ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #751
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
First hole, large rut, swamp, hill you need help with - I'll gladly switch bikes for a while if you like :)

Are you bringing hard case luggage? Removable?
You gotta remember I'm a Vermonter I go through these type of things just to get to work….ain't no flat lander! I am bringing hard case luggage (yes removable) how else am I suppose to get across those water crossings! I'm going to float it!

People hype that single track stuff up. " oh your bags are going to hit" if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #752
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob1015 View Post
if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
And if it looks like they're going to get damaged you can stick your ankle under them to keep them from grounding, right?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #753
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And if it looks like they're going to get damaged you can stick your ankle under them to keep them from grounding, right?
I prefer whole leg if not head depending on the situation.
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #754
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ecarnell's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob1015 View Post
You gotta remember I'm a Vermonter I go through these type of things just to get to work….ain't no flat lander! I am bringing hard case luggage (yes removable) how else am I suppose to get across those water crossings! I'm going to float it!

People hype that single track stuff up. " oh your bags are going to hit" if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
No issues with single track - agreed. Just slower.

How many "harder core" miles do you have under your belt on the 1200? What tires are you running?

It's the go overs/arounds that I would be most concerned over:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=385

Do you drink beer? if so, we can have some fun with some bets over the next 143 days....
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2011 KLR
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #755
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,201
A couple of quotes to keep in mind from the Rally info page that I'm sure you all read before you signed up.


"The Roaming Rally is not designed for beginners but rather for intermediate to experienced riders who want a challenge."

"In years past the suggested route has been tame with optional technical sections.For 2013 the route does not have these optional tech sections, they are now part of the main route.This makes the route much more difficult.The route is no longer appropriate for new comers to the sport, two up riding, non knobby tires and people with bikes larger than 990cc may want to reconsider."


"There is no support truck...This year you will have to rely on your team mates…that why every team has a tow rope."

And IMHO hard bags are not a good idea. For obvious reasons.

Is It June Yet?
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14& Canadian Rally Challenge
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #756
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,151
What town will it start in? It's my first RR and I'm working on some other riding plans. Spending a week in CA for the first time.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #757
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
No issues with single track - agreed. Just slower.

How many "harder core" miles do you have under your belt on the 1200? What tires are you running?

It's the go overs/arounds that I would be most concerned over:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=385

Do you drink beer? if so, we can have some fun with some bets over the next 143 days....
I'm not out to set speed records my goal is to get through with out tipping it over!

I put 13.5k miles, last year when I got it. Last year I ran the K60's but the front beat me up for it's tendency to drift to the bottom of every rut…I plan on running tkc 80's front and rear for this ride.

Does a bear sh*t in the woods! of course I drink beer! Go on with your bet!
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #758
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ecarnell's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob1015 View Post
I'm not out to set speed records my goal is to get through with out tipping it over!

Does a bear sh*t in the woods! of course I drink beer! Go on with your bet!
If your riding the 1200:
I will buy you a 6 pack (your choice - max $20) each night at camp for every day you:
1. Don't have a tip over
2. Or require additional support picking up your bike, dragging your bike through the mud/ruts, carrying your luggage over, or someone else riding you bike through/over an obstacle.

Every day you don't complete 1 AND 2 successfully, you buy a 6 pack(my choice) for me, and a beer for EVERY individual who has to help you that day?

:)
Please comment/modify/discuss as required!
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2011 KLR
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #759
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
If your riding the 1200:
I will buy you a 6 pack (your choice - max $20) each night at camp for every day you:
1. Don't have a tip over
2. Or require additional support picking up your bike, dragging your bike through the mud/ruts, carrying your luggage over, or someone else riding you bike through/over an obstacle.

Every day you don't complete 1 AND 2 successfully, you buy a 6 pack(my choice) for me, and a beer for EVERY individual who has to help you that day?

:)
So 18 beers total...


1. Ok
2. Impossible …. as I don't have a badger to watch after.

And I will agree to purchasing your 6 pack if I do not complete one and or two, only if they are not the following beverages…. As in "mikes hard" "wine coolers" "corona" "Bud lime" " low calorie bullshit" you know all the stuff yamaha riders normally drink


Sorry it's a low blow for a low blow ;)

bobbob1015 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:12 PM
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #760
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!
 
FreeTheBeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: +1.603
Oddometer: 2,843
Cool2 Your house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
What town will it start in? It's my first RR and I'm working on some other riding plans. Spending a week in CA for the first time.
I suspect your ride starts at your house. Unless you're going out to California to start your journey to the Roaming Rally. Good on ya!
__________________
Think beyond yourself.

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #761
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
If your riding the 1200:
I will buy you a 6 pack (your choice - max $20) each night at camp for every day you:
1. Don't have a tip over
2. Or require additional support picking up your bike, dragging your bike through the mud/ruts, carrying your luggage over, or someone else riding you bike through/over an obstacle.

Every day you don't complete 1 AND 2 successfully, you buy a 6 pack(my choice) for me, and a beer for EVERY individual who has to help you that day?

:)
Please comment/modify/discuss as required!
Also who is going to ref?! I doubt your going to want to follow me around…
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #762
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 9,561
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 08 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #763
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ecarnell's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob1015 View Post
So 18 beers total...


1. Ok
2. Impossible …. as I don't have a vagina.

And I will agree to purchasing your 6 pack if I do not complete one and or two, only if they are not the following beverages…. As in "mikes hard" "wine coolers" "corona" "Bud lime" " low calorie bullshit" you know all the stuff yamaha riders normally drink


Sorry it's a low blow for a low blow ;)
So the funny thing is I really do like to drink bud light lime at the cottage on the water during the summer.... must be a Yamaha thing (or a girly 250 sort of thing)!

Glad we have some entertainment for some (is it June yet?)!

Ref will be honesty.
I'm assuming there will be lots of discussion at the camp fire on all of our trials and tribulations of the days events.
Hopefully some will also be drinking some of your cold beer!
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2011 KLR
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59

ecarnell screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:09 PM
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #764
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Roaming Rally 2013

The 2013 edition of the Roaming Rally has a few changes but follows the same format as in years past. We “roam”.

This year’s edition of the rally begins at the New York/Ontario border and heads north.
http://graveltravel.ca/index.php?opt...id=1&Itemid=34




....living the dream, you go!







bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #765
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Colchester,VT
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
So the funny thing is I really do like to drink bud light lime at the cottage on the water during the summer.... must be a Yamaha thing (or a girly 250 sort of thing)!

Glad we have some entertainment for some (is it June yet?)!

Ref will be honesty.
I'm assuming there will be lots of discussion at the camp fire on all of our trials and tribulations of the days events.
Hopefully some will also be drinking some of your cold beer!
I knew it! I drink it too but I call it breakfast beer goes well with eggs and bacon in the AM.

Ok I can work with honesty.

Cold beer in the thick of canada?!Be lucky to find it. who's got the ice I have two large coolers (panniers) on my bike!
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014