Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,233
MOG's cool shed and small outbuilding addiction thread

Yeah, I wasn't overly original in the thread title.
I've enjoyed the tiny home, cabin, and motorhome threads. God knows the internet has enough garage, playhouse and treefort threads. Let's go for something a little different. Not any of the above or guest houses, just sheds and small outbuildings that didn't come from Home Depot or Sears. Built by yourself or Grandpa always a plus.
I've built a few over the last 25 years and will start with the oldest.
I built this as a playhouse (yeah, I know what I just said about playhouses but stick with me.) for our kids about 23 years ago. My wife's grandfather planted the trees and her father helped me harvest them, so three generations were involved in making it for the fourth. When we moved 50 miles away into the hills 20 years ago I disassembled it, stuck all the logs in our Celica, and rebuilt it here. I spun the roof 90 degrees, took off the dormer and turned it into a haus for our two pigmy goats. Now it's been ignored as the goats died of old age years ago. #1Farkle lets her chickens hang around it.

Nicer stuff coming.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

This was a very old clapboard sided shed that was next to our house. Years ago we moved it about 200 feet away rolling it on logs, with a Subaru pulling it and a VW bus pushing. The roof had no overhangs on any side so I added them. It had no floor so I put a concrete floor and block foundation under it. Then I added all the windows and fake man door. The double doors replaced a rotten 4x8 sheet of plywood. I cut the rotted clapboards off the bottom on two sides, replaced it with Durock, then put the stones over that. The rest was covered with half log screwed on from the inside. It houses all our garden stuff.

Back sides:

Fake Ranger Station front facing the road:

Real door to access our lawnmower and garden tools:

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,497
I remember seeing your ranger station, and I like it.

I got this when we bought the place, it was decrepit and unfit for human habitation, it took extreme measures including 3 washings down with a very strong bleach solution and several weeks of air-drying before I could occupy it. It took me a good month to get it done - the good news is all the lumber made a bunch of excellent shelves and kindling for three years so far.

Inside is 7' x 11' with a low ceiling

Door and shelving with boat anchor (aka TUBES) receiver

Put in an operable window with screen, makes summer less buggy - computer desk - the battship.

Business end of the shack. Runs a KW when I need to. The best part about this location is how generally quiet the bands are - very little man-made noise. Yea, I'm wired for 240 - thanks to this shack having formerly been a sauna.

What's a ham shack without maps? And lots of junk on shelves?

It's a nice way for me to get away and it's about 15 steps from the house out the back door.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,383

Saltbox shed.

Packed full of junk .

Colemanfu screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 03:14 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Manuel, that looks like to coziest ham shack that I could imagine. Very nice!
Coleman, That looks like it's in the middle of the Amazon. cool! If you ever need any of that "junk" cleaned out you know who to call first.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Monty Python? Manuel "Three Sheds" Garcia....

Well, OK, if we are really going to show sheds, the radio shack is probably a bit too nice. I have actually THREE sheds, plus a lean-to. The radio shack is the middle sized of the sheds.

This is the smallest shed. If it looks familiar it is because they are usually painted silver and sitting along railroad tracks. When we go this house, like the other two sheds, this one was FULL of junk/crap that had to be sorted, and hauled. I got a couple hundred bucks of scrap copper out of this one.

It's in need of a new paintjob, probably next summer. Once we cleaned it up and put in a false floor, it serves to hold our winter heat...

Now, most of you who follow the tiny homes thread probably wonder what we do with all the tools and other 'junk' including Uncle Knicknacks Summer and Winter Wardrobes, well, the largest shed serves this purpose - while it looks like the radio shack is part of it, they are two physically separate structures with an air space between their common walls.

Like the other two sheds, this one had to be shoveled out when we moved it, and it's poorly built so it's an ongoing battle with small rodent like critters - squirrels, pack rats and mice love this place...we have it trapped to the gills.

Storage corner...

Kindling and tool boxes, toys, bits and bobs...

And the ski tuning bench complete with audio system, task lighting, heat and power.

It's almost like roughing it, but different, I guess.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
How about some examples of the proverbial wood-shed?

I have a 2kSF shop, but I don't want to put wood in it. I have a woodstove for heat in the house and will have one eventually in the shop too. But I don't have a place to stack wood to keep it more or less dry.

I am thinking of something like this:

Fairly simple lean to with a gravel floor.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Woodsheds?! I just came in from five hours of splitting wood in mine. Pardon the mess, it will get raked and blown out when I'm done.
I built this eighteen years ago. It is a small copy of the one they have at Great Camp Minnowbrook in Blue Mountain Lake, NY (Adirondacks) The cheap cedar shake roof is overdue for replacement. It will get done next year.

The inside also holds the Farmall F12 that my wife's grandfather bought brand new along with a horse harness and sled from her father's childhood.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

As Samuel Jackson would say, now THAT's a motherfucking woodshed! Wow, huge and elaborate.

I don't have a woodshed since the snow is dry and we don't get ice, it's just a matter of knocking the loose snow off the logs - and I use a transfer system anyway - from the wood pile to the front door pile and from there to under the stove to warm and dry - we don't keep a big pile of wood inside, just a few pieces to fire it up in the AM if it's not cold enough to lay a new fire ready for the match in the am.

Wife says we should build a woodshed, maybe I'll look into in when the rest of my projects are done - I still have a few things I'd like to do first

Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Why Thank you. I just noticed that the outside shot made it look almost square. It's six sided. The one at Minnowbrook as twelve or so sided and many times the size.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
How about some examples of the proverbial wood-shed?..........................
Ditto. I am in the same boat. I want a design that is an asset to the property but not overly elaborate. I have a nice level spot for a 12 x 16 but I can't come up with a layout I am happy with. we heat with wood, so i gotta keep 4 - 6 cords on hand.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,821
The Martha Stewart Chicken House

My pet sitter referred to the chicken coop as the Martha Stewart Chicken House. It's a 12ft by 8 ft shed. The walls are 2x4 with a 2x6 roof. We used a bunch of building supplies left over from the main house build, then rebuild (after a fire) and used two salvaged windows and the old front door on the coop. Finished off the interior with some exterior siding and lino up the walls to help with clean out.

This picture was taken from the deck of the house. Will have to scare up pics of the front and sides and add to the post.

Add a 4 hole nest box and the girls are happy.

One change that I will make, when I get the time, is to tear the nest box out and lower it in the wall (to keep the girls from sleeping and pooping it in at night).

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Very nice. I think the name is pretty appropriate.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

Inside is 7' x 11' with a low ceiling

Door and shelving with boat anchor (aka TUBES) receiver

Ah, the good old BGD6D! I love those desks!

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Here's yet another outbuilding we have. The shake roof is called a Carmel Style roof. As the name implies, this style is popular on the old cottages in Carmel California. The first time we visited there both the wife and I fell in love with that village. Seeing how I'll never be able to own even an outbuilding there, we decided my next project would have a Carmel roof.
I built this about 15 years ago as "the Powerhouse". Up until last year it housed a 35KW Onan 3 phase generator that I used to power a Blanchard for machining industrial optics. That machine got used less and less so I sold both the Blanchard and the Onan. The generator was an old school backup unit that said "Onan- a division of Studebaker" on the nameplate. I was glad to get rid of the second to last engine I owned with points. Because it housed a big generator with a 6 cylinder gas engine, I built the shed using 5/8" fire rated drywall inside. This spring I lifted it off it's footers and dragged it about 100 feet further from our house. (Notice the lower walls needing repair from the move.) My intention was to widen the original double doors and make it the Ural shed. Instead the Ural now straddles the pit in my garage and this is now the SkiDoo shed. Hopefully I get around to putting some rustic style siding on in the next few years. I might go with stucco and fake timbers though.

This is the original front of the shed, now the back side.

This is the new door that I just made for the sled to ride into. This end used to be the back with a double hung window. (The generator fan blew the air out through the radiator and through the open window. Fresh air came in through the side window.) The old double doors are to ride out of. Even though the SkiDoo has reverse, being able to ride forward into the snow always works better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: