Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #46
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Just asking in general. I'm pretty well set up in lathes now. (Thanks again, for that) It just occurred to me that most projects require spacers in odd sizes. I'll probably have made a half dozen different ones by the time I'm done with the current bike.
I think if you can get lucky using an off the shelf standoff or spacer from mcmaster that is ideal but most of the stuff I use is metric. I finally bought a set of metric drill bits but most metric sizes you can get darn close if you have 64ths drill bits or a boring bar.

I hear you though I make a lot of spacers on the lathe. I think since they are so easy to make best bet is to ask a friend or make one with a lathe. Spending a shop minimum time on a spacer that takes five minutes is hard to take.

Or realize like we did that you really should have a lathe

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
JiT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I can offer up design services. I have been running Pro Engineer CAD software for 10 years, modeling complex 3D shapes for playgrounds. I can also do high end photo realistic renderings.
JiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #48
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I suppose that I could be convinced to do a very affordable composite project for anyone looking for anything in the small to medium size range. All my work is "experimental" right now, but parts are very usable and generally look good. I mostly use Carbon - Kevlar - Glass fibers.

Most parts are hand laminated and vacuum bagged at this point in my education/career. This process produces a good quality part with close to ideal resin to fiber ratios. These parts end up being strong, lightweight, and look great if they are CF and clear coated.

Check out my Fun With Carbon Fiber thread link in my sig. I'm no pro, but I'm working my way there.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #49
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiT View Post
I can offer up design services...high end photo realistic renderings.
Cool! Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
I suppose that I could be convinced to do a very affordable composite project for anyone looking for anything in the small to medium size range. All my work is "experimental" right now, but parts are very usable and generally look good. I mostly use Carbon - Kevlar - Glass fibers.

Most parts are hand laminated and vacuum bagged at this point in my education/career. This process produces a good quality part with close to ideal resin to fiber ratios. These parts end up being strong, lightweight, and look great if they are CF and clear coated.

Check out my Fun With Carbon Fiber thread link in my sig. I'm no pro, but I'm working my way there.
Have been watching your work and would love to turn you loose on something. Are you more interested in doing prototyping and mold-making or are you up for making small batches of parts too?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #50
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Cool! Good to know.

Have been watching your work and would love to turn you loose on something. Are you more interested in doing prototyping and mold-making or are you up for making small batches of parts too?
I'm really game for it all. After a mold is made, it's fairly easy to start laying up parts. What kind of parts do you have in mind? If I remember correctly, don't you have quite a bit of composites experience, jesusgatos?

Please feel free to PM me.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #51
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Good to know. It's easy enough, yeah, but trimming and finishing parts can be really tedious. We just recently found a shop that's going to start manufacturing our composite shock guards / mudflaps, but we're working on some other small, simple-er-ish products, and will keep you in mind. Thanks for posting! Am sure some other ADVbros will be contacting you about doing custom composite work too. Oh and my brother (RobertoGatos) has a lot more experience working with composites. I've still got a lot to learn, and honestly, I'm a lot more interested in the design side of things.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #52
BigWhiteD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Anyone in Southern California or nearby that would be interested in building a roof rack safari basket for my Dodge Durango?
BigWhiteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #53
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I have one of the extra large Jesse topboxes that Al Jesse no longer sells. Long story short the bike was knocked over, and the mounting bent to the point where two of the attachment holes were broken off of the mount.

Al Jesse tells me that the part is long out of production so I cannot simply buy a replacement.

I don't see why it couldn't be repaired by making a replacement strip out of aluminum and welding, bonding, or riveting it to what remains of the original edge/strip, and straightening the original mount out a bit. The mounting angle of the box isn't that critical so doubling the material shouldn't be a problem at all. Unfortunately I don't have access to a decent selection of tools or materials without leaving the job site and heading over 100 miles into San Antonio so if possible I need to get someone else to do the work.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Thanks!

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #54
muguvian
lugrubious

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
I'm really game for it all. After a mold is made, it's fairly easy to start laying up parts. What kind of parts do you have in mind? If I remember correctly, don't you have quite a bit of composites experience, jesusgatos?

Please feel free to PM me.
RiverMonster-
I've got some projects I haven't gotten around to doing that my wife has been asking me to do for my disabled son and handguards I'd like to do for my GTR. I can ship you the CF (yards and yards of 60" 2/2 twill) and even CAD models if you'd like, I just have no time to make the molds or do the layups. Interested?
muguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #55
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muguvian View Post
RiverMonster-
I've got some projects I haven't gotten around to doing that my wife has been asking me to do for my disabled son and handguards I'd like to do for my GTR. I can ship you the CF (yards and yards of 60" 2/2 twill) and even CAD models if you'd like, I just have no time to make the molds or do the layups. Interested?
I am interested. Could you post some pics of the parts that you are looking to have made and the materials that you would send along just for the threads sake? I would imagine that it would be interesting for others reading this thread to see what kind of work is being discussed, parts, materials, etc if you have time.

We can discuss prices via PM.

I look forward to hearing about your projects.

This is my most recent part.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #56
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Awesome. Please let us all know how these projects turn out. Would still love it if we could get a sub-forum specifically for all this kind of stuff, but this thread is a good start. Would like to get more people involved, and with a lot more than metal fabrication. Collectively, we've got all kinds of amazing resources and it would be cool to create some kind of index/showcase for ADV talents.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #57
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Oooooooohhhhhh COOL THREAD!!!!!!

Just stumbled upon this thread.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #58
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Are there any professional knifemakers on here? Would like to have a small batch of these knives made.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #59
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Have you tried contacting spyderco? They have taken a couple of customer designs into production in the past. I've been carying one of their knives every day for 20 years. I still have my first one that I carried for 12 years till I upgraded to a titanium handled knife of the same model. Fantastic high quality products and great customer service.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #60
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks for the suggestion and yeah, I've talked to a few different knife companies about other projects in the past, but would like to make/sell these with my brothers, through GatosBros.