User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Tjb84 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Tiger 955i coolant puke.

Coolant systems are my down fall, but anyway. I have a 2002 Tiger 955i. I started to have issues with the coolant pushing out of the reservoir as of late. Bike doesn't over heat. I replaced the rad cap as a lot of people on other forums had said to do and the bike is still doing it. I also read that the tanks are too small blah blah blah. Some how I don't believe it. Kinda scared to keep adding fluid to the system when it is pushing out the tank.

My question is, if the system is low on fluid, will this keep making it want to push out the top of the tank or am I looking at something else?
Tjb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Did you change it to the aftermarket radiator cap like they recommend on the Tiger Triple forum? That was my mistake and I went back to the stock cap, which solved the problem many months later.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Tjb84 OP
Adventurer

I bought an Autozone crap, shame on me. Felt chinsy when I first put it on the filler. I'm going out and trying another rad cap today. I was playing around with the Tiger yesterday, just to make sure the system had all the air out, and while squeezing the hoses a lil I could hear stuff passing the rad cap on.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
You didn't really make that big of a mistake. The generic auto caps were a known good substitute until recently. Evidently either the design or quality has changed and now are not a great choice. Stick with the Triumph one and they are known to fail over time, so might just be time for yours to be replaced.

Do you have the service manual? There is a procedure for ensuring air is out of the system. I can look it up if needed, but essentially involves ensuring the level in the filler neck is even with the bleed screw. If one is lower than the other it is a sign of an incomplete fill.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
atomic frog
pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer: 276
I had the same issue (changed cap etc) and after a close up exam, I found the plastic fitting to the overflow tank had a crack in it allowing coolant to leak as temps rose. Silly I know, but closely check it out.
atomic frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Tjb84 OP
Adventurer

I have the Haynes service manual and tried to follow that to a T. I bought a Stant cap today and put that on. Still doing the same thing. I'm guessing I should suck it up and buy the Triumph cap just to make sure. Right now I am limited on space and time to try to get this figured out. I'm just hoping that it isn't the head gasket. Every thing that I'm reading on this is pointing to the rad cap. I'm more than likely just gonna get this thing to my local bike shop and let him test, flush, and work the system just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Tjb84 OP
Adventurer

Thumb Update

Just thought I would let everyone know... Pesky rad caps! After talking some shop about the bike with a buddy, I found that when I squeezed any of the rad hoses that fluid was pushing back to the reservoir. This shouldn't happen. I took the stant cap that I bought and examined it to the original cap and found that the tolerances were slightly off. The ears on the stant cap sat about a sixteenth of an inch higher than the original cap, not allowing the inner spring seal to seat properly. After some slight modifing by bending the ears out and down, the cap made a much better fit. Ran the bike and happily enough, she is running just like she should! I'm still going to get an o.e.m. cap either as a spare or a true fix. Just thought that I would let people know this incase they run into this problem for a quick fix if you are end up in a bind.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
As I have read it the auto caps are really not a great choice due to their relief pressures. If I remember correctly the auto ones have a weaker spring and therefore a lower relief pressure than what our cooling systems were designed for.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
As I have read it the auto caps are really not a great choice due to their relief pressures. If I remember correctly the auto ones have a weaker spring and therefore a lower relief pressure than what our cooling systems were designed for.
Not quite right, caps come in various pressure ratings (i.e. 0.9 bar, 1 bar, 1.1 bar, etc)...The Tiger needs a 1.1 bar (16 psi) cap and there are auto equivalents