Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #166
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Definitely take the rider course, but then get your gear (helmet etc.) take your new motorcycle cert to a dealer and test ride a bunch of bikes before you start riding you brand new $$$ one. Maybe some old FJR if you can find one. It is so easy to make a bonehead move after 20 years off, would be a shame if it happened on your brand new bike.

Direct experience here, I took close to 30 years off, did my MSF, then test rode quite a few new & used bikes. Slooooowly. Wore off some of the newb jitters on them. But it took quite a few miles to get most of the skills & comfort back (esp in traffic), and modern bikes are so much more capable than mid 70's "sportbike" iron that I used to ride. Most modern big touring bikes are 11 sec 1/4 mile machines, just unbelievable. And the liter bikes are mid 9's off the showroom floor. Handling and brakes just light years ahead.

True story. I was test riding an 08 ZX14 one day, got it out into the country and cracked it open a bit. Thought I was maybe doing 90MPH. Looked down at the speedo. 140. Just nuts. This was after I'd been back to riding for 3 yrs and owned a CBR1100XX. These new bikes are deceptive and you can get over your head real fast.
Thank you for that advice, test-riding a used FJR is a great idea!
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #167
SAFJrider
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
You can get some valuable cross learning from riding a bicycle too (yeah the ones you have to pedal). Seriously they help with balance, counter steering, and picking your lines. The physical conditioning doesn't hurt either.
\\

as dumb as this sounds - I would agree, road bicycle to MC has improved my riding. Enjoy the FJR - Each gen seems to have its own strength. the Gen 1 was great for winter riding and roasting nuts, but it seemed to have tighter steering, gen 2-great ride, comfy in the canopy-get the V-stream windshield for winter/long tours.
SAFJrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #168
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Definitely a better level of fitness helps. I picked up snowboarding about the same time I got back to riding bikes, amazing (to me at least) how much crossover there is. If I do not board much over the winter, or there is a big lag between when I stop and then start riding, it is more difficult. Where I live the two seasons do not overlap much. It may not be boarding per se but just an off season dynamic balance sport (like MTN biking maybe).

Solid core and good strength & flexibility in hips/low back makes those long rides a lot easier. And in case of any boo boos.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #169
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJracer View Post
Same for me with 04 on mileage..................BEFORE I totaled it. I was going to be perfectly content to replace that 04 with another Gen I BUT, after reading about the latest and greatest(?) I have desires to try one. Just don't NEED to put that much into a Bike. Maybe if it was the ONLY Bike in the Garage. Hopefully one of you proud NEW Buyers will have a well maintained Gen I up for sale in the near future.
Here ya go. Not mine, nor do I have any personal knowledge of it's history, nor do I have any opinion as to whether the price is appropriate or outright rape. Appears to have some....uuum...cosmetic issues, and sports a salvage title. Believe the seller is located in St Louis.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...-2003-fjr-1300
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #170
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Here ya go. Not mine, nor do I have any personal knowledge of it's history, nor do I have any opinion as to whether the price is appropriate or outright rape. Appears to have some....uuum...cosmetic issues, and sports a salvage title. Believe the seller is located in St Louis.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...-2003-fjr-1300
The upper fairing is a write-off, and I'm not sure the forks aren't bent...

FWIW, I just sold my 2004 FJR with ABS, driving lights, heated grips, V-Strom hand guards, Givi top mount and a few other goodies- a bike that had never touched the ground, for $4200.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #171
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
FWIW, I just sold my 2004 FJR with ABS, driving lights, heated grips, V-Strom hand guards, Givi top mount and a few other goodies- a bike that had never touched the ground, for $4200.
Thus, my disclaimer...and as I have always observed, 'asking' and 'getting' are most often two different things.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #172
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Thus, my disclaimer...and as I have always observed, 'asking' and 'getting' are most often two different things.
So, you're married too huh?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #173
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,620
Saw one at the dealer yesterday. Pretty cool! Price was $15k ish. Bold new price for sure!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #174
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Saw one at the dealer yesterday. Pretty cool! Price was $15k ish. Bold new price for sure!
MSRP is $300 more than last year. Given they've added fly-by-wire, traction control, cruise control, lost a few pounds, gained a few ponies, and threw in a functional styling update- I'd say it's a good $300.

On top of that, dealers are, remarkably, dealing- even the ones notorious for not dealing. Prices in the mid-$14k range are being advertised.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #175
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Just picked mine up yesterday. $14,699+$299 dealer fee, all within 15 minutes.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #176
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #177
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a couple of friends who would agree with you, unless they owned one too .
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #178
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
I have a couple of friends who would agree with you, unless they owned one too .
I got nothing against the bike! I want it, but since you have it, you suck!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #179
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:

Congratulations, me jelly too
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #180
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ Scrub those tires in they look shinny!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote