Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #706
dahnovka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Y'all let me know who else from here was competing (bike, and number). If I've got pictures I'll post them and y'all are welcome to use them.
142 Husaberg

thank you
dahnovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #707
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
What an awesome event

This was my first ever rally and I am hooked. My F800GS performed flawlessly...very happy with the Ohlin's suspension. Three miles into stage 6, my right foot cought a rut and twisted my angle out. I saved the bike but sacraficed my foot. I decided to check into a hospital in VA on 95N on the way back to NJ after driving around 450 miles and walked with a fucking cast...broken angle. The broken clear thought....the Doctor could not beleive I was walking around for 24 hours with zero ankle support...I got lucky that the everything inside the ankle did not tear apart loading the bike and walking around. Oh well...some screws and a plate, and I will be back on the bike in 4 weeks.

Holly shit....plowing through those deep sand ruts or whatever they're called was a huge rush. My bike was all over the place because I suck at riding, but all I had to do was keep twisting the right hand hand and find another gear up and the bike would just stay on two wheels and plow through....it was my first ever ride in this type of a race where for 9 to 15 minutes it's balls out WFO start tp finish.

Regardless, I had a blast. Everyone is very nice....and anyone reading these post and may be a little hesistant to try something new, TRUST me you will meet great people, make great friend, and have a blast doing a rallymoto.

To everyone that was very helpfull to a rookie....Jason, Jenna, Logan, Rodney, Jack, and many more.....thank you very much.

To all the of Sandblasts staff and volunteers....A HUGE thank you.

Ara
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #708
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
#141....530 ktm

great to put names with faces. great race and a the course conditions were lots of fun this year. had a hell of a good time! forearms are still burnin
look forward to seeing some of you mountain folk around the Wedge soon

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #709
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Y'all let me know who else from here was competing (bike, and number). If I've got pictures I'll post them and y'all are welcome to use them.

#146 orange F800GS. There were two orange F8, and mine is the one with the high front fender.

Thanks
Ara
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #710
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Eek wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I decided to check into a hospital in VA on 95N on the way back to NJ after driving around 450 miles and walked with a fucking cast...broken angle. The broken clear thought....the Doctor could not beleive I was walking around for 24 hours with zero ankle support...I got lucky that the everything inside the ankle did not tear apart loading the bike and walking around. Oh well...some screws and a plate, and I will be back on the bike in 4 weeks.

Ara
Bloody Hell, man! Has no one told you that this is a dangerous sport? Glad to hear that you will be alright.

I dabbed my foot once or twice during the rally. Luckily I didn't have the outcome you did. Ouch! Good work with the F8.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #711
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Bloody Hell, man! Has no one told you that this is a dangerous sport? Glad to hear that you will be alright.

I dabbed my foot once or twice during the rally. Luckily I didn't have the outcome you did. Ouch! Good work with the F8.
Thank you buddy. This no big deal....a few screws and plate and I will be tearing up the trails in a few weeks.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #712
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
I'd like to say thanks to David Sammel this morning. He rode Sandblast in 2011 and 2012, and raced Rally West Virginia last year too. This time he volunteered instead of racing. Most of you probably met him at registration, he checked in a lot of racers.

An interesting "look behind the curtains" for him, and a shining example for all riders: the sport needs racers to care about it enough that they don't only show up to race, when they can't race they volunteer.

So my hat is off to you Mr Sammel, excellent work this weekend!

Anders
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #713
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Thank you buddy. This no big deal....a few screws and plate and I will be tearing up the trails in a few weeks.

Damn Ara, I'm sorry to hear that about your ankle. That 800 was a heavy son of a bitch to pick up too, so you get my respect for even trying it on that bike. I was behind you a few times and you handled it well Get better man!
John ( 136, broken license plate, missing airbox cover, klx450 )
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #714
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
I'd like to say thanks to David Sammel this morning. He rode Sandblast in 2011 and 2012, and raced Rally West Virginia last year too. This time he volunteered instead of racing. Most of you probably met him at registration, he checked in a lot of racers.

An interesting "look behind the curtains" for him, and a shining example for all riders: the sport needs racers to care about it enough that they don't only show up to race, when they can't race they volunteer.

Anders
Agreed, that was great sportsmanship Awesome pics, as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #715
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Thumb indeed.

Quote:
I'd like to say thanks to David Sammel this morning.

Anders
Thank you, Dave.

And thanks for the exhaust on my bike! :~)))

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #716
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Damn Ara, I'm sorry to hear that about your ankle. That 800 was a heavy son of a bitch to pick up too, so you get my respect for even trying it on that bike. I was behind you a few times and you handled it well Get better man!
John ( 136, broken license plate, missing airbox cover, klx450 )
Thank you for your help John. Sorry to make you stop and help me...the bar was buried in the sand and I couldn't pick it up...my ankle was already toast at that point but I didn't give a shit. I was having way too much fun to stop...but finially had to call it quits at mile 3 of stage 6.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #717
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652
For photomd - I was #125, orange KTM. Thanks!

Big thanks to Anders, Amy, et al for running a great rally, and David for all the volunteer work, photos, etc.. It ran incredibly smoothly, especially so given the large numbers of entrants, 30 second intervals, a couple of issues, one force majeure/medical stage cancellation, etc. Despite these things, the rally ran crisply and we finished in daylight. Well done!

Great to see everyone again - hope to make WV and Black River this year (I say that every year..but this is THE year!).

Had a great time racing/riding/hanging out with the BMW crew again this year - Andrew, TJ, Adam, Jason, and Jenna. A special shout-out to TJ who had a terrific rally. He and I ran similar times last year, but he absolutely smoked me this year, and finished very, very well indeed. A major step up for him. Well done!

Also met a fellow Canuckian from Ontario who made the solo drive down - Ryan Scholz - not sure if he's on ADV or not. He was on a 690 and also had a great rally. Nice riding, Ryan!

As always it was a *lot* of fun reconnecting with old rally friends - Bobby W., Aaron G., Jack O' Connor, Braden, Jim and Sarah Roth, Luis, Bill, Mike Gilkey, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention. Lots of new faces this year which was terrific and hopefully we will see lots of the new people continue to fill out the entry list in the future.

As a personal goal, I was aiming to try and crack the top ten, which was likely farfetched, but that's the point of setting a goal, eh? Having not been on the bike in eight months, I ran ok except for a bonehead fuel mismanagement error on Stage 5, which cost me 3 minutes on stage getting the bike restarted. Gah!

If not for the error, I might have been close...still likely outside the top ten, but even including the error, I improved my overall time from last year, so that was a positive.

Most importantly, I had a great time and it was a personal challenge to get back out there and race in those soft, sandy conditions that for me, remain pretty uncomfortable and unfamiliar.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #718
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
I'd like to say thanks to David Sammel this morning.

Anders
+1
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #719
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Bike# 104, clapped out KTM 450 with oil stains all over...safety yellow helmet..

Thanks for going out and getting pics so we can explain this whole thing to our riding buddies when we get home and then get them to come to the next one!

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 09:49 AM
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #720
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,347