Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Rode my first Harley..

..and liked it!
2012 Fat Boy Special.
I suppose i had the same pre-conceptions about TMC as most guys brought up on sports and sports touring tackle. So i felt the only way to evaluate was through a test ride.
Took a few miles to reset my head, but when it started to work it's magic on me, then i found myself smiling at what it had to offer.
Great engine / tranny. Solid shifting. Shitload of grunt. Comfy when you get used to the riding position.
Would i own one? Oh yes.
Will i be buying one? Not sure..
Part of me can see the appeal - but the part of me that still want's to rip along at a high rate of knots would find the bike hard going.
Still, cracking bike and one i'd be proud to own.
http://s1245.beta.photobucket.com/us...1bf9a.jpg.html
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
I had two Harleys. Wouldn't get another one due to financial reasons, but they were the most high quality and maintenance free bikes of all the ones I've ever owned.

They are the best at what they do for the market they are intended for, hands down.
Unfortunately, the dopey pirate culture affects the image of the bike for most people.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,098
I rode a few of them and would never own one. Small range, high maintenance, high insurance, poor brakes, poor performance for a high cc bike.

As far as grunt..... it's like comparing it to your 400lb buddy lifting a wheelbarrow. It'll make lots of noise but it's not getting much work done.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
keffus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
did the same thing in 03. came across a screaming deal on a sportster, bought it with the idea of making a few dollars. about my third ride, i started to get it. its a "stop and smell the roses" kind of thing. each part on a harley is functional, beautifuly made, and not trying to pretend to be something its not. maybe i'm getting old, but the 'transformers' look just doesn't do it for me. i like honest, genuine motorcycles. i like the fact that i can look at a '49 hydra glide, and a 09 dyna, and see that those 2 bikes are related. i loved the 2 that i owned, very durable bikes.
keffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
Keffus...

....you just described why I love my 1997 Ducati Monster.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
They are what they are. And always have been. Love Sportsters, don't care for the cows.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
They are what they are. And always have been. Love Sportsters, don't care for the cows.
"They are what they are. And always have been." agree although I prefer the "cows" rather than the girls bike
Seriously the sportsters are too small for me but fun for shorter rides.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12
Small range, high maintenance, high insurance, poor brakes, poor performance for a high cc bike.
Wrong, wrong, correct, wrong (good for the class, fine overall), irrelevant (you don't buy a cruiser for 0-60 times).
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I rode a few of them and would never own one. Small range, high maintenance, high insurance, poor brakes, poor performance for a high cc bike.

As far as grunt..... it's like comparing it to your 400lb buddy lifting a wheelbarrow. It'll make lots of noise but it's not getting much work done.
How do you figure? Range on my road king is a bit over 200miles. Maintaince is very low, just change oil and ride it. Look at the belt every now and again, but I've never had to adjust it between tire changes. Insurance is cheaper than some bikes, higher than others. Brakes take some effort at the lever but they work well. Performance, well, its not a race bike by any means.

I like my road king, and am liking my new-to-me 883 sportster more and more.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
How do you figure? Range on my road king is a bit over 200miles. Maintaince is very low, just change oil and ride it. Look at the belt every now and again, but I've never had to adjust it between tire changes. Insurance is cheaper than some bikes, higher than others. Brakes take some effort at the lever but they work well. Performance, well, its not a race bike by any means.

I like my road king, and am liking my new-to-me 883 sportster more and more.

I have had many 1000km days on my Softail Springer. With a windshield and some soft luggage I can easily stay on the road for a week or so, no problem. I live on Vancouver Island and we have nothing but twisty, bumpy roads (paved). I usualy ride every day - when I am home. I find that Harleys are in fact do it all motorcycles. I have had sport bikes, dual sports and touring bikes and after 4 years and 60,000 kms (with a year and a half off in that time for the healing of a badly broken leg) I do not feel like replacing my Harley. ( I do go for the occasional rip on my Buell)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
redduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
High maintenance?

Of all the bikes I own and have owned, my FLHT has needed the least maintenance and at 73000km I would get on it and ride it anywhere. Hydraulic valves, belt drive ; the thing just goes
redduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
I'm thinking about a HD(Road Glide). Never had one-the wife and I rented a Ultra back in 2005. Didn't have a lot of power and when we rode a Goldwing, the boss told me that was the bike to get.

Times change and I ride alone. I've got a Super Tenere and a DR650(might be selling this one soon). The dual sport thing is covered and I'd really like to get a road bike with a seating position like the Road Glide(lots of bikes do this but the HD just kind of calls to me). I like reliable bikes. I'd rather ride than polish/work on them. When I do work on them, I don't want to have to take a bunch of plastic off to do what needs done(GoldWing sucks for this-2005). Simple is better(for me).

There is one article about HD that kind of makes me gun shy-

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

Maybe some of what he says is true but all bikes need repair from time to time. I don't know and I'm still scratching my head on this one. If I had a trouble free bike for 50,000 plus thousand miles, I'd expect to have to do some work on it but the above article mentions some major repairs.

I'm not trying to stir up a shit storm here. I've seen the YouTube videos on HD vs Victory. The guy there is a Victory dealer mechanic and of course he's going to say Vic is better built. He does share some of the same ideas/problems the first article above mentions.

Whats nice about forums like this is the chance to bounce ideas around with other folks who like to ride. I've read a bunch of inmates on here that have thousands of miles on their HD-no problems. Some others are not so lucky.

I continue to read/research. If I do go the HD route, look for the guy with the full face helmet and Teiz Power Shell suit.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I had much the same experience as the OP. I was beginning to have back spasms real bad, still do, and the sport bike just wasn't as much fun anymore....so, (teehee), it was time to look for a new bike. I rode everything I could get my hands on. Ducatis, BMWs, Triumphs, etc. Even rode a few Harleys. None of them spoke to me. All left me a bit flat. The Ducatis were great, but where do I put all the crap I seem to need to carry with me. The BMW boxers had no appeal...very bland. The Triumphs were fun, but just not what I wanted. Just couldn't settle.

Then I rode the Road King. Actually, I rode 3 of them. What a wake-up call. Gobs of torque. Comfy. Big enough gas tank. AND room to haul stuff. Few days later bought my '04. Since then it has been like my Toyota Tacoma, a vehicle that stopped my wander lust from vehicle to vehicle. I see the Tacoma as being my last truck...unless it blows up I'll pass it along to my grandkids. The RK is beginning to have the same affect. Everytime I go to get on it I find myself shaking my head....always thought I'd be on a sport bike. That is until I begin to ride...man-o-man what a ride. I don't have to be doubling the speed limit to have fun and I am comfortable. She really puts down the miles. And the big 'ole girl will really dance if you ask nicely, my boards are very sharp.

Only thing I don't like: hate the Dunlops. I will be replacing them as soon as they wear enough. I think that with the proper tires, and maybe the frame stiffener she'l be even better. I am excited about the future with this bike.

I really like the fact that the aftermarket is so huge. I could turn her into anything I chose. I really like the fact that she will never be an orphan (you know a model or year that is so old that no one supports it anymore). I am amazed everyday how much more a part of me it is becoming. At nearly 5k, since late May, I am putting miles on faster, enjoying myself more, and am a lot more comfortable.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
One thing i have found is that the cruiser riding position gives a different set of muscles a work out. I still reckon i'll be opting for something like the new FJR come spring. That looks like it'll do the miles at speed with the minimum of problems, both ergonomically and mechanically.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
keffus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....you just described why I love my 1997 Ducati Monster.
same goes for the ducs. bought a 96 model 900 ss cr in august. much of the same character, you FEEL the bike underneath you, even at stop lights. lots of mechanical goodness going on. much the same as a harley, but with the added symphony of clutch chatter!
keffus is offline   Reply With Quote