User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Pic I forgot to post earlier......

I always love weird angle pics that you guys take on various rides.

More later.

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #32
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

Right..... The weather forecast earlier this week said RAIN..... This morning it said OVERCAST....

So I wore my Twat Suit and made sure I had even my neck warmer on.

Before I left the cats got a good scare too.

I left at 09.00 as I was waiting for the M25 traffic to get less before hitting the road.

Loads of Filtering later, I left the M25 and ran down the M3 toward Winchester where at the 101 mile mark I pulled in at the Services to use the loo and grab a Costa Coffee...... then decided sod the coffee and kept going as the day was beautiful, nothing like the weather forecast.

I knew the way up to Southampton as it was the patch I worked the last year on contract.
So when I got to Winchester at the services, I started up the Satnav and loaded the address in Lymington and set off....

From the outset the bloody thing wanted to take me on a different route....

Now I know there are a few Lymington/Leamingtons but the address and postcode as well as county were all correctly entered.

When I got to Southampton I stopped and checked my iPhone maps and it said I was 19 miles from destination, yet the SatNav was still 122miles from destination..... so I switched it off and restarted and re-entered the address. this time it worked.

The service station I pulled over at was closed, so not even a person to check my directions with. Anyway, set off and made my way into the New Forest.

Camera mounted to my crash hat meant pics taken as I went along.

Loads of this ....

Along the way I got stopped at a railway level crossing and saw this pub along the way, very tempting it was.

I stopped outside Millards garage at 12.05 which showed just how well I had done in spite of the roads..... filtering has its value.

I was warmly invited in by a giant of a Scotsman, well he was 6foot plenty tall......

Coffee offered, and then the magic words came to life...... "Would you like a Bacon and Egg sandwich? "

Holy Crap !!

Of course I would .... to me it is still a special treat having a bacon sandwich to this day.

Millard got going.....

How good does that coffee look ??

By the time I had eaten this far I remembered that a photo of the feast would be in order.....

After lunch we went back to the garage where Millard sorted out a load of old kit he was going to throw out, and give me the set of indicators which were the main reason for my 140 mile ride there.....

A pair of saddle bags which will go on the South African trip next year as the GS has no panniers, and a second pair for Goose to take to Cape Town for his one XT550
Then some stunning old leathers and a HG riding jacket for Maverick to use when he rides trials.

All in all a load of kit that may have been destined for the tip, now redistributed and due to be cherished and used for another life time.

Just about to leave I forced Millard to pose up next to his 1100GS, a bike that has been about a bit with trips to Morocco etc....

The return trip was reasonably uneventful, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Except that I got caught at the level crossing again.

On the way I suddenly passed a group of horses in a field and turned around when it was safe to do so and rode about a mile back.

The group of four New Forest horses included a young one..... typically I did try to make friends with them, and while taking pics, the youngster came closer and eventually tried to eat my camera.....leading to this....

I had filled my bike up yesterday and on the way I was doing constant mental calculations to see where I could get to.
Usually I refill my tank at around 160 miles or 240 km.
Today I pushed the range as hard as I could and made it to Fleet services....200.4 miles from my last refill and showing a reserve of 19 miles.
The tank then took 20.4 litres. For the Non-UK readers.... note the cost of a 20 liter fill or cost per litre.

The last pic I stopped to take before taking on the rest of the M3 and M25 was of this drive thru Starbucks.... it used to be a shower block for truckers.

RIGHT, for those still awake....Here are the indicators.

Hand made on the lathe with his own fair hands for one of his Nortons in the style of Iron Man meets Ziggy Stardust meets Dan Dare over a cuppa SteamPunk

LOVELY RETRO LOOKING LED LIGHTS.

Thanks a Mil Millard, great to meet you and sample your cooking.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

…………. AMIENS here we come…………..

And ……………….. there we went!

No way – this is a major town/city so we used the freeway to bypass AMIENS and carry on up towards a town called ALBERT.

We noticed a sign that read “Musèe Somme” just as we passed Albert and a quick confer and the decision was made to do a bit of a detour. We spotted the cathedral’s shining spire and thought that maybe we could slum-it a bit and have some lunch in the town (we suddenly remembered that we’d stashed away some sarmies from Deippe!)

WOW!!! I love spur-of-the-moment decisions as I’ve always found that following your instinct normally allows you to experience something good.
The road into Albert town centre was spectacular!

The town square/circle in front of the cathedral, also allowed us to have a stunning place to sit and eat our food. By this time my head was doing weird things and the thump-thump of my head seemed to be more at home in the script of Capt’n Sparrow’s movie! More Cataflam-D (skelm’d over from SA on our last trip) mixed with 2 Myprodol’s would have to do the trick while Grizz went for a walk as I relaxed to get the drugs to work.

Signage for the museum.....

After checking out the town, we met a really nice French lady at tourist info, who insisted on walking us around some of the town to find the ever elusive obligatory sticker we needed for our panniers. She also gave us some discount coupons for tickets to the museum, which was our next destination.

He's here.... He's there.... He's EVERYWHERE......

Cling-on rocks..... !!!!

Looking down the stairs towards the bottom entrance to the 13th Century tunnels.

Thats it for the moment....

Hope to see you again soon.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

DAY 2 Continued.......

The tunnels have been turned into quite a unique museum. Displays lining the walls which adds to the eerie feel of the place. Having been in the Underground Hospital in Jersey ( the only part of the British Isles to have been occupied by Germany during WW2) – I realised this was not for anyone suffering from claustrophobia and remembered my wife panicking big time, hyperventilating and having to abandon the tour – in a tunnel system 3 times the size of this place.

On the one section there was a small section where a video feed ran with history of the bunker and the surrounding battles. A lot was said about the South Africans and their bravery and stand here…. A lot of respect and mention of them being seen as huge heroes.

A lot of relics are displayed and what became evident was the destruction to the equipment – needless to say this would have been far worse for the human flesh that had no way to stand up against the bombardments, bullets, gas and caltrops that were placed everywhere…

Against the one corner they displayed these two modified bicycles……… as human powered generators. No specific info was available, but we could only wonder whether this was powered by troops or German POW’s – poor sods!

Battle area of the Somme

Alliances shown during 1914 – note that South West Africa, Cameroon and Togo were allies of Germany…

German offensive and the French counter-offensive – Sept – Nov 1914

A button from a German tunic showed that this soldier believed in the same God that his Allied enemy did…………. Sad!

Poppy-Day is very well documented and remembered every year on the 11th of November….

Remembrance Day (From Wikipedia)
Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day or Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. This day, or alternative dates, are also recognized as special days for war remembrances in many non-Commonwealth countries. Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918. Hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month," in accordance with the Armistice, signed by representatives of Germany and the Entente between 5:12 and 5:20 that morning. ("At the 11th hour" refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 a.m.) World War I officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28, 1919. [1]
The day was specifically dedicated by King George V on 7 November 1919 as a day of remembrance for members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I. This was possibly done upon the suggestion of Edward George Honey to Wellesley Tudor Pole, who established two ceremonial periods of remembrance based on events in 1917.[2]
The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war.

Private William August Smidt from the 8th Bat. SA Infantry (note the German surname) wrote this poignant scroll message…..

Life (and death) in the trenches....

Three helmets that were excavated from what we assume was the same trench…….. German, British & French!

We ended our tour and found that we totally on the other side of the town. Unbelievable how long the tunnels were – we’d entered the museum right next to the cathedral….. now in the distance!

On the road back… we were also told to have a look at this mural that was painted to commemorate the damage the church had suffered.

Time for a breather.....

Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

……………….. both of us were now tired and needed a bit of a rest….. we still had some mileage to cover. We left Albert and I think both of us now looked at the countryside with new respect and opened eyes for what happened here.

Our thoughts were still fresh with regard to our museum visit when we happened upon another War Grave Cemetery……….. a big one!

We decided we’d stop here, pay our respects and make this the last. Our emotions in turmoil – we were even more taken aback with this place. Not only due to the mass of headstones, but also due to the wall panels on the perimeter. Each one had names… many names…. As many as a 100 each – mostly names for soldiers that they knew were in the battles…. but that were merely obliterated with nothing left to put with a headstone! We also found quite a few South African names…. from Wakkerstroom, Sutherland……. Mere kids!

