User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Oddometer: 228
windshield experiment #3

In between snow falls I've been at it again. I will not have very many chances left this year before the cold really settles in for good. Following the suggestion of a youtube video I went out and bought a $3 safety shield and mounted it over the stock shield. Looks works not bad.

This modification removes almost all of the wind blast of off my shoulders and moves it from my neck to about 2 inches up on my face shield. Not bad. Betty will wear it until my next experiment. It provides just a little more of a relaxed ride without any more interference. The noise level is not really much better but the pitch is a little lower which my ear plugs seem better at canceling out. I'm not sure yet (it's cold for test driving) but I think is some situations it may introduce a little buffeting. Time will tell or I'll move on to other things.

What I'm thinking from my experiments so far:
- a little better wind protection would make this into a realistic ride for longer trips up north.
- better protection would not be worth added buffeting. Nothing is fun with a head ache.
- The best for noise and 0 buffeting would likely be to cut the lip off of the stock shield. I would do this if I was not hoping to be able to do some longer trips north that will involve a lot of highway.
- I'm really thinking about trying the wheatwhacker mod. If I had a spare fairing I would have tried it already. I'd like the dash space and I think it just might do it for me.
- Madstad seems like the ultimate, but I'm too cheep for that. Might try to make one?
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post

- I'm really thinking about trying the wheatwhacker mod. If I had a spare fairing I would have tried it already. I'd like the dash space and I think it just might do it for me.
I just happen to have a red fairing in great condition if you want to buy it and hack yours up for the wheatwhacker mod.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #33
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,078
Some folks have had good results (in smoothing the airflow/reducing buffeting) by spacing the new windshield extension away from the existing faring/windshield.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #34
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Some folks have had good results (in smoothing the airflow/reducing buffeting) by spacing the new windshield extension away from the existing faring/windshield.
Notice the extra long bolts holding the face shield screen on? But for the snow I was planning that next. Good to know you think this may help too though. We will see if Alberta gets another warm spell or if winter is really upon us.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #35
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

winter?

Could the riding season really be over already? Betty looks cold. I wonder if she likes spinning doughnuts in the snow?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #36
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

pelican

I feel like it is Christmas early. My Pelican cases arrived from aviciouscycle yesterday
Taking them out of the box...

Checking them out...

I must say I am very happy with my purchase. It has been my intention for this to be a DIY bike. As much as possible I want to take the less expensive route and build things myself. I know I could build side cases out of aluminum or wood and that is what I was planning to do. The problem is the materials for these DIY projects would come pretty close to the same cost as these Pelican Storm cases. Add to this the fact that boxes I build would never be as good as these and I had to go this way.

The Pelicans are bigger then I imagined. They will have room for all of my weekend camping kit. The quality is way above what I could do. Looks to be a good winter building mounts for these and other stuff for Betty and searching maps for routes I've never looked at before. It's amazing how much fun it is imagining all those trips that never actually happen.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #37
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Looking good MC! Don't let that snow stop you man! What size of Pelicans did you go with? 1550s?
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdwings View Post
Looking good MC! Don't let that snow stop you man! What size of Pelicans did you go with? 1550s?
I got the iM2600. I think that is the same as what used to be called 1550?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #39
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

snow

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in the snow since high school. I either didn't have one or had the wrong kind for such things. I've taken Betty out for a few little spins. Now I'm drooling over studded snow tires. Sorry Betty, such things are not in my budget this winter. Maybe next year.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

preped for the operating table

So with no snow tires coming Betty has been moved to the shop for winter custom work. First order of business will be to mount the pelicans. After an evening of head scratching I think a plan is ready. Now to look for materials for construction

Question: What size, wall width, diameter, shape (round/square) tubing is best for building hard bag mounts on the KLR? I can't weld aluminum so that's out. I want them strong enough to never worry about them but not any heavier then they need to be.

This will be fun. I am working on a design I've not found on the net yet. I will try to remember to document everything and post the build details up here.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #41
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Luggage rack begun

I Finally got started on building Betty a skirt. Gotta add some fat, she's too fast

First we did a rough mount of this aluminum plate. It will be modified in various ways before we are done but it's a start.

Next we began to manufacture some lower luggage rails for the pelicans.

It doesn't look like much yet. I tend to follow a fluid process when building.
1) make some drawings and plans
2) figure out where to start
3) end up doing the first part different then planed
4) modify plan to fit changes
5) fix problems and keep adding bits and subtracting bits
6) get lost in the process
7) somehow it all gets done

Kind of the same way I ride. It's always an adventure.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #42
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

the bags connection

Alright so it's been a while but I finally have something new to report. As it turns out I moved this winter. I now live 2 hours drive from where Betty is holed up for the winter. Well I got over there for a day in the shop and got the pelicans almost mounted. Here they are:

I'll post detailed pictures of the set up when I get a chance.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #43
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
I'm glad to see you back posting in your thread, but how can you sleep at night being 2 hours away from your scoot !!! Lol.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #44
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

dash

Got more presents for Betty in the mail. Good thing winter is still hanging on so I have time to put it all together.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #45
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

The klr dash

I finally got around to installing the KLR dash. My wife convinced me to buy it rather then try and build it myself. Gotta love it when your woman supports ideas like that. Anyway it's not finished. I just connected the two little wires in the fairing to one of the lighter plugs so I could charge a gps or phone.

I just suction cup mounted the gps on the speedo since the gps has a more accurate speedo. Works good.