User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
ABHooligan OP
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,113
Another How Do I,,,,,,, thread

I installed a Buell XB headlight (two small lights in one housing-one low, one high beam). Later I converted them to HID and love the light output. However, when switching from lo to high beam (or vice-versa) there is a delay of several seconds while the bulb lights up, so I'm plunged into the dark for a bit there. I know there has to be a way to wire them together, so that when the hi beam is on, the lo stays on also. But it needs a 'valve' or switch of some kind to prevent the hi lighting when just the lo is on. Am I making sense here?

Do I need a diode installed in there somewhere? The HID's are 35W. The bike is, ahem, a KLR. If I need a diode, what size? I am capable of cutting, soldering, and heat-shrinking, but I'm not an electrical engineer-type guy. I would like to keep things as simple as possible, to reduce the risk of failure on the road. Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,552
Rewire the Low beam so that it is not turned off by the headlight switch when switching to High beam. Then use the switch as an on/off for the high beam.

Another fix would be to leave the Low beam wiring as-is. Then add a dedicated switch for the High beam and run it through a small relay.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,495
You can use a diode as well. I'm not smart enough to explain how but thats what an electrical engineer told me when I asked the same question.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
some variation on this relay and diode circuit might work http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506789
very clever and uses a standard relay and common diodes you can get at RadioShack, etc
Old VW's used a headlight relay that latched mechanically, that might work too
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Too late but, you'd have been served well with a Bi-xenon conversion...if it would fit. One bulb does both high and low so the only delay is on bike startup. A solenoid shields and unshields the high beam part of the reflector from the arc.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote