User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Ritten OP
Swamp thing

Oddometer: 471
Wires out of Jesse top box

I've enjoyed the hell out of my Jesse's and have had NO problems with them in 6000 miles thus far. Up until now I've used an old tankbag as a tailbag on the GS and stored my tools, compressor, and my Autocom in it with the wires running out the zipper on one side. I don't want to hard mount the Autocom unit cause I switch it back and forth between my Aprilia and the GS, but I would like to start using the Jesse top box that came free with the side bags.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used an Autocom or similar system with an aluminum top box, and how did you run the wires in and out of it and still maintain some type of waterproof barrier? Since the plug is a good bit bigger than the wire I'm sure it would have to be at least a 3/4" hole and then utilize some kind of electrical coupling to keep the wires from cutting on the sheet metal. Is there anyone who might have already pioneered this set-up?
Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Cannon and Amp make great bulkhead connectors for weatherproof applications. Here is an mil-spec example: http://www.ittcannon.com/products/pr...?prodids=10168
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aRover
Cannon and Amp make great bulkhead connectors for weatherproof applications. Here is an mil-spec example: http://www.ittcannon.com/products/pr...?prodids=10168
Whoa.

I was just gonna suggest drilling a hole, running your wires and then plugging the rest with a dab silicone.

But that's just the cheapskate in me.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Ritten OP
Swamp thing

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aRover
I don't see where they would have anything that's compatable with the Autocom plugs though. It's a good idea if I were to hard mount the unit in the box and wire up a bulkhead connector, but if I were to put in a connector like that I'd want something I can just plug in on each side.
Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I run 12V into my LH Micatech bag through a gland connector... You can get em at the hardware store with the electricial wiring supplies... they are the plastic fittings with the nut on the outside that squeezes a rubber gland around the outside of the wire...

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10581...s/showimg.html

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTed1000
I've enjoyed the hell out of my Jesse's and have had NO problems with them in 6000 miles thus far. Up until now I've used an old tankbag as a tailbag on the GS and stored my tools, compressor, and my Autocom in it with the wires running out the zipper on one side. I don't want to hard mount the Autocom unit cause I switch it back and forth between my Aprilia and the GS, but I would like to start using the Jesse top box that came free with the side bags.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used an Autocom or similar system with an aluminum top box, and how did you run the wires in and out of it and still maintain some type of waterproof barrier? Since the plug is a good bit bigger than the wire I'm sure it would have to be at least a 3/4" hole and then utilize some kind of electrical coupling to keep the wires from cutting on the sheet metal. Is there anyone who might have already pioneered this set-up?
I'm thinking about doing exactly what you describe. My plan is to put a powerlet plug on the bottom somewhere. This is where power comes into the top box, and plugs into acc. socket. I'll then have a small hole on the bottom of the top box where the small wires will run out for GPS and Sirius mounted up front. Phone and MP3 will live in the top box.

I plan on drilling/cutting away a little bit of the lip on the top box, and somehow wrapping some rubber, or something around the cut out, and this is where my helmet wires come from. My thought is that, since I store my helmet in the top box 99% of the time, I'll never have to unplug the helmet. This is all planned out in my head at the moment, but, I think it'll be a pretty sweet setup. Should be very simple. I put the hlemet on, and I'm up and running. GPS and sirius power will be switched and up front.

What do you think??

Oh, I use the jesse plate that fits into the pillion spot (and, highly recommend it!). With this setup, other than the powerlet running into socket, noone would even know anything was there.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
ozrockrat
Ozrockrat

Oddometer: 390
The 5 and 7 pin connectors used by Autocom are DIN connectors so the posting about MIL spec waterproof connectors is valid.
ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
JZH
Global Bodger

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrockrat
The 5 and 7 pin connectors used by Autocom are DIN connectors so the posting about MIL spec waterproof connectors is valid.
Hmmm... ISTR that finding 7-pin sealed panel-mount male DINs was what stumped me last year. But, I don't like the idea of compromising the top box seal in order to allow the Autocom cable to pass out. Alternatively, you could create some short M-F pigtails to pass through the top box, sealing the interface with some IP67-rated cable glands. These are available in stainless steel, and--compared to connectors--are relatively cheap. I purchased mine from RS Components in the UK, though I imagine they are readily available from Newark, Mouser, etc. in the USA. My EUR 0.01 for ya... (that's about $0.02, innit? )

Ciao,
RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR444RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR837FP; VFR800FiY-SC; ST1300A4...
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
JZH
Global Bodger

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZH View Post
Hmmm... ISTR that finding 7-pin sealed panel-mount male DINs was what stumped me last year.
Nothing like a timely update...

I now use Lumberg Circular DIN connectors, which are all-metal, IP68 rated and available from Allied in the USA (and from Farnell and RS in the UK). They come in all of the standard DIN sizes, plus a couple of other configurations, up to 12 pins (14 pins by special order, apparently), but I don't use anything over 8 pins, which are still 5A-rated. The outer sleeve screws into the other half of the connector, so there is little possibility of these connectors coming loose.

I find the Lumberg design to be easy to build and to use. I've tried Bulgin plastic connectors, as well as some cheap Amphenols, but the waterproof DIN-spec connectors have the best size/contact/price ratio I've found after weeks of searching catalogs and experimenting with samples. Their max Amp rating is 5A, though, so they aren't suitable for any kind of auxiliary lighting. (The IP68 versions have part numbers beginning with 322, 332, 304 and 314.)

Ciao,
RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR444RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR837FP; VFR800FiY-SC; ST1300A4...
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote