Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
greesha OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Battery Dilemma, did research

Hello all.

Helping a friend who needs to replace a battery in her 2010 Sprint 1050 ST.

Here is a list I have come up with so far.

Yuasa YTX-12bs
Shorai LFX18AI-B512
Shorai LiFePO4 LFX, LFX 18A1
Braille B129, GTX12-BS
MotoBatt MBTX12U
Antigravity YTX12-12

Emailed Optima Odyssey and Deka

I hear many good things about Deka AGM on triumph forums.
However from riders of other sports bikes, and people using Lithium motorcycle batteries as starter batteries in their race cars, many recommend lithium ones.

Specifically the Shorai lFX 18 unit.

Bike is riden in Chicago, and on rare occasions in the cold, but never bellow 32F, 0C.

She is already on her second factory battery, and uses a tender when the motorcycle sits in the garage. It is not heated, but as it is inside of a building, its usually a bit warmer inside than the actual temperature.

With a budget of 200 for a battery, would you recommend the Shorai lithium unit?
greesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I always go with Yuasa, but that's based mostly on being an old guy who has memories of well-performing Yuasa batteries going way back.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
greesha OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
I always go with Yuasa, but that's based mostly on being an old guy who has memories of well-performing Yuasa batteries going way back.
problem is, she is on her second one of those, I just posted it up because it is one of the batteries that works for her bike.

my main question is if these lithium batteries work decent in cool climates
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
I don't know if you have Cyclegear there , but they have a lifetime warranty battery available. I like the features of the LI batteries , but the thing I don't like is that when they do die they don't go slowly warning you. They die instantly without getting weak first , so eventually you WILL be stuck somewhere if you have no kickstarter.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I just did a little research on various batteries for my KTM 950Supermoto. I was all set to spring for the Lithium battery, but for as many stories about them saving the world and lighting Baghdad , there are just as many horror stories about them. My original Yuasa went 6 years. On my 96 CBR900RR, the original battery was still in it when I sold it to my brother in 2008 or 2009, still going strong when he sold it in 2012 or so. So eventually, I decided to put another Yuasa in it. So far, so good.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,016
This is what I recommend. I have been using these for about 10 years, in several bikes, they have never let me down. Have one 6+ years old, still going strong. I do use battery tenders.

http://estoreBC.mkbattery.com/Catego...2005-2010.aspx

I absolutely do not recommend the Shorai LiFePO4, or any LiFePO4 type battery. These things just aren't there yet. They came out a few years ago for electric bicycles, cost a fortune, and failed right away. I saw a post from one guy on motoredbikes.com who had spent over $800 on them, and they failed in less than a month. If you charge them for to long they fail. If you drain them to far they fail. If you drain them to fast they fail. To finicky (and expensive) for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I dont think its the batterys fault that she has changed it two times, when storing the bike for winter take the battery out of the bike and bring it inside and charge it every other month.

and by the way, tell her that she has a great bike :-D
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by greesha View Post
Hello all.

Helping a friend who needs to replace a battery in her 2010 Sprint 1050 ST.

Here is a list I have come up with so far.

Yuasa YTX-12bs
Shorai LFX18AI-B512
Shorai LiFePO4 LFX, LFX 18A1
Braille B129, GTX12-BS
MotoBatt MBTX12U
Antigravity YTX12-12

Emailed Optima Odyssey and Deka

I hear many good things about Deka AGM on triumph forums.
However from riders of other sports bikes, and people using Lithium motorcycle batteries as starter batteries in their race cars, many recommend lithium ones.

Specifically the Shorai lFX 18 unit.

Bike is riden in Chicago, and on rare occasions in the cold, but never bellow 32F, 0C.

She is already on her second factory battery, and uses a tender when the motorcycle sits in the garage. It is not heated, but as it is inside of a building, its usually a bit warmer inside than the actual temperature.

With a budget of 200 for a battery, would you recommend the Shorai lithium unit?
Just have her pull the battery and keep it inside when she takes it down for the winter.

That being said I've had a LOT of issues with Yuasa batteries of late.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
greesha OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Just have her pull the battery and keep it inside when she takes it down for the winter.

That being said I've had a LOT of issues with Yuasa batteries of late.
Triumph Sprint riders have problems with these batteries because in their bikes, the battery lays on its side.

This is why I am thinking of a sealed AGM one, or a dry cell form optima, just need to find the correct one

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I just did a little research on various batteries for my KTM 950Supermoto. I was all set to spring for the Lithium battery, but for as many stories about them saving the world and lighting Baghdad , there are just as many horror stories about them.
Yes, knowing her, she will not want to wait for 4/5 minutes with her lights on to get the lithium battery warm enough to crank, which is what people in Illinois, where I live, have been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I dont think its the batterys fault that she has changed it two times, when storing the bike for winter take the battery out of the bike and bring it inside and charge it every other month.

and by the way, tell her that she has a great bike :-D
Could not agree with you more about taking it inside, but not all of us care for our things like the rest.

Anyone have experience with Deka AGM ones?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Yuasa USED to make good batteries, and some of them are still good, but they have been known to produce some subpar batteries for a while now. I forget the specifics now, but I'd just as soon buy a cheapy from walmart than buy a Yuasa these days.

And while the lithium batteries may have their advantages, like small size and light weight, unless I was specifically needing a specialty battery for an unusual application, and was just needing a stock battery replacement, I'd save my money and stick with something traditional.

Last couple of batteries I've bought have been odyssey and have been happy with them.

But, IMO, if you want a battery to last, any battery, use some sort of "battery tender" regularly. I have a '99 KTM that still has it's original battery (Yuasa I think). It's always plugged into a Battery Tender Junior when not being ridden and it still works just fine on the rare occasion that I do ride it.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
greesha OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yuasa USED to make good batteries, and some of them are still good, but they have been known to produce some subpar batteries for a while now. I forget the specifics now, but I'd just as soon buy a cheapy from walmart than buy a Yuasa these days.

Last couple of batteries I've bought have been odyssey and have been happy with them.
Deka got back to me.
They recommend the ETX12 AGM. The ETX12 is 5.88x3.44x5.13. They also make a ETX14 measuring 5.88x3.44x5.75. EXT12 is a 10ah, EXT14 a 12ah.
Wondering if the larger one will fit in her bike.

Still waiting on Odyssey for a response, as I dont see the sprint st listed in ther applications page.

also, thank you everyone for the quick responses
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by greesha View Post
Deka got back to me.
They recommend the ETX12 AGM. The ETX12 is 5.88x3.44x5.13. They also make a ETX14 measuring 5.88x3.44x5.75. EXT12 is a 10ah, EXT14 a 12ah.
Wondering if the larger one will fit in her bike.

Still waiting on Odyssey for a response, as I dont see the sprint st listed in ther applications page.

also, thank you everyone for the quick responses

Do you have the physical dimensions of her stock battery? Just look at the specs for the various odyssey models and see if you can find one that will fit has the correct pole locations, and has enough CCAs. Odyssey batteries typically have higher output than like sized traditional batteries. That's why I originally put one in my GS instead of staying stock. It spins it over noticeably faster.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 809
I have all three, a Shorai, Deka, Odyssey...

I have an Odyssey in my RC51.

I have a Deka in my V-Strom.

I have a Shorai in my Monster.

All three are great!

But....you must choose the right battery for the type of bike and long term storage you will subject the bike to over the years.

I chose the Shorai for my old, carb'd Monster because it will sit for long periods without a trickle charge, has ZERO dark current draw, needs lots of power to crank the high compression aftermarket pistons, and is a very light bike and the weight savings was a benefit.

The Odyssey was chosen for the RC51 because it needs lots of power, has a big dark current draw, and will be plugged into an Odyssey battery charger ALL the time. She has a PC310. Pretty small battery.

The Deka was chosen for the V-Strom because there is not an Odyssey that will fit. The Deka is an AGM and can be charged on a generic battery trickle charger, so it was the best choice for the V-Strom which will always be plugged in.

If you choose an Odyssey, invest in an Odyssey charger. Period. They require a higher voltage to charge properly.

If you choose a Deka, they are pretty darn simple.

If you choose a Shorai, remember to turn on the motorcycle headlight for thirty seconds to warm up the internals, and then she will crank right NOW. I would invest in the Shorai charger as well. You can get by without charging a Shorai for months if the bike has a low dark current draw.

The latest Shorais are much improved in the past year.

Good luck.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
Dankarnov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I have an Odyssey in my RC51.
You can get by without charging a Shorai for months if the bike has a low dark current draw.
Good luck.
Triumphs tend to have an annoyingly high dark current draw. I'd go with AGM over lithium due to this. Make sure to take it inside for Chicago winters.
Dankarnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
CatTracker
CatTracker

Oddometer: 16
I bought a AGM type battery manufactured by UPG a couple years ago and so far it is holding up well in my FZ1. Here's a drop-in for her Sprint for $44 delivered:

http://www.amazon.com/UPG-UTX12-Adve...words=UTX12-BS
CatTracker is offline   Reply With Quote