Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Multi-sporting on a KLR (Ride, Rock, Fish)

Hello sages of the adventure,

I'm currently preparing my KLR for our first real ride together. We've yet to get out for more than one short unloaded ride, but we've got big plans.

I'll be touring the West this summer and am hoping to indulge in all of my favorite summer things, namely fly fishing and rock climbing. While not heavily gear intensive, I think a full camping adventure set up, rod, net, and climbing gear may add up.

In initial planning I think I can get away with my 30 L climbing pack for all the required gear climbing and fishing (approximately 35 lbs?) if I go for a light rack of gear, single rope, no waders, light tackle.

Does anyone have experience with trying to accommodate for this much space on a KLR? I have soft bags and a rear box. I foresee ditching the rear box (which rides a bit high) and strapping camping gear and backpack in it's place. I realize I won't know completely until I try to pack the whole rig up, but just wanted to to put some feelers out to see if I'm completely off base with this idea.

Thanks!

SJR

SanJuanRider screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 03:18 PM Reason: grahamar
SanJuanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
=SanJuanRider;23178992
I'll be touring the West this summer and am hoping to indulge in all of my favorite summer things, namely fly fishing and rock climbing. While not heavily gear intensive, I think a full camping adventure set up, rod, net, and climbing gear may add up.

In initial planning I think I can get away with my 30 L climbing pack for all the required gear climbing and fishing (approximately 35 lbs?) if I go for a light rack of gear, single rope, no waders, light tackle.

Does anyone have experience with trying to accommodate for this much space on a KLR? I have soft bags and a rear box. I foresee ditching the rear box (which rides a bit high) and strapping camping gear and backpack in it's place. I realize I won't know completely until I try to pack the whole rig up, but just wanted to to put some feelers out to see if I'm completely off base with this idea.

Thanks!

SJR

Right off the bat, If you choose one or the other instead of both you will ahead of the game.

If your camping there is no way to get around a sleeping bag, pad, tent/hammock/tarp, headlamp, and means to cook.

As far as FFish gear, yes you can ommit the waders, but you'll still need your, wading shoes and neoprene gravel socks. And means to hang them off the bike once wet aftrewards.

Leave your vest home. Try to make a choice on what you're cast'n to. Let's say you choose trout. One Rod, One flybox is all you need. Your nippers, tippets ,leaders, clamps, file, shot, Frog's Fanny will all fit in in a mini chest pack/lanyard or even two cargo pockets on your shirt.

Use a double rod tube holder so you can put your tent poles in the other tube.

If you leave your vest home, make sure to put a drying patch on your hat along w/your license.

I'm not sure if you're using polarized shades on the bike. I use Fitovers and have to remember to bring a laynard so I don't lose em in the drink.

Opps Gotta go. More bad advice later

Jeff B screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 02:50 PM
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Alanthealan
Dirtbag

Oddometer: 29
If you just bring shoes, chalk, and a harness; I am sure you could hit up bouldering spots and then hook up with folks with rope and a rack.

Also sandals, like chaos could serve triple duty, aproach, camp, and wading shoes. If the water is cold you could add seal skins.

I wouldn't bring many fly boxes, local patterns are better, and if you stop in at shop you will get beta with the flies... and meet more folks along the way; worth the markup on shop flies.

A four piece 5wt would fish almost anything, and fit on the bike nice.

If you need anything near Grand Junction, send a message.

Alanthealan screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:27 PM
Alanthealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
I think it's totally doable. Replace the top box with a dry bag much like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Yellow-Dry...5-x-16/5633178

and strap it with a bungee net on the stock KLR rack, works great. Your rod will be in its tube, I see that there are 4 or 5 piece rods that come apart and pack small.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Thanks for the responses folks.

After much consideration and your ideas I'm very convinced this plan has some meat.

Fishing gear is down to;

4 piece 5 wt.
Fanny pack with
-Single fly box
-snips
- 2 leaders
-2-6x tippet spools
-Simms wading sandals that will double as around town kicks
- neoprene socks
-polarized shades
-net (would rather not, but must respect the giant trout of Montana)
Climbing gear is

-Sport harness
-Personal anchor gear (cord, single locker)
-Gri Gri (to be a desirable belayer)
-ATC
-One pair of mid aggressive sport shoes that could pull off some multi-pitch if needed
-Chalk bag
-1 roll of tape

I've decided that part of the climbing adventure will be discovering partners. I plan to hit Rifle, Lander Area, Tensleep, and maybe the City of Rocks, mostly sport oriented. Not sure on the fishing schedule yet, but I think a 10 day Montana and 10 day Wyoming may be enough. I have only one obligation in late july in whitefish montana and about 2 and a half months free.

Will keep you guys updated as plans solidify.

Please keep suggestions coming!

Alanthealan, I'm just up the hill in Silverton. More climbing partners in the Junc area would be awesome! Do you climb in the monument?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

I have tried to fish w/wading sandals w/no success. For flat, sandy or marl bottom they will be OK. But the typical slimy baby head cobbles and engine block size boulders that are most commonly found lining a river or stream bed nothing short of a full on cleated wading shoe will protect your feet.

If your careful you can impart less stress and trauma releasing fish w/o a net. The trick is to gently invert them belly up so they relax. Then a quick in and out to free the hook. [barb pre-smashed of course]

You would be better off carrying some heavier tippet also. Keep the 6X for the few lesser occasions it's needed.

Feel free to ask me any questions you can think of regarding FFishing, any time.

As a FFF Master Certified Instructor and guide/outfitter, over the years I have had the pleasure of helping people get enjoyment out of the outdoors instead of frustration.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Thanks for the advice Jeff!

I've been fly fishing a couple years now in the High Rockies and catching boat loads of small trout, but spent some of last summer dealing with lunkers in Montana. I found I was able to fight the fish less with a net, (I've got one of the nice slimy rubber kind that supposedly harm the fish less) and get a quicker release with my skill set. I definitely release by hand more often than not and usually am able to avoid handling the fish in any way.

I had some luck with these studded Simms sandals I got last year, but it was certainly not felt-tastic. I'm thinking of inventing some sort of strap on or adhesive felt for those particularly rich (slimy) rivers. Any experience with something like this?

Will keep you in mind with further questions. Drop a line if your on the West slope of CO, we've got some pretty awesome small stream action!

SJR
Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Ah, on the tippet i meant 2 through 6x. I spend a lot of time rebuilding my leaders because I'm a cheap bastard.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
If you carry a full camping gear and also want to have full climbing gear on te bike you will run in weight/volume problems. A rope adds significant volume and weight, then you maybe need all the metal stuff...

How about just taking a climbing harness and some climbing shoes? You will need to find a local climbing partner anyway who hopefull has all the other gear available on location?!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Hey Nord,

I've mostly come to this realization already; I imagine I'll provide the beer if they provide the rope. I'm also a fairly proficient climber so I hope to offer my skills to allow folks to climb some cooler stuff.

I've got a new ultralight harness coming; think the climbing gear won't exceed 10 lbs with backpack.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Simms used to pay for the 5/10 Aquastelth sole compound w/carbide studs.

Now they quit ponying up for the good stuff, use [vibram] shit sole material compared to the 5/10 w/o lowering threir price accordingly. And now wants the customer to cough up another additional $30 bucks for carbide pucks that have to be screwed in afterwards.

They don't even make their own boots. They import them from overseas.

Here's the bad news.............. Simms is still one of the best boots available.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

We've brought in some Patagonia's alum bar system for a few guys we sent to Idaho this year. I'll have to ask them how they panned out.

Twasn't cheap.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...195-0&pcc=1128
Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Alanthealan
Dirtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanRider View Post
Thanks for the responses folks.
Alanthealan, I'm just up the hill in Silverton. More climbing partners in the Junc area would be awesome! Do you climb in the monument?
I climb ice and some sport once in awhile, but I'm fat and I suck.

I'm up for fishing, boating, and mtb.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Alanthealan
Dirtbag

.... A grigri!!?!?!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
SanJuanRider OP
n00b

Some people won't even give you the time of day without a two pound piece of autobelay equipment between your legs.

Do you fish the frying pan? I want to check that out.

Why not get unfat?