Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #76
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I currently have three subscriptions in various states of coming and going.

Motorcyclist....just subscribed. Was interested in a change from Cycle World and probably won't renew Motorcyclist when the time comes. Someone a few posts back hit it on the head for me when they compared the coverage to USA Today. I second that. Snapshot articles to a great extent. A full page on a long-term BMW 1600 that talks mostly about the aftermarket windscreen they installed....REALLY?? A few of their comparison tests though, have been decently in-depth, but not enough % of the magazine to balance the weak stuff. Tacky language and a "bad boy" attitude seems a substitute for substance.

Cycle World....recently dropped and then re-upped when they offered a great price and a free tote bag. Still haven't received the freebe yet in case someone reading this can look into it Generally enjoy Egan and Cameron, like so many others here. Got a bit tired of the amount of ink, month after month, over and over, that the same "darling motorcycle" that most recently caught their attention keeps getting. Just review motorcycles based on their own merits and flaws. Never saw the point of the articles on "artistic" motorcycles by the custom builders. That seems like it should be in a magazine of it's own.

Motorcycle Classics....letting sub run out. Rather pricey for 6 issues a year. Personally there's too much coverage of high priced, exotic bikes that I can't relate to. That doesn't make it bad, but I wish it focused a bit more on "main-stream" older bikes that the less well to do masses had, wanted, have or are rebuilding.

Never subscribed....Road Runner....I've picked up a few copies and enjoyed it, but it seemed to go overboard on poetic writing style. Probably to me it's more of a travel magazine that doesn't appeal to the nuts and bolts side of me. Even motorcycle tests and comparisons were a bit "fluffy" for me.

But, that's all just my opinion, which, like a belly-button...everyone has one.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #77
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
When I had the XLH I used to like American Iron too. They were the only H-D rag that acknowledged the existence of a H-D with unit cases.
They covered the 883 Cup in the 1990s. Had a woman contributor that was a racer in the series.

Haven't read AI in a long time, though I liked it back then
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #78
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I use to subscribe to a bunch but now am down to Cycle World and that is not going to be renewed.
Google in my answer for moto news now days.
+1

Information and news is so accessible on the internet, what little content there is in magazines these days is months-old by the time it's on the newsstand.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #79
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Motorcycle Classics Magazine is on my favorite list of subs.
I used to be on staff there and It is kind of like family.

RoadRunner is a very nice mag. I agree with another poster that it seems to focus on the places to ride as apposed to the rides themselves. I really root for them to succeed. Buy a subscription!

Rider is still on my sub list Clem is a classic and the staff is full of real riders. They have mostly solid analysis of bikes and gear.

I want to like Cafe Racer but it seems to try to hard to be cool and still misses.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote