User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
rev383
Yes I'm a n00b

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

Great write up! I picked up some useful tidbits.

Thanks,

Jim
RK
rev383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Havent done an IBA event in sometime now. But I always love to see gear that is specific to long distance riding especially something as nice & well thought out as your tank. Congrats on your draw for the Iron Butt! Let us know how you fair.
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Dirty bike OP
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Update on the fuel cell. After four months of using it, including a trip to FL and back right after Xmas in sub freezing temps and some high temps back when I first got the cell, I've had zero issues with it. It just works! I'm still very pleased with the design and function of the cell.

Here are some pictures of a Pillion seat type cell that Ernie is also making for the Super Tenere. These are 5 Gal, if I understand correctly, but can be larger or smaller per customer requests. And no doubt adapted to other bikes as well.

Dirty bike screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:22 PM
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
or... swap in a diesel engine and your oem tank will take you nearly twice as far; albeit a we bit slower

but right engine still keeps up with traffic so cagers don't want to push you out of the way
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Dirty bike OP
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
or... swap in a diesel engine and your oem tank will take you nearly twice as far; albeit a we bit slower

but right engine still keeps up with traffic so cagers don't want to push you out of the way
There would be a lot of interest in a viable diesel bike. The Military diesel KLRs would sell to the public just fine, even at the higher price, if that company wasn't so busy selling to the military that they decided not to bother with public sales.

Even better, a turbo-diesel bike so you could get out of your own way when need be. I'd love a hybrid diesel/electric bike with in wheel motors and a diesel gen-set to power the electrics.

None of those things will see the market any time soon though, so it's a lot easier to just add more gas to extend your range. Depending on where you like to ride, or what your hobby is, this is a easy and common solution.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
There would be a lot of interest in a viable diesel bike. The Military diesel KLRs would sell to the public just fine, even at the higher price, if that company wasn't so busy selling to the military that they decided not to bother with public sales.

Even better, a turbo-diesel bike so you could get out of your own way when need be. I'd love a hybrid diesel/electric bike with in wheel motors and a diesel gen-set to power the electrics.

None of those things will see the market any time soon though, so it's a lot easier to just add more gas to extend your range. Depending on where you like to ride, or what your hobby is, this is a easy and common solution.
ahhhhhhhhhhh...... Track turbo diesel was on the market for over a year now. Might can still get one in USA or Canada then bring over. Contact them.

Also their is a fella that will build you one out of a Triumph steamer and a 3cyl Smart diesel engine and Ultima 6speed. He probably could send ya all the parts and do it your self or at a local fabricator/bike builder. Curtis in TX might take it on too. Get the engine in Canada. Might have to pull the head and ship the two parts separate shipments as off-road engine parts.?

Building mine with a Steamer, Kubota and CVT
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Dirty bike OP
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
ahhhhhhhhhhh...... Track turbo diesel was on the market for over a year now. Might can still get one in USA or Canada then bring over. Contact them.

Also their is a fella that will build you one out of a Triumph steamer and a 3cyl Smart diesel engine and Ultima 6speed. He probably could send ya all the parts and do it your self or at a local fabricator/bike builder. Curtis in TX might take it on too. Get the engine in Canada. Might have to pull the head and ship the two parts separate shipments as off-road engine parts.?

Building mine with a Steamer, Kubota and CVT
The Track has been interesting, but at $24,000 USD, is $10k over a Super Tenere. And I have reservations about the single sided swingarm and the CVT belt. I'd truly love to take one and prove it out for the Iron Butt Rally that I'm riding in July of '13, but getting one from the Netherlands and prepping it in time at this point would be a real challenge. Not to mention getting a test ride would be more expensive that most of my vacation plans.

Got a link for this guy that might build one from a Triumph Steamer and a Smart engine? I have a gas Smart in the garage now.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
...Got a link for this guy that might build one from a Triumph Steamer and a Smart engine? I have a gas Smart in the garage now.
Since he is in opposit side of Ocean from USA he might can send conversion parts then buy your own engine here or in canada?

http://www.dieselbike.net/currentcon...onversions.htm
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
Dirty bike OP
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Ducati View Post
Havent done an IBA event in sometime now. But I always love to see gear that is specific to long distance riding especially something as nice & well thought out as your tank. Congrats on your draw for the Iron Butt! Let us know how you fair.
Got some questions off line that made me look this up again. since it was actually asked...

The fuel cell worked great during the IBR and after. I still have it on the bike and have used it for maybe 30k with only a fuel filter change during that time due to some bad gas at a station back east. Out of 96 starting riders, I finished the IBR in 44th place, meeting my goals for the rally. IIRC, 69 riders finished. A few crashes, more that just got overwhelmed with the miles, heat and the struggle to get enough points to be an official finisher.

Not exactly podium, but there were some pretty driven and awe inspiring riders. I rode over 10k in 11 days during the IBR and took another 2.5 weeks to get home via scenic roads and interesting places with my wife, (also an IBR finisher). Total mileage in 30 days on the road was about 16k. It was really good to get back home and park the bike for a bit.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Thanks for the info!

I plan on a BB1500 from Idaho to Kerrsville, TX next March and 5 more gallons is in the plans. Leaving Kerrsville might be another BB to Miami but with a couple days playing with other S10's first.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
Dirty bike OP
EVal Innovations Inc

A couple of pictures of where I located the bulkhead fitting on the tank. It is necessary to remove the fuel pump to get the chips out. It is also necessary to separate the fuel pump into it's two halves in order to get it out of the tank w/o doing damage or bending the float arm. Use caution when doing this and read up on it first.