Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #46
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
The FJR has never been a bike that rang my bell. I think it's because I've preferred the Teutonic bike from which it's copied. Having said that, the improvements seem significant and I agree with the comments about a 6th gear not being needed.

Hope it sells a bunch and all y'all are happy with it!
What Teutonic bike was the FJR copied from?
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #47
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-3350 View Post
That was my reaction exactly, before I even read your reply.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #48
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
The FJR has never been a bike that rang my bell. I think it's because I've preferred the Teutonic bike from which it's copied. Having said that, the improvements seem significant and I agree with the comments about a 6th gear not being needed.

I said that to myself until I rode one. To be honest I had no interest in any of the sport tourers until I rode the fjr. I was using my zx14 as a sport tourer and my road king whenever the girlfriend came, which is most of the time. This summer I put about 2,000 miles on the ninja and 1,500 or so on the rk, with the fjr getting most of the riding.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #49
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
The new bike is seriously starting to look like my next bike. I love the look of the new instrument layout and the overall subtle restyle. I'll be able to get an extended test ride when it pops into my local Yamaha dealer. Roll on.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #50
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I just think that a big torque bike intended for touring like this one should have a 'cruising' gear that will allow it to cover the distance at steady 70mph or so with the engine barely ticking over. From the clips I've seen it looks like 70 in 5th corresponds to around 4,000rpm. It seems to me that engine could easily accommodate taller gearing that would place it some 1,000rpm lower at the same speed and that's why I would like to have that additional 6th.
It probably could and I understand your point. I've always been a fan of overdrive 6th gears that save wear and tear on the engine.
Having said that, I've seen over 48mpg at a steady 80mph in fifth, with a quick twist of the wrist separating me from going well over ton, so the motor is very happy there.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #51
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I just think that a big torque bike intended for touring like this one should have a 'cruising' gear that will allow it to cover the distance at steady 70mph or so with the engine barely ticking over. From the clips I've seen it looks like 70 in 5th corresponds to around 4,000rpm. It seems to me that engine could easily accommodate taller gearing that would place it some 1,000rpm lower at the same speed and that's why I would like to have that additional 6th.
Mah FJR is @ 'bout 78 mph at 4K, the same as mah R1200ST wuz in 6th. Butt, if'n ya whack open the throttle (Ta avoid danger?) the FJR would spank it.
And the FJR is purdie damn smooth all through the rev range, where the R1200 get purdie ruff from 43K to 'round 6K where it would smooth out again.
I don't even kick mah FJR into 5th 'til 70 mph. T'ain't uncommon fer an FJR to exceed 200,000 miles, so me thinkz it's a purdie good, reliable package.
Hummmm, I wonder how it would do in a top gear roll on against the C14, BMW 12, 13, and 16 GTs?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-3350 View Post
I believe he's refer'n to the K1200RS? One of mah ride'in buddies has one; they're alright, butt I sure as hell wouldn't trade him. (I like "normal" forked front ends, 'n hate whizzy brakes mahself.)
I'll keep mah FJR thank you very much.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #52
Not Dark Yet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Why are you making your posts difficult to read?
Not Dark Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #53
Data
Chameleon

Oddometer: 77
Luggage capacity ?

This model upgrade of the FJR has just moved it onto my "maybe" list, but I am curious about one thing. Yamaha still cautions against using a topcase and saddlebags together to "avoid the possibility of overloading the bike". Yet they promote the bike as suitable for two riders, and they sell several topcases as accessories. I understand that it isn't safe to grossly overload the bike- but it seems normal to ride with a topcase and sidecases and a passenger.

Perhaps Yamaha just wants to play it safe with a liability disclaimer ? Hopefully with a bike of this size the addition of a topcase could not create a 'last straw' situation. Does anyone have any experience to suggest that a topcase would get this bike into the "unsafe" zone ?
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #54
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,136
Sounds like lawyer CYA to me.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #55
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Dark Yet View Post
Why are you making your posts difficult to read?
I actually just skip those posts as they're too much effort to translate.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #56
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,430
I have a 2009 FJR, it is almost perfect, these new tweaks for 2013 make it perfect. Freaking incredible machine!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #57
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
I actually just skip those posts as they're too much effort to translate.
I think his avatar explains it.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #58
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by superzoom View Post
i actually just skip those posts as they're too much effort to translate.
+1
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
This model upgrade of the FJR has just moved it onto my "maybe" list, but I am curious about one thing. Yamaha still cautions against using a topcase and saddlebags together to "avoid the possibility of overloading the bike". Yet they promote the bike as suitable for two riders, and they sell several topcases as accessories. I understand that it isn't safe to grossly overload the bike- but it seems normal to ride with a topcase and sidecases and a passenger.

Perhaps Yamaha just wants to play it safe with a liability disclaimer ? Hopefully with a bike of this size the addition of a topcase could not create a 'last straw' situation. Does anyone have any experience to suggest that a topcase would get this bike into the "unsafe" zone ?
Purdie much. When mah wife/sister 'n I travel, she packs the trunk (49 liter GIVI) 'n side cases to the gills, butt we ain't never had no problems. (I do have a Wilbers out back, the stock shock did get overwhelmed)
I would worry 'bout the luggage; if'n ya wanta comfortable, reliable, low maintenance bike you can just ride the shit out of, the FJR iz fer you.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #60
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
It's all liability stuff with topcase+saddlebags.

My dad got a used factory top case from an 80's Yamaha Venture, in almost the same exact 'black cherry' color of his 07, and made up a simple mount for it. He runs that with the sidecases all the time.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote