ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #796
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,684
I think this was the most/best photographed rally yet, tons of great photos to browse through! Thanks to all who captured what they did.
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #797
seasider
Just a rider
 
seasider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 346
[QUOTE=jack splash;20886578]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker43 View Post
My thoughts...Jack, bring the big bikes down if you wish to compare, I'll gladly go there but until then quit taking money from people to ride big bikes in sand, that is purely hippicritical! Sorry, that pisses me off.
QUOTE]

Mike: Sorry you feel that way. You mentioned my bike choice 2 or 3 times to me at the event too, get over it.

I've done more to promote Big Bike Riding over the last 12 years than anyone on the East Coast. FYI, my Hip issues prevent me from racing a BB these days. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to ride at all.
Agreed Jack. Simple thanks to you.

Good Luck in Mexico.

Jack
I for one don't care what you ride and thank you for what you have done in the Northeast for big bike events. You are well appreciated.
__________________
Lost time is never found
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #798
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,057
Found a good one:


__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #799
Recon_Buck
Candy-Assed Rider
 
Recon_Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Norfolk, VA
Oddometer: 170
Big Bikes are the ultimate challenge!

[QUOTE=seasider;20892293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post

I for one don't care what you ride and thank you for what you have done in the Northeast for big bike events. You are well appreciated.

Well said Dave!

Jack, I'll never forget the Monduro Rally that you organized for us. It was a very challenging ride, and I couldn't have finished it without the assistance and advise of many others. But I did finish it, and I was mega-pleased with my ability to ride my R12 GS ADV through the deep sand and skinny tracks.

DSC00333 by louisianazouaves, on Flickr

Plus, there's something very nastalgic about loading all your gear on the bike, riding to the event, setting up camp, riding the "Monduro" or whatever Rally, and then loading all your gear back onto your bike, and heading for home.

Yes, I ride my baby enduro in the Sandblast, and I have a grand time. But Jack, please keep advancing the Big Bike agenda. And I hope to see you in the Pine Barrens as well as at the Sandblast Rally again!

Semper Fidelis, Buck
__________________
Mine: '10 R1200 GS ADV (30th Anniversary), '08 WR250R, & '72 R75/5 ToasterTank with sidecar
Hers: '09 F800 ST

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 09:53 AM
Recon_Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #800
jack splash
Two Sheds
 
jack splash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pt Pleasant, NJ USA
Oddometer: 2,222
Thanks and Thanks!

Hey: Thanks for the props guys. But I forgot to thank Dave Jansen and a couple of other guys, Wendell Purdue, the Mayor of Patrick, and Drew from ADVRider. But first the story.

After the Rally was over, and all the bikes had arrived at Oslo's to check in, there was a little confusion as to where we were supposed to be and we were all standing around wondering what to do. Some riders went in a got a beer,,others hung out and BS'ed about the race outside. At this point the cars were still on stage. Myself and a couple of other riders who came solo to the event had to get back to the Service Area in Patrick and get our support vehicles. It was getting dark and cold and we didn't feel like riding our bikes back down Rt 1 the appx 15 miles to service. I'm talking with Peter and Dmytro and they offer to drive me and Dan F to service, we say "great", Dmytro says his car is close by and he'll be right back with it.


20 Minutes later he arrives , I get in, and who shows up but Anders, and gives us a "Father knows best" lecture about sticking around to "celebrate" the car guys when they show up, and how "proud" it would make him if we stuck around. I'm cold, tired, and hungry, and now shamed into "celebrating" . F@#%$% F$^&&* F*&^%K.
I stick around another 15 minutes an hop on by bike and ride to service, it's dark, raining a little, and about 1 mile from service, I run out of gas.

F%^$K. F&^%ing Karma !


I'm sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes and a Motorcycle pulls up beside me, I mention I'm out of gas and there's a can a mile away. The rider Drew" I think, offers to go get it, he's on a Yamaha Super Tennere and we discuss how he'll carry the gas can back. The plan is iffy at best, but what the hell. I thank him for his help and Drew leaves for the gas.


About a minute later, David Jansen driving his van, and his wife? see me and turn around and pull up to me. It's good to see him OK, because the last time I saw him, he was crashed on stage. I mention I'm out of gas, and before I can say help is on the way he offers me some of his.

Here's where my dilemma starts, do I say no thanks, gas is on it's way, or accept his offer. Remembering the old addage, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I fill half my tank with gas, say thanks, and Dave's on his way. A minute later, Drew shows up with a Pickup truck following him, driving is "Wendell Purdue" the mayor of Patrick, with the gas can in the back of his truck. I fill the other half of my tank, and he follows me to the service just in case i need additional help.

I didn't want make Drew feel like he helped for nothing, but I wasn't sure he'd be able to strap a 5 gallon gas can safely to the back of his bike, so I got help twice, Thats Rally!

What a bunch of great people involved in this sport.


Thanks
Jack
__________________
Stay dirty my friends!
Bigfoot has a picture of me!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 10:26 AM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #801
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport
 
Anders Green's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 1,990
"So, do the local people like you to show up and race around down there?"
"Well, the mayor made an after-dark gas run for me, so, yeah, I think they like us."


Alternatively:
"Oh, you ran out of gas? Let me call the mayor."
"Real funny, jerk."
"No, really, the mayor is on his way with gas."
""



Anders
__________________
[NORRA Mexican 1000 Scoring Chief] [Organizer of Sandblast Rally / Black River Stages / NASA Rally Sport RallyMoto]
Anders Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #802
mothra
Rally Driver
 
mothra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Southport, NC
Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post
Hey: Thanks for the props guys. But I forgot to thank Dave Jansen and a couple of other guys, Wendell Purdue, the Mayor of Patrick, and Drew from ADVRider. But first the story.

After the Rally was over, and all the bikes had arrived at Oslo's to check in, there was a little confusion as to where we were supposed to be and we were all standing around wondering what to do. Some riders went in a got a beer,,others hung out and BS'ed about the race outside. At this point the cars were still on stage. Myself and a couple of other riders who came solo to the event had to get back to the Service Area in Patrick and get our support vehicles. It was getting dark and cold and we didn't feel like riding our bikes back down Rt 1 the appx 15 miles to service. I'm talking with Peter and Dmytro and they offer to drive me and Dan F to service, we say "great", Dmytro says his car is close by and he'll be right back with it.


20 Minutes later he arrives , I get in, and who shows up but Anders, and gives us a "Father knows best" lecture about sticking around to "celebrate" the car guys when they show up, and how "proud" it would make him if we stuck around. I'm cold, tired, and hungry, and now shamed into "celebrating" . F@#%$% F$^&&* F*&^%K.
I stick around another 15 minutes an hop on by bike and ride to service, it's dark, raining a little, and about 1 mile from service, I run out of gas.

F%^$K. F&^%ing Karma !


I'm sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes and a Motorcycle pulls up beside me, I mention I'm out of gas and there's a can a mile away. The rider Drew" I think, offers to go get it, he's on a Yamaha Super Tennere and we discuss how he'll carry the gas can back. The plan is iffy at best, but what the hell. I thank him for his help and Drew leaves for the gas.


About a minute later, David Jansen driving his van, and his wife? see me and turn around and pull up to me. It's good to see him OK, because the last time I saw him, he was crashed on stage. I mention I'm out of gas, and before I can say help is on the way he offers me some of his.

Here's where my dilemma starts, do I say no thanks, gas is on it's way, or accept his offer. Remembering the old addage, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I fill half my tank with gas, say thanks, and Dave's on his way. A minute later, Drew shows up with a Pickup truck following him, driving is "Wendell Purdue" the mayor of Patrick, with the gas can in the back of his truck. I fill the other half of my tank, and he follows me to the service just in case i need additional help.

I didn't want make Drew feel like he helped for nothing, but I wasn't sure he'd be able to strap a 5 gallon gas can safely to the back of his bike, so I got help twice, Thats Rally!

What a bunch of great people involved in this sport.


Thanks
Jack
Jack that was Dan. "Icecold dan" on ADV and one of the Cape Fear area riders and a volunteer HAM at Sandblast. He had a great time telling the story of helping you at the after party.
__________________
Matt Smith


'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #803
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11
 
GREWUPIN_D11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Y'all let me know who else from here was competing (bike, and number). If I've got pictures I'll post them and y'all are welcome to use them.
#155 F800GS. Many thanks!
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #804
fig650
Adventurer
 
fig650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Newark N.J.
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Y'all let me know who else from here was competing (bike, and number). If I've got pictures I'll post them and y'all are welcome to use them.
Bike#143 husaberg fe650

Thanks in advance
fig650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #805
photomd
Studly Adventurer
 
photomd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: The Land of Cotton (SC)
Oddometer: 677
Here's some more. \








I should add that y'all are welcome to use these for personal use: avatars, right click and download a copy, etc. If you want to publish these, please contact me and we can work something out. I apologize to those I didn't photograph. Thanks again for coming down. We enjoyed watching y'all.
__________________
1979 V-1000SP
1988 R100RS
1996 R1100RSL
1998 CR250
photomd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #806
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport
 
Anders Green's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 1,990
From http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/press-release?ID=525

Quote:
Mike Gilkey Wins RallyMoto At Sandblast Rally

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cheraw, SC (March 10, 2013)

After an absence of four years, and against the largest RallyMoto field in recent history, Mike Gilkey stormed to an early lead at the Sandblast Rally and didn't look back. Checking conditions on the first stage, he finished just five seconds ahead of eventual second place overall Bobby Wooldridge, managing to average less than one mile an hour faster than Wooldridge. On stage two Gilkey cracked the throttle wide open and put another forty seven seconds on the table between himself and Wooldridge, solidifying the lead he would carry all the way to the end of the rally. Stages five and six saw Wooldridge pick up the pace and get back to within a few seconds of GIlkey's times on those stages, but it wasn't enough to change the final outcome and Gikley went home with the top honors.

The race for third wasn't without drama. David Jansen grabbed the last podium spot on stage one, but went down on stage two, twisting a knee and taking him out of the race. Scott Dorrer, fourth on stage one, should have inherited third, but had a bobble on stage two and then major trouble on stage four, removing him from podium contention. That left former Dakar racer Bill Conger, playing the long game, to sweep up with his consistency. He posted the third fastest times on four out of seven stages, and knowing that an occasional flash of speed over the day from his competitors wouldn't eclipse his overall pace, Conger's cool head brought home the final overall podium spot.

The Moto Heavy class had Gilkey and Conger, so the top two spots were sewn up. The third place battle began with Jason Adams taking an early lead, with Jenna Novic right behind. Stage two turned out to be a big shake up, with Novic going down and Peter Alexeev, "everybody's favorite Russian", blasting ahead of the rest of the field. These three stayed in lockstep for the rest of the stages.

Moto Medium had last year's season champion, Kurt Weigand, sporting the winning 101 number plate, take top honors while managing a fourth overall. JJ McCarthy was a solid second, but the battle of the day was Ken Anderson. Anderson began the day in sixth, but continued to claw his way back up, finally managing to cross into third by the penultimate stag and open up that lead a little bit more on the final stage against rider Aaron Gibson. Gibson, last year's winner, has been struggling against his ECU for the better part of a year. An entirely new system has removed the electrical gremlins from the bike, but more dyno time is still needed "I was way down on power. It just wouldn't light up on the top end, I couldn't get over 80." said Gibson.

The Moto Dakar class, limited to 450 cc's, was dominated by Wooldridge. Braden Childers managed a very smooth run to second place, and while there was some contention during the first three stages for third, by stage four TJ Jarret had eeked out a lead that he grew the remainder of the day.

The growing Moto Light class, for small bikes under 250 cc, was led by Sarah Roth. Kevin Schuler was neck and neck for the first two stages, but didn't make it past stage 2. Logan DesAutels showed early promise for a podium but trouble on stage five dash his hope, leaving Ignatius Liberto and Gage Gregory to carry the rest of the trophy hardware home.

