ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer
 
SmellyGoatBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 86
Long fire road near Seattle

I'm looking a nice long dirt ride for tomorrow. It needs to be pretty easy as I want to ride it on my Ural with dog in hack. Any ideas? I'm new to the off road game, and don't know my way around the fire road system. I went up and played a little off exit 34 and 38 today. The roads were short or too rocky/difficult for my liking.
__________________
"It is better to live one day as a lion, than a life time as a lamb."
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGoatBoy View Post
I'm looking a nice long dirt ride for tomorrow. It needs to be pretty easy as I want to ride it on my Ural with dog in hack. Any ideas? I'm new to the off road game, and don't know my way around the fire road system. I went up and played a little off exit 34 and 38 today. The roads were short or too rocky/difficult for my liking.
Howdy SGB,

How many miles of paved road do you want to cover to get there? Forest Service Roads 17 and 18 go from Hwy 530, go over a mountain ridge and come out on South Skagit River Road, a distance of about 40 plus miles, if the weather is good LOTS of great photo ops. This is a good FSR, easy to do even if its wet, its all gravel, lots of elevation change and like I said if the weather permits it GREAT views. PM me if your in the area and want to do this.

This photo shows how to get to 18 from Hwy 530, this is a few miles west of Darrington.


This shows how to get to 17 from 18.


This shows how 17 dumps onto Finny Creek Road which will join South Skagit River Road.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot
 
BeeMaa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 1,092
SGB - If you have the chance to ride with Dave, take it. You will have a blast.

Dave - Bring a shovel, don't want people to find him while we part out his bike and use his dog to pick up chicks.

Cheers,
__________________
Eric B
'06 R12GSA/Hack

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer
 
SmellyGoatBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 86
Thanks for the offer and maps, but I have a few reasons why I'll have to take a rain check.

1. I'm way to weak of an off road Ural rider. I'd slow u down too much.

2. That is almost an hour 45 from Seattle just to get to the trail.

3. Researched a route much closer to home last night.

I'm headed for Tinkham road hoping to be out the door in an hour and on dirt by 11:15.

I'm taking the sidecar training next week and with a few more dirt rides under my belt, I'd be greatful for another chance to ride with one of the Ural legends.
__________________
"It is better to live one day as a lion, than a life time as a lamb."
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
SGB - If you have the chance to ride with Dave, take it. You will have a blast.

Dave - Bring a shovel, don't want people to find him while we part out his bike and use his dog to pick up chicks.

Cheers,
Howdy BeeMaa,

Shusssssssss, you'll scare him off, I have a project in mind and I need a parts rig I was hoping to lure SGB up into the mountains and then have a Sasquatch get him so I could use his rig for the project.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,100
[QUOTE=SmellyGoatBoy;19706919]Thanks for the offer and maps, but I have a few reasons why I'll have to take a rain check.[quote]
Howdy SGB,
Quote:
1. I'm way to weak of an off road Ural rider. I'd slow u down too much.
If we should ever ride together, I am a firm believer in "ride your own ride" I don't try to keep up with folks more skilled then me and I don't expect folks who are inexperienced to keep up with my old gimpy slow arse.
Quote:
2. That is almost an hour 45 from Seattle just to get to the trail.
That's the trouble with living in or very close to the city, it takes while to leave the madness behind and get to the good stuff.
Quote:
3. Researched a route much closer to home last night.

I'm headed for Tinkham road hoping to be out the door in an hour and on dirt by 11:15.
Have a good ride and be sure to post up some photos for us to enjoy.
Quote:
I'm taking the sidecar training next week and with a few more dirt rides under my belt, I'd be greatful for another chance to ride with one of the Ural legends.
Well winter is coming, that means SNOW and some really great Ural riding, get your training done, get some miles traveled and lets plan to get dirty, wet, cold and maybe a bit miserable in the coming months it all makes for great stories around the camp fire.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
halflive's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy SGB,

How many miles of paved road do you want to cover to get there? Forest Service Roads 17 and 18 go from Hwy 530, go over a mountain ridge and come out on South Skagit River Road, a distance of about 40 plus miles, if the weather is good LOTS of great photo ops. This is a good FSR, easy to do even if its wet, its all gravel, lots of elevation change and like I said if the weather permits it GREAT views. PM me if your in the area and want to do this.

This photo shows how to get to 18 from Hwy 530, this is a few miles west of Darrington.


This shows how to get to 17 from 18.


This shows how 17 dumps onto Finny Creek Road which will join South Skagit River Road.
I'm sure you will have a blast.
But i love the way you make screen prints, it that a special Apple feature
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive View Post
I'm sure you will have a blast.
But i love the way you make screen prints, it that a special Apple feature
Howdy halfive,

Your new around here, perhaps you are unaware of my famed computer expertise, so famed that in recognition of the brilliance with which I work a computer I was awarded many years ago this smilie, type : , then type cob and you get this,

As I do not know how to do a lot of fancy computer stuff, I use the Red Neck way of doing things such as taking a photo of the screen and then posting the photo, crude but easy for me and effective. I am pretty good with Ural's, computers not so much.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot
 
BeeMaa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy halfive,

Your new around here, perhaps you are unaware of my famed computer expertise, so famed that in recognition of the brilliance with which I work a computer I was awarded many years ago this smilie, type : , then type cob and you get this,
__________________
Eric B
'06 R12GSA/Hack

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
halflive's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 306
Sorry Mr Cob, i wasn't aiming at you. It was just the crude way of posting a screen print in combination with the Apple desktop.
I think its hilarious.
You are not the first person using this way, but I'm sure you're an exception between Apple users.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive View Post
Sorry Mr Cob, i wasn't aiming at you. It was just the crude way of posting a screen print in combination with the Apple desktop.
I think its hilarious.
You are not the first person using this way, but I'm sure you're an exception between Apple users.
Howdy halflive,

Well....................I gave up using a pc, I could crash one of those suckers just by lookin at it, fought one for over ten years before I went to the dark side and got the Mac. I still don't know how to make it work but it does what it does and its simple for me to use.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer
 
SmellyGoatBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 86
Stopped for food/beer now. More pics later
__________________
"It is better to live one day as a lion, than a life time as a lamb."
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,053
North Fork Rd Se out of North Bend turns to dirt and goes another 25 miles or so to the northeast. It is also known as North Fork Country rd.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=north...ie=UTF-8&hl=en
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

windmill screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 06:23 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer
 
SmellyGoatBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 86
Windmill, thanks! That looks perfect. Gonna try that in two weeks, unless someone wants to try a bit of the WABDR?
__________________
"It is better to live one day as a lion, than a life time as a lamb."
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014