Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #91
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
I'm sure that new Multi iz a fine bike, butt the FJR rocks my world, not just by performance, butt by insanely low maintenance, and the reliability of an anvil.
With iridium plugs, ya only need ta change 'em, check the valves, 'n do a TB synch every 30,000 miles!
Like a good woman, it's all 'bout the total package! 'N see'in I ride most every day, this is important ta me.
I agree with this. The FJR is for the person who wants a very good, reliable bike at a reasonable price. Not necessarily the latest technology or the best bike, but good enough.

The European bikes are for those who want the better performance and are willing to accept both teething pains that new high tech brings and the cost best in class requires.

Both are fine. Pick yer poison.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #92
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I bought my '09 AE in June of this year. I like the AE (AS) version enough that I'm hoping they will eventually offer it again here. Since they had '09's in stock during '12 I can understand why the company didn't want to bring us their pricy option just to have it sit around and sell for less than the manual a few years later. Fortunately, I will have many years before I need a new bike.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #93
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Maybe it's a sign of "maturity" i.e. but I'm now looking to get a sport touring bike that's reliable, comfortable and easy to maintain without being married to the dealer for software updates, recalls and technical bulletins...

I've always had a thing for the FJR as a long distance mile muncher and daily rider... now that they've added factory cruise control, I'm very interested....

Has anyone here pulled the trigger on a '13 FJR? I'd like to hear how it is to ride it as a commuter bike.. any heat issues?

Also, I've read that in Europe there's an electronically adjustable suspension model coming in April '13. I'm not sure I'd be interested in that but will wait to see what it's about and if it's got upside down forks..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #94
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
I was under the impression that the heat issue was resolved with the minor redesign of a couple of years ago.

Also curious to see if it remains a problem.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #95
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Maybe it's a sign of "maturity" i.e. but I'm now looking to get a sport touring bike that's reliable, comfortable and easy to maintain without being married to the dealer for software updates, recalls and technical bulletins...

I've always had a thing for the FJR as a long distance mile muncher and daily rider... now that they've added factory cruise control, I'm very interested....

Has anyone here pulled the trigger on a '13 FJR? I'd like to hear how it is to ride it as a commuter bike.. any heat issues?

Also, I've read that in Europe there's an electronically adjustable suspension model coming in April '13. I'm not sure I'd be interested in that but will wait to see what it's about and if it's got upside down forks..

Yep, bought mine on the 6th of this month. Have only racked up a whopping 154 miles, she's put away for the winter and farkling. What little I've ridden her, she is all I was looking for and the cruise control is a must for me anymore. No regrets here.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #96
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Thanks for chiming in... we'll look forward to an update once you're back on the road..

I'm curious if those LED lights on the edge of the headlights are just marker lights when the lights are off, or can they still be seen and are bright enough to be noticed when the headlights are running?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #97
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in... we'll look forward to an update once you're back on the road..

I'm curious if those LED lights on the edge of the headlights are just marker lights when the lights are off, or can they still be seen and are bright enough to be noticed when the headlights are running?
Considering mine can be seen on my cheapo 300cc scooter, and they're
wrapped around the main headlight, I'm gonna say yes (for any new bike).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #98
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

After looking at these lights and rereading the Yamaha literature, they are NOT LED lights, they LOOK like LEDs. Semantics I guess. Not sure how visible they are on the road.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #99
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
t it's about and if it's got upside down forks..
A couple of guys over on the FJRforum (Warchild and fairlaner) have threads going on their 2013's.

There's gonna be an FJR gathering in June around Huntsville, Ontario. C'mon up!

And I found 2013 FJR #86 today - it's on the floor at the Iron Pony here in Columbus. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #100
xcsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Head over to the FJRforum.com site and you'll find out several have already have purchased a '13 FJR.

Here are a few links to keep you entertained for a while:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148990

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148984

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148557
xcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #101
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsp View Post
Head over to the FJRforum.com site and you'll find out several have already have purchased a '13 FJR.

Here are a few links to keep you entertained for a while:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148990

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148984

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...owtopic=148557

Including me #005.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

BruceWA screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 06:34 PM
BruceWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #102
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Including me #005.
That's the lowest number VIN 'out in the wild' I've heard of yet. I know where #20 is. It almost became mine but then a good friend slapped me in the head before I could do the deed.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #103
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,652
Quote:

RT. Even the OHC models are easy to maintain. Or a 2010 model with screw/locknut valve adjustment.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #104
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,043
On paper my '07 FJR was not extravagant with features or technology...but turned out to be one of my favorite bikes of all time just from being so very good at everything.
One of the most competent and pleasing rides I've owned. I put a little over 34k miles on it in a bit less than two years - all trouble free and fun.

Very sporty for a bike of it's type, lots of range, extremely low maintenance, and comfortable out of the box.

My only complaint was it's meager alternator output for running aux lighting and heated gear, etc.

With a few nicely chosen upgrades, it would be a great choice to do again - it surely didn't need a clean sheet redesign, just a freshening up.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #105
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
That's the lowest number VIN 'out in the wild' I've heard of yet. I know where #20 is. It almost became mine but then a good friend slapped me in the head before I could do the deed.

Pretty sure #004 is to be found over at FJRForum.