Most of the rest of the ride was pretty silent……….. it has been a hard day and maybe finally I can have a bit of understanding what my dad went through – although the theatre was different – North Africa must have been something else! The rest of the road however was constantly broken up with War Cemeteries all around us…. large ones, small ones…. and one that was just a large mound where a massive bomb caused a trench to collapse leaving a whole lot of chaps buried. The mound had become their tomb with just a few small flags on top to designate the area.

Soon enough we came to a another small village approximately 2km before we reached Cambrai, called LE PETIT FONTAINE………….and there were boards showing a F1 Hotel…..

Pretty houses out there....

We found a “Nouveau Restaurant” – brand new – first opening night…. Shame I suppose that the two bikers were not their best choice of clientele – but the owner welcomed us with open arms and promised the very best food.

He was NOT joking………… bliksem it was nice (maybe we were just hungry) and we felt very civilised… if that was at all possible?

2-Course meal with drinks and a tip came to €30.00 – a decent enough amount for top-class food!

After the meal – rain started and we scarpered back to our hotel. I was still under the influence of this unbelievable headache – surely a left-over from the snoring – so we decided that two separate rooms would be in order…. I was ok sharing a room – but sharing that double bed was not going to happen!

A fairly good night………… and we were going to have a nice early start – destination was now decided as Gent in Belgium!

I’m going to jump the gun as far as the day-report .. simply as this little story is too good to leave until the next instalment!
Breakfast the next morning and we were greeted by Prudence. What a gorgeous girl, friendly as anything and with little English, our communication seemed to be limited by smiles, pointing and some gibberish that one could call communication I suppose!

Well Prudence is a very observant young lady and when she noticed the back of our helmets and saw the Wilddog Paws………. She tried to explain that she too supported and loved the Wilddogs……. Before we could say boo-or-baa …. She whipped her top open and proudly displayed one side of her chest to us………….. WOW!!!! We love the French!!!!

Now neither Grizz and I could stare too much without being labelled as being old perving farts…….. but she was cute and we would want a pic for our report… so I suddenly realised that no self-respecting lady could resist cuddling a Wilddog… hehe………. ran to the bike and whipped out our Wilddog toy………… ooooh’s and aaaaah’s later and she posed making special effort to show off the tattoo

Prudence & friend!

So…. Now I’ll say cool for this part…………… Day 3 to follow!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

Great write up Goose.

I found myself laughing like an outsider many times.

Sorry about the fighting in the night.....with myself that is.

Couple of pics from my stash.

Where I found Goose the next morning....

Here is Goose with one of those signs I sooooo badly wanted for the garage..... this one was only tied on with cable ties.

Three guesses as to what was going on here.

Happily relieved.,,,,,,

Back on the road.

Some more pics from Alberts tunnels.

Pipes hold a special interest for me as Nicola is an avid or is that rabid collector of old and new smoking pipes.

Many of these cabinets were just too long for taking *a single pic, so I tried to make the most of it.

Helmets from all sides.

Nicola who knows a bit about war equipment reckons its worth a lot of money.

Trench art, another thing not to start collectiong.

Amazing what people can make with minimal tools and maximum time.

And some stuff the museum has for sale.

Prices were very decent.

Cowboys and Wild dogs.

The wall art Goose mentioned earlier.

When Goose sat down in the town centre *for a rest, I went for a walk and to find him some water.....

Look what else I found *:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Leffe Blond Beer.

4 Euros for 6 bottles.... gotta be a bargain.

The moment of truth.

Gone, but never forgotten

Parked up for the night at the F1 hotel.

So there you have it, more photos.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
grizz OP
Studly Adventurer

I will get back to the ride report soon.

In the mean time I am bust ripping out the kitchen and rebuilding it.

Thread here:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...&thread=138058

Off to bed now.

Later.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #39
robw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16

More please!
robw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #40
TanMcG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Enjoying your report, especially the sightings of little Cling-on!!

Looking forward to reading about the big trip to SA too.
TanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post

more please!
+1