Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #46
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
I finally got around to installing the KLR dash. My wife convinced me to buy it rather then try and build it myself. Gotta love it when your woman supports ideas like that. Anyway it's not finished. I just connected the two little wires in the fairing to one of the lighter plugs so I could charge a gps or phone.

I just suction cup mounted the gps on the speedo since the gps has a more accurate speedo. Works good.
Just don't use anything in that plug that requires more juice. You'll pop the fuse.
Also, you might want to mount the GPS with a RAM mount. That suction cup will give at the worst time.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #47
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Oddometer: 248
Pelican mount detail

I wanted to have a go at mounting the pelican cases without drilling any holes in them. I know everyone else drills them for mounting and it works out but it seems strange to me to go to all the trouble of buying a water proof box and then drill it. So here is what I've come up with.

First the rack. It's not as good looking as others but it is reasonably light and sturdy.

As you can see the aluminum luggage plate is an integrated part of the whole system. Now for the box mount.

This picture gives the detail on the case. I machined a couple of pieces of puck board to fit snugly into the plastic slots on the bottom of the box. Then I drilled through the side of the slot and into the puck board plug and tapped threads into it. One bolt should be good because the threaded puck board acts like a nylock nut on steroids. Then a steal "hock" was fabed and bolted on in the same way. These hocks fit into the eyes (don't know what to call them) on the bottom of the rack.

I haven't figured out a good solution for the top attachment yet. For know I am just strapping the cases together by the handles. It seems to work very well even if it is not the most elegant. Perhaps a better solution will come to mind one of these days.

I can also just use one case on the rack if I want to. I have not finished the aluminum plate yet. I am going to cut it down a little more and drill around the edges for bungy cord attachment points.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #48
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Just don't use anything in that plug that requires more juice. You'll pop the fuse.
Also, you might want to mount the GPS with a RAM mount. That suction cup will give at the worst time.
Thanks, I figured as much given how small the wires are. I'm actually surprised the gps stayed there, but it was just a pavement trip. I wouldn't trust it on anything rougher.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #49
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

The tip over test

So I stopped at the parts store to pick up an oil filter. The trucks were all double parked so I slid in between a couple and went in. When I came out poor Betty was laying on her right side. It was a very windy day so it might have been the wind that knocked her over, but I think it was a truck. Would have been nice if someone came in and let me know my gas was dripping all over the parking lot!!

The brake lever was bent, the pelican box was scuffed and the new rack (still in testing phase) was bent a little. It's all still usable. Did my cases save my gas tank and shroud?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #50
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

This winter I changed jobs and moved to a new town. The down side is I am now many miles away from the shop where I've always done winter projects on the bikes. The good news is I've got many miles of new places to explore.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

highway test

I was going 500kms to a conference so I decided to give Betty a hard top road trip test. What is it really like to ride a KLR 5 - 6 hours on pavement.

Here she is loaded and ready to go, 7am. The pelicans are sure nice for packing. I could easily fit my cloths and stuff for a week (in hotel) in one case with tools and stuff in the other. The suitcase on the back it for storing layers as I take them off.

It was a very windy day. I'd have to say I much prefer the Honda Shadow in such winds, but it was OK and much better then a car. At some points I had to really slow down for fear of getting pushed off the road. Maybe I will get used to it, but a light (compared to what I'm used to) tall bike and high winds is not the best combination.

I did not find the stock seat much of a problem after 500kms. I was expecting much worse but I was not more but soar then any other motorcycle I've ridden. My legs and back were in better shape then on the cruiser.

In the wind I found the stock wind shield to produce bad turbulence right around the bottom of my face shield. This never bothered me much close to home, but after a few hours it really got tiring. I'm looking over all of the wheat whacker threads again.

Over all it was pretty good, but if I had the trip to do again I would take the Shadow for this type of trip. I may decide to push the KLR in a more off road direction and keep the shadow for highway trips. We will see??

Oh, and I did not calculate gas mileage, but I know it was worse then I hoped. Got 194miles (not kms) before reserve on one tank against the wind
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #52
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

wheatwacker mod

I've been going back and forth in my mind about this one for a long time. I want a little better wind management. I really can't decide if the best option is to go bigger and taller or smaller?? So after much deliberation I decided the wheatwacker can be put back the way it was if I don't like it. Here it is:

With all the rain we've been having I have not properly tested this mod yet. My initial impressions are that it is much better in all conditions except when riding directly into a strong wind. The wind blast has moved up from chin level to about eye level. I like the fact it is much quieter. It's just that we get a lot of wind around here. The turbulence when driving into the wind will likely make me try something else. Maybe a taller screen on the mod or go back to stock and cut the lip off the shield.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #53
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

I also wired the dash into the battery with a fused line. Don't have anything to plug into it though . I wonder if I could rig a way to plug my heated vest in up there? I will also be able to plug my battery tender in there in winter. I'm sure I will soon have more gadgets, lights, heated grips of something to make use of the options I now have available.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

What's in my carb?

So as I've said, the bike did have a Jardin pipe on it at one time, but a stock 2009 one on there now. It surged quite noticeably in the mid range and backfires on deceleration. So while I had the tank off I took a look in the carb. I found the needle shimmed with two washers and the idle screw turned out a little over two turns. I took out one shim and turned the idle set screw to 1.75 turns. I bought a drill bit but did not drill the slide.

It is better then it was. The surging is noticeably less but not gone. I think it's a little better straight off idle but it still backfires. It has a knn air filter and unmodified air box. Not sure if I should try making it better still??
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #55
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

rear rack finished?

Did some cutting and drilling. I think it's done now...but I'm sure I'll come up with new ideas. Painted the rack too.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #56
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Well it's been fun. I moved to town and sold the KLR and bought a V-Strom. Just too far from the forest roads now.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #57
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

I still miss Betty. I'll have another KLR one day, but for now I can only have one and she just couldn't handle the little bit of two up riding I like to do now and then.