User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
K1300 GT Battery replacement

SO, I saddled up for a nice AZ ride this Am. Got to the gas station and filled up...Went to start and a no go as the battery was dead. Got a jump and went home. So, now I need a new battery. The dealer wants a 200.00 OEM. Is there something better?? I have fished around on the net and found some but have no clues. Any ideas???

TIA Dave
AZKomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,607
I would want to know why your battery is dead before spending $200 on a new one. Is it charging? Is it being drained by some other source?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
BMW OEM batteries are a known failure point.

I put in the Odyssey Metal Jacket battery. Sorry don't know the model number off hand and never looked back.

My GT is an 07 and I have had the Odyssey in for about 5 years. Highly recommended.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Battery

I did some diagnostics today with the battery and I cannot see where it has a discharge. I may be wrong, but for now I am gonna say it went south. I do think the Odyssey is the way to go...My friend has one...5 years and going strong.
AZKomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
chief 06
n00b

Oddometer: 7
check beemerboneyard, new lowest price $79.95? I paid around $100 few months ago...not sure if the same thing, but I'm happy with mine...(a little narrow comparing to stock, shimmed with cardboard, no problem otherwise)

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/westco12v20p.html
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,438
Batteriesplus or wallyworld carries them
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKomet View Post
SO, I saddled up for a nice AZ ride this Am. Got to the gas station and filled up...Went to start and a no go as the battery was dead. Got a jump and went home. So, now I need a new battery. The dealer wants a 200.00 OEM. Is there something better?? I have fished around on the net and found some but have no clues. Any ideas???

TIA Dave
need a few basic measurements before determining what's wrong. your K1300 GT.
BMW has one of the highest parasitic drain rates around. that means your battery could go dead from sitting too long.

to figure out how long your bike can sit without killing battery. need to measure current at battery with bike turned off. then actual AH (amp hour) capacity is needed.

need voltages measured at battery for idle and at 3,000rpm .. only use a known to be correct meter.

modern motorcycles with permanent magnet charging systems has to shunt excess output to ground. this creates heat which shortens life of components involved. most common failure points are rectifier/regulator and stator. upgrade to MOSFET type regulators are recommended if your bike is out of warranty.

ALL batteries allowed to stay dead for extended time will kill it. all it takes in ONE time to permanently hurt battery. even if you are able to recover it may never be the same. here's test for AGM.

Testing an AGM Battery
How to test an AGM Battery

1. remove AGM from bike and/or charge in place with cables removed.

2. use a normal size PB charger without desulfate mode, then charge to full. (don't use battery tender which can take several days to charge to full). don't exceed 14.8v for AGM

3. allow AGM to rest overnight after full charge. then measure resting voltage.

4. resting voltage should be 12.6v to 12.8v fully charged. if say your AGM resting measures 12.8v, then starts your bike strong for load test. odds are your AGM is good.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 04:23 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote