if necessary.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
What about using a clipless mountainbike pedal?

I would try this. Get one and take it to a welding/fab shop and tell em what you trying to do. If you were closer to me I would do it for you.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #12
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 520
Can you get Pivotpegz for the KTM? That would deal with the angles involved and then some old magnets out of a Hard drive should be plenty of sticking force to hold your foot in place, especially if you bond a steel plate to the sole of your riding boots.
You ever ride round Makara? Some good trail riding there.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
I would try this. Get one and take it to a welding/fab shop and tell em what you trying to do. If you were closer to me I would do it for you.
trouble with mtb clipless pedals is you need to rotate your foot to get out of them. maybe the OP doesn't have that range of movement
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
aussie_king_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thumb

FYI - a couple of interesting resource ideas:
1/ Shimano make a couple of different cleats to fit their mountain pedals; the M-51's and the M-56's. These are the M-51's, and they release by twisting your heel out to the side only. The M-56's will release by twisting your heel in any direction, and are better suited for spin class and stationary bike applications.

2/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal
aussie_king_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
trouble with mtb clipless pedals is you need to rotate your foot to get out of them. maybe the OP doesn't have that range of movement

My thoughts too.

I honestly like the velcro idea...

I'd be wary of anything like a rod sticking off the peg, as could become quite a hazard in a crash, and more likely will catch your pant leg when you try to put your foot down.

BTW..mad props to the OP for riding on a prosthesis!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote