ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #481
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
+1 on needing to find some bags. I make bags, like the crash bar bags, but I'm still looking at options for side bags. If I could find a reasonably price set of bags, I could easily modify them to attach to the rack system. I too prefer a soft bag over the hard aluminum boxes or the large ammo cases.

I've been considering the fabric options for making a custom set, ideally a silicone coated cordura. We had a fabric coating manufacturer in CT (Amerbelle), but sadly they went out of business recently. I plan to make some calls and see what I can come up with for material. By year's end I'd like to decide which direction to commit to and get moving on making it happen.

I'm still pretty new to this "adventure camping" business and there's quite a learning curve. Camping for days on end with minimal supplies is hard enough. Combining that with long distance off road (international) motorcycling certainly presents another whole set of considerations.
Ji love my Ortliebs 100% waterproof and very light
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #482
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,143
I have the non waterproof Wolfman bags and have no compaints. I bought 4mil ziplock bags that are the same dimensions as the Wolfman bags and that leaves me with lots of options. For one, nasty dirty clothes go outside the liners.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #483
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
If you want to see the waterproof backpacks they are in Canton CT although I work in Hartford and can bring them there if that is easier. . The packs were exactly the right size, waterproof, very durable and dirt cheap. some one inch web strap from ace hardware is all you need to add. If you have racks already this is the best cheapo option. At least until you have enough experience to know you want to keep doing this
If they're half as good as they look and you say they are, I'm sold.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #484
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
If they're half as good as they look and you say they are, I'm sold.
damn.. I was looking forward to seeing what you came up with for hand made soft panniers Rob!! I'll be sporting the heavy pelican cases for the 2013 RR unless I find a much lighter option before then..

It seems like soft panniers that don't claim to be waterproof are not that complicated to make but the mounting system can be.. I would think mil surplus waterproof backpacks would have the same problem though wouldn't they?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #485
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 694
Lighter, cheaper (<$40 total) and very very waterproof.
Backpacks for cheapo saddle bags

Perfect dimensions and rubbery water proofness http://www.majorsurplus.com/French-F2-Day-Pack-P16337C2148.aspx

Toss the frame in the trash for this one http://www.majorsurplus.com/Swedish-Tubular-Frame-Medical-Pack-P16758C2148.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
damn.. I was looking forward to seeing what you came up with for hand made soft panniers Rob!! I'll be sporting the heavy pelican cases for the 2013 RR unless I find a much lighter option before then..

It seems like soft panniers that don't claim to be waterproof are not that complicated to make but the mounting system can be.. I would think mil surplus waterproof backpacks would have the same problem though wouldn't they?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #486
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,437
Quote:
I'm still pretty new to this "adventure camping" business and there's quite a learning curve. Camping for days on end with minimal supplies is hard enough. Combining that with long distance off road (international) motorcycling certainly presents another whole set of considerations.
This.

One thing I find helpful to get the size of the pile down to a manageable level is compression bags. Prefer these. Compresses my shite down to a smaller pack size and addresses and waterproof issues. I've used these strapped outside of a pannier in driving rains without anything getting wet.

My 2-man tent fits in an XS sized bag. Poles are packed separately. Bed fits in another XS bag. Keeps wet from dry in the pannier. Everything else I try to pack in XS compression bags. Several smaller bags are easier to pack inside whatever luggage you have. I've tried the large and medium sized compression bags. Picture packing a volleyball or basketball in your kit. Sucks.

If you have waterproof panniers (and feel confident they will remain that way) you could get away with the non-waterproof compression bags. Or like Boats said, big Ziplocks. Done that, too. I just like the fact I can get my tent, bedding, clothes, etc down to the size of a ~grapefruit with compression. YMMV.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #487
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,437
There's also an inmate here making and selling these tiny 'stoves'.

Sure. Anyone could prolly make one but with everything else you've got going, will you? Be honest. It's Christmas. Send him the $ and be done with it.

Two versions - one for boiling, the other geared more towards cooking. IOW, lower flame. Pack super small and are light weight.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #488
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,272
Hey it's Adam's birthday today...
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #489
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,416
Spent the day getting this set up the way I want.

Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #490
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,532
I spent the day putting this back together. (not my RR bike)

pictures of the work in progress.

akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #491
Gas_Man
Like a New Man

Oddometer: 120
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post

Is it June yet?
Hey Fran, I like how you were able to get that Tool Tube tucked in there nice & neat. I hope the new bike is treating you well.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #492
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR75 View Post
Hey Fran, I like how you were able to get that Tool Tube tucked in there nice & neat. I hope the new bike is treating you well.

Credit for the tool tube goes to Barman here on ADV. I bought the side racks from him that way. I'm condidering switching that to the outside, and possibly mounting the extra fuel canisters on the inside. We'll see.

My big accomplishment was mounting, and fitting it all up, then Frankenstein'ing the wide tail rack plate to my existing tailrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #493
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post

Is it June yet?
Looks good . I still need to try that seat.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #494
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
Looks good . I still need to try that seat.

the seat is awsome. A whole lot better than the 2x6....

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #495
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Well I am lucky enough to have the dilemma of which bike to ride. My 950 would be more comfy for the ride up to the start of RR, but I think the 690 would be more fun once I am there. Since I am on team LC8 there is also peer pressure .