ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #751
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
First hole, large rut, swamp, hill you need help with - I'll gladly switch bikes for a while if you like :)

Are you bringing hard case luggage? Removable?
You gotta remember I'm a Vermonter I go through these type of things just to get to work….ain't no flat lander! I am bringing hard case luggage (yes removable) how else am I suppose to get across those water crossings! I'm going to float it!

People hype that single track stuff up. " oh your bags are going to hit" if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
bobbob1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #752
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob1015 View Post
if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
And if it looks like they're going to get damaged you can stick your ankle under them to keep them from grounding, right?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #753
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And if it looks like they're going to get damaged you can stick your ankle under them to keep them from grounding, right?
I prefer whole leg if not head depending on the situation.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #754
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
You gotta remember I'm a Vermonter I go through these type of things just to get to work….ain't no flat lander! I am bringing hard case luggage (yes removable) how else am I suppose to get across those water crossings! I'm going to float it!

People hype that single track stuff up. " oh your bags are going to hit" if the handle bars fit the bags surely will and if they don't they will help you round the corner faster.( by bouncing off the tree)
No issues with single track - agreed. Just slower.

How many "harder core" miles do you have under your belt on the 1200? What tires are you running?

It's the go overs/arounds that I would be most concerned over:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=385

Do you drink beer? if so, we can have some fun with some bets over the next 143 days....
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #755
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,201
A couple of quotes to keep in mind from the Rally info page that I'm sure you all read before you signed up.

"The Roaming Rally is not designed for beginners but rather for intermediate to experienced riders who want a challenge."

"In years past the suggested route has been tame with optional technical sections.For 2013 the route does not have these optional tech sections, they are now part of the main route.This makes the route much more difficult.The route is no longer appropriate for new comers to the sport, two up riding, non knobby tires and people with bikes larger than 990cc may want to reconsider."

"There is no support truck...This year you will have to rely on your team mates…that why every team has a tow rope."

And IMHO hard bags are not a good idea. For obvious reasons.

Is It June Yet?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #756
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,151
What town will it start in? It's my first RR and I'm working on some other riding plans. Spending a week in CA for the first time.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #757
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Quote:
No issues with single track - agreed. Just slower.

How many "harder core" miles do you have under your belt on the 1200? What tires are you running?

It's the go overs/arounds that I would be most concerned over:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=385

Do you drink beer? if so, we can have some fun with some bets over the next 143 days....
I'm not out to set speed records my goal is to get through with out tipping it over!

I put 13.5k miles, last year when I got it. Last year I ran the K60's but the front beat me up for it's tendency to drift to the bottom of every rut…I plan on running tkc 80's front and rear for this ride.

Does a bear sh*t in the woods! of course I drink beer! Go on with your bet!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #758
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not out to set speed records my goal is to get through with out tipping it over!

Does a bear sh*t in the woods! of course I drink beer! Go on with your bet!
If your riding the 1200:
I will buy you a 6 pack (your choice - max $20) each night at camp for every day you:
1. Don't have a tip over
2. Or require additional support picking up your bike, dragging your bike through the mud/ruts, carrying your luggage over, or someone else riding you bike through/over an obstacle.

Every day you don't complete 1 AND 2 successfully, you buy a 6 pack(my choice) for me, and a beer for EVERY individual who has to help you that day?

:)
Please comment/modify/discuss as required!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #759
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Quote:
If your riding the 1200:
I will buy you a 6 pack (your choice - max $20) each night at camp for every day you:
1. Don't have a tip over
2. Or require additional support picking up your bike, dragging your bike through the mud/ruts, carrying your luggage over, or someone else riding you bike through/over an obstacle.

Every day you don't complete 1 AND 2 successfully, you buy a 6 pack(my choice) for me, and a beer for EVERY individual who has to help you that day?

So 18 beers total...

1. Ok
2. Impossible …. as I don't have a badger to watch after.

And I will agree to purchasing your 6 pack if I do not complete one and or two, only if they are not the following beverages…. As in "mikes hard" "wine coolers" "corona" "Bud lime" " low calorie bullshit" you know all the stuff yamaha riders normally drink

Sorry it's a low blow for a low blow ;)

bobbob1015 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #760
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,843
Cool2 Your house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
What town will it start in? It's my first RR and I'm working on some other riding plans. Spending a week in CA for the first time.
I suspect your ride starts at your house. Unless you're going out to California to start your journey to the Roaming Rally. Good on ya!

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #761
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Quote:
If your riding the 1200:
1. Don't have a tip over

Please comment/modify/discuss as required!
Also who is going to ref?! I doubt your going to want to follow me around…
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #762
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,561

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #763
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So 18 beers total...

1. Ok
2. Impossible …. as I don't have a vagina.

And I will agree to purchasing your 6 pack if I do not complete one and or two, only if they are not the following beverages…. As in "mikes hard" "wine coolers" "corona" "Bud lime" " low calorie bullshit" you know all the stuff yamaha riders normally drink

Sorry it's a low blow for a low blow ;)
So the funny thing is I really do like to drink bud light lime at the cottage on the water during the summer.... must be a Yamaha thing (or a girly 250 sort of thing)!

Glad we have some entertainment for some (is it June yet?)!

Ref will be honesty.
I'm assuming there will be lots of discussion at the camp fire on all of our trials and tribulations of the days events.
Hopefully some will also be drinking some of your cold beer!

ecarnell screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:09 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #764
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Roaming Rally 2013

The 2013 edition of the Roaming Rally has a few changes but follows the same format as in years past. We “roam”.

This year’s edition of the rally begins at the New York/Ontario border and heads north.
http://graveltravel.ca/index.php?opt...id=1&Itemid=34

....living the dream, you go!

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #765
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Quote:
So the funny thing is I really do like to drink bud light lime at the cottage on the water during the summer.... must be a Yamaha thing (or a girly 250 sort of thing)!

Glad we have some entertainment for some (is it June yet?)!

Ref will be honesty.
I'm assuming there will be lots of discussion at the camp fire on all of our trials and tribulations of the days events.
Hopefully some will also be drinking some of your cold beer!
I knew it! I drink it too but I call it breakfast beer goes well with eggs and bacon in the AM.

Ok I can work with honesty.

Cold beer in the thick of canada?!Be lucky to find it. who's got the ice I have two large coolers (panniers) on my bike!