User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
K-load OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Kentucky Dirt Roads

Hi, im new to ADVRider. My girlfriend and i are in Nashville right now. (We are from Montreal, QC) And we would like to do some gravel roads with nice scenery on the way up. We are riding GS (650 Twin and 1200) fully loaded, so nice’n’easy trails.

You can see our trip and pics at KM506

Thanks in advance.

Claude
K-load is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Well, it's not gravel, but some of the best back roads riding I've ever done. Here's a link to the post with the GPX: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=27

Here's the map of the GPX:

The route is a circuit of all the covered bridges in the state of Kentucky.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
K-load OP
n00b

Thank you very much. We are heading for the Bourbon Trail tomorrow, we’ll take your route after that !
:))
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
What you want is the Daniel Boone NF.
Get good maps at a Ranger station.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Our farm is in the middle of the DB Forest & 58% of my county is "guvmint" land. I grew up in KS where there are many miles of dirt & gravel. Here in my adopted KY the only true dirt roads are designated forest roads that were most all logging skid roads into the federal land & almost zero gravel. Most forest land is off-limits to motorized vehicles(of which I am personally very glad!) other than a few designated & they are not routes to another place & clogged with 4 wheelers on the weekends & holidays esp.. There are also private dirt log skid tracks/roads if you want to call them that (like on me & I don't invite the public for obvious reasons) & they are hard to find & use as many like me try to keep down erosion & who in a really rural area wants the intrusions? Even when the forest allows logging these days it is frequently required to take measures that prevent eroision-I know a neat wild area near me that was logged over 30 yrs ago & a mat was required for the truck & haul road out to protect it. They are not going to let you in there today with a MC!
The very best riding in KY & there is plenty, is as JamieZ states-hit the back roads which are quiet country blacktop lanes that are not high speed boy racer stuff as far too many ag vehicles & hidden entries but still great riding. There are some great scenic rides here-use the web ride search pages . Coming from TN where you are now, look at the "Bourbon Trail" as a scenic rt to meander a bit in the bluegrass and then come over to my area backroads to the bridges is another relaxing area to ride. Cumberland Gap area is another idea or the Natural Bridge ST Pk. area near me. Google "Forks of the Elkhorn" & watch out for the coal trucks(fewer these days with cheap natural gas!) that area has VA,WV & KY riding thats great too. enjoy & PM with specific questions.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
K-load OP
n00b

All right, thank you everyone. We are now near Louisville heading for the Boubon Trail today. We’ll problably sleep near Mt Vernon tonight in a campground. THanks for the useful tips so far.

Cheers
Claude
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Enjoy the rain today! Might take the BG PKWY to Lexington,KY & meander some back roads in horse country. Frankfort,KY-downtown- as it has many colonial bldgs from 1700's, esp. if the weather stays bad. From there maybe ride up to the OH river and meander into IN or OH or over into NE KY as mentioned before.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote