Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
OP here. I feel like a conflicted, indecisive girly man. I don't recall ever having this much of a problem deciding which anything to buy. My brain tells me to save $3k and buy the Yamaha WR250R because 80% of the time it is all the bike that I will need. However, I also remember really having to try to wheelie over obstacles in the trail, it was also a lot of work sometimes trying to go fast off road. There were also places that I didn't even try going because of the WRR's extra pork (that may have been God's way of keeping me out of trouble).

I spoke with the KTM guy today, he will have a 2013 500 EXC in stock any day now. He'll call me when it arrives; I will bring my pickup and my checkbook and see what happens.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #47
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
My brain tells me to save $3k and buy the Yamaha WR250R because 80% of the time it is all the bike that I will need.
imho, that is a mistake. it's the other 20% of the time that will define how much fun you have on the bike/how much you like it vs. how much you are frustrated with it. that other 20% of the time is 80% of the fun. (and that 20% will turn into a larger percentage of the time/fun as riding the better bike opens new riding doors to you.)

if you wanna save the $3k, buy a lightly used KTM 450/530.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #48
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:

I spoke with the KTM guy today, he will have a 2013 500 EXC in stock any day now. He'll call me when it arrives; I will bring my pickup and my checkbook and see what happens.
Anyone wanna bet what's going to happen?

Just buy the damn KTM. Your going to always wonder about it if you dont. And this is coming from a WRR guy that really likes his bike.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Anyone wanna bet what's going to happen?

Just buy the damn KTM. Your going to always wonder about it if you dont. And this is coming from a WRR guy that really likes his bike.
Strangely, I feel like the married man who is just going out for a few drinks with the office slut. What's the worst that could happen, right?

I mean no disrespect to the KTM by comparing it to an office slut.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #50
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
OP here. I feel like a conflicted, indecisive girly man. I don't recall ever having this much of a problem deciding which anything to buy. My brain tells me to save $3k and buy the Yamaha WR250R because 80% of the time it is all the bike that I will need. However, I also remember really having to try to wheelie over obstacles in the trail, it was also a lot of work sometimes trying to go fast off road. There were also places that I didn't even try going because of the WRR's extra pork (that may have been God's way of keeping me out of trouble).

I just sold my WR250R last week that I bought new in late 2008. I initially bought it over a DR650 because a dealer in Ohio was blowing them out for $4K. I just sold it for $3500 and 4000 mostly off pavement miles. Great bike, reliable, nimble and had great resale. But for me it was appliance like, soulless and lacked soo much torque. I also hated the weight.

For a delta of $3K the KTM is a no brainer. If the delta was closer $5-6K I would certainly give pause.

For the time being I am getting just as much if not more smiles per gallon on my 25 year old, 280lb, 40hp XR600R while I wait for the KTM FreeRide to be released. If it doesn't come to the US a EXC 500 will be in my future come spring.

Go nail the office slut
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #51
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
[QUOTE=LittleRedToyota;19718872]i disagree completely.

in what way does a WRR (or DRZ or whatever) work better than an EXC at slow to moderate pace?

When it's being ridden by a more skilled rider
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #52
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,099
So you are claiming that a skilled rider can ride a DRZ/WRr better than he can ride an EXC or similar?

A skilled rider would take the enduro over a DS any day.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #53
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,606
you guys are funny.

i loved my wr, but wanted "More". and since getting a dedicated "street" bike as well, it made sense to me to pick up an RFS for my dualsport / dirt bike.

if you're going to be doing a shit ton of miles, riding on the road all the time, (like i used to on my WR) get the WR.

if you're going to ride hard offroad, and don't fear maintenance, get the KTM.

simple
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
if you wanna save the $3k, buy a lightly used KTM 450/530.
+1
You've already had a WRR, but if you get another, you will always wonder about the KTM. You should be able to find a nice 08+ EXC for under 5 bills.
Ride it for a bit. If its too much power, maintenance, discomfort, etc., then sell it for what you paid for it, and then go back to your WRR. Or, sell it and go buy your 2012 KTM!
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #55
Daveburmy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
service free machine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I used to say the same thing back when I only rode Yamahas.

Yep. Funny how when you are sweating and whipped from busting your ass down a miserable, rocky, almost vertical trail and you are still facing an even uglier climb back out you don't give a damn about oil changes and valve check intervals.

But then again, if you even have to ask about two bikes that are so entirely different I don't know if the KTM is the right choice. The 25% pavement would sell me on the EXC. But then I consider having to slide a feeler gauge under a valve a fair trade for the extra power and top shelf suspension. I learned a long time ago that no matter how long the service intervals are or who made the bike you still end up working on it every singe time you hammer one offroad.
I dont want to sound cocky, all dirt bikes are great and its a matter of opinion what one likes. I have had Xr 600's for all my riding life (22yrs) I've hammered it ripped chains off it doin wheelies but never needed routine valve and tricky stuff. Just change the oil evewry 1500 km and its as reliable as a guide dog!
Well, technology is great! but when it lets you down, yr dead in the water!! though like every thing, its always a matter of if you like it buy it
Daveburmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
I bought my 690r in summer 2009 and still love it over 3 years later. The only bike I might consider to replace the 690r would be the 500 exc due to the lighter weight. What I love about the KTM street legal dual sports is that you can ride the bike to the dirt, and when you turn up the wick in the dirt the bike is magic. Get the 500! You will not regret it ever and will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #57
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
the maintenance argument is always funny to me Working on my bikes is almost as fun as riding them, it's quiet time in the garage on a rainy day or in the living room during the winter I just bought a 500 XC-W and I love it in the single track, it shocks me actually
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
With stock gearing can the KTM 500EXC do freeway speeds (70mph) for hours and hours?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #59
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,026
250 v 500 its better to have more power and not use it then not enough power and need it ,,500 is the way to go

Stock gearing here in AUS is 13/50 to low ,go up a tooth or two on the front no probs
I run 14/50 for enduro got my 690 for Adv work

The 500 exc is an enduro bike not really designed for sitting on the slab for hour and hours , they will do it fine
Better with a couple of mods . for Adv riding there awesome super light the 500 will chug its way up any hill or blast
It's way to the top you can lug it around or power slide around ever turn there a very versatile bike

As for manteince , very quick and easy 15 minute should see you do an oil change and air filter .

Valve adjustment well really you check them , I have not needed
To adjust yet 3000km

Suspension is spot on , I just got springs to suit my weight fat boy we're I've had my 690 done 3 times but it's no where near stock .

If I had to sell one of them the 690 would go and the 500 would become the new rally, adv ,enduro machine .

Mudguts screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:24 PM
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #60
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post

The 500 exc is an enduro bike not really designed for sitting on the slab for hour and hours ,
I would not want the 500 in a real enduro.....
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote