ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
p51bombay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Super Tenere Aftermarket Seats

I'm after a different seat and being unable to try one before I buy I'm hoping someone can point me towards the right one. While the stock one isn't horrble, its not great either plus the forward slop isn't that great and I have tried messing with the bumpers but the fit suffers when you do that and it still doesn't seem to fix the issue.
Short of getting a custom fitted one what are the options for the following: I went to the bike show in January and narrowed the bike search to the S10, XC1200, GS or GSA. Obviously I picked the S10 but of those bikes, the 14 GSA had the seat I am after.........wide, supportive and yet, a soft plush feel to it. So for anyone familiar with any of the above, which seat will best fit the bill........Seat Concepts, Saddleman, Corbin, etc? I actually like how the Corbin looks and that a backrest can be added but have they become less hard? Every Corbin I've ever sat on felt rock hard - not what I'm after.
p51bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
I tried a new Sargent and had to return it; it was worse than the stocker. I scored a used Corbin and have been happy with it. The Corbin is firm but I like it. I'd suggest you score one used since you can always get your money back reselling it. You really won't know for sure until you put a few hundred miles on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 930
Does Seat Concepts make one for the Super Ten?

I love their seats, and reccommend the people highly.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,594
Yes SeatConcepts makes a Super Tenere seat - which I am quite tempted by. However I have been reading really good reports about Lamm Custom Seats, his price seems very reasonable for a custom seat.
For now however, I am supplementing the stock seat with a sheep skin, which as helped me get through a 570 day fairly comfortably.

Here is another fellow ADVRider's Lamm seat...
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
p51bombay OP
Adventurer

Do these places that offer "custom seats" offer an off the shelf version for those that can't ride in?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
NickBrewer3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Seth Laam at www.laamseats.com will customize your seats for you, just arrange it with him and send your seat(s) in to his shop, he does his magic and sends it right back tom you. Great work, great service and fast turn around...
NickBrewer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,873
Just keep in mind, that if you want the seat to be comfortable for long hours in the saddle, it's better to be quite firm. I thought the firm seats felt too hard at first, but after an hour you'll be glad. Often the softer seats compress too much after you've been sitting on them for a while and then you'll be squirming. My RDL is quite firm, but I can ride 17 hours with stops only for gas and snacks and not think twice about my butt. Even my Sargent seat was very firm and it, too allowed me to ride about 700 miles without discomfort.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,409
I've been happy with my Sargent Cycle seat for over 23k mile on the s10. Sargents are on several of my bike and that all work well for me.

Talking seats is right up there with oil and windscreen threads...
Paul
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I'm picking up an S10 next month and will be upgrading the seats. Primarily for my better half. I've spent some time on the stock seat and its fine though with my 36" inseam I wouldn't mind a bit more height. Anyways, over the years I've owned many custom seats and the last few years finally figured out what my butt likes and have gone so far as building my own with good results.

Corbin does have pretty hard foam but as others mentioned it does break in some. That said some simply can't do that hard a foam. Let Corbin know and they do offer a softer foam upon request.

Sargent...I've had a 1/2 doz of their seats and I consider them above average in fit for me. I have had them custom one or two seats with good results.

Seat Concepts...I've only owned two but found them pretty darn good. They were easy to work with and did a couple custom options for very little additional charge.

On my C14 I had a local guy do one up after seeing a couple seats that he's done for others I know. I was amazed how right he got it for me. I'd rate his right up there with a Russell Day Long for comfort (one of the best but ugliest) without the ugly. I'm seriously thinking about having him do my S10.

www.kontourseat.com
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 891
I'm a big fan of the Saddlemen Adventure TRACK seat. Super comfortable over long, multi-day rides.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
p51bombay OP
Adventurer

Well, I decided to get the Seat Concepts front and back, given my weight (175 w/o gear) they felt I could go a little more on the plush side being as i also don't do any hard core distance days - usually just day rides with breaks here and there. Apparently they modify this by tweaking the ratio of A to B foam when molding the seats so worst case scenario is I did a different foam or worst, worst case I buy a new stock seat ($135) and get a custom one made up.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I put a Corbin (with heat) on my S10 last year. I've found that it gets more comfortable the longer the ride is.

I never had a problem with the stock seat for daily commuting, but was miserable after about 2 hours. The opposite is true for the Corbin. I find it a bit hard and difficult to get comfortable on until I've been riding for an hour or so.

Then it's just great.

Weird.