NASA Rally Sport, the grassroots rally sanctioning body in the US, focuses on competitor fun and providing support for rally organizers. Providing tools, technology, and systems to the organizers, racers, and fans to increase their enjoyment of rally is a core mission of NASA Rally Sport. Making sure that rally remains a sustainable and affordable passion for the drivers and organizers while building the family of racers and volunteers that make rally happen goes hand in hand with that mission.
###

FOR EDITORS:
Media Contact: Anders Green anders@nasarallysport.com

The event was part of the Atlantic RallyMoto Cup.
More information is available on: http://nasarallysport.com

Photo of Michael Gilkey, Photo credit: Stonepier Photography
http://goo.gl/bW1gT

Atlantic Rally Cup logo:
http://www.nasarallysport.com/graphi...go-400x200.png

NASA Rally Sport logo:
http://www.nasarallysport.com/graphi...Square-500.png
__________________
[NORRA Mexican 1000 Scoring Chief] [Organizer of Sandblast Rally / Black River Stages / NASA Rally Sport RallyMoto]
Anders Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #807
Xmoto
Death Race
 
Xmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Schodack,NY
Oddometer: 2,107
I never got a chance to get my daughter and myself event t-shirts. Does anyone know how I can get them now (the ones with the bike on them).
__________________
Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one and there's is the only one that doesn't stink.
Xmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #808
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 9,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I never got a chance to get my daughter and myself event t-shirts. Does anyone know how I can get them now (the ones with the bike on them).
I'd like to get one also,,,, I was told on Friday when I picked up my numbers they were only for volunteers.. Then I figured in the past all the shirts and stuff were available at the after party. They werent this year.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #809
stinkweed
Adventurer
 
stinkweed's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: wnc
Oddometer: 53
ShakeDown Photos

I know this is a little late to the after party, but i put up some images over at

http://s805.beta.photobucket.com/use.../SandBlast2013

2011 video is still up there as well, got car some stuff as well, if interested
stinkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #810
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
This was my first ever rally and I am hooked. My F800GS performed flawlessly...very happy with the Ohlin's suspension. Three miles into stage 6, my right foot cought a rut and twisted my angle out. I saved the bike but sacraficed my foot. I decided to check into a hospital in VA on 95N on the way back to NJ after driving around 450 miles and walked with a fucking cast...broken angle. The broken clear thought....the Doctor could not beleive I was walking around for 24 hours with zero ankle support...I got lucky that the everything inside the ankle did not tear apart loading the bike and walking around. Oh well...some screws and a plate, and I will be back on the bike in 4 weeks.

Holly shit....plowing through those deep sand ruts or whatever they're called was a huge rush. My bike was all over the place because I suck at riding, but all I had to do was keep twisting the right hand hand and find another gear up and the bike would just stay on two wheels and plow through....it was my first ever ride in this type of a race where for 9 to 15 minutes it's balls out WFO start tp finish.

Regardless, I had a blast. Everyone is very nice....and anyone reading these post and may be a little hesistant to try something new, TRUST me you will meet great people, make great friend, and have a blast doing a rallymoto.

To everyone that was very helpfull to a rookie....Jason, Jenna, Logan, Rodney, Jack, and many more.....thank you very much.

To all the of Sandblasts staff and volunteers....A HUGE thank you.

Ara
Hey Ara - it's Rodney (KTM530 #154) - glad to hear you made it home well and i can't believe you had a broken ankle Between that and how you were hustling that bike through the sand you qualify as moto-animal in my book.

Jena - it was nice to meet you and glad you are doing well too

It was great meeting so many others from here and elsewhere - too bad I can't remember many names - between being focused on my first rally and totally confused by my time card my brain didn't seem to retain much

Does any one know if Logan (#150 honda 250x) is on ADV? We chased each other most stages with some bar to bar racing thrown in that was an absolute blast and has me looking at the SETRA/SORCS enduro schedule I also really appreciate him making sure me and a bunch of others didn't get lost on the transit!!

What a great weekend, race, and riders - couldn't have been a better way to start the riding season!

Rodney
__________________
__________________________________________
Hey, is my collar bone supposed to look like that?
Hypermofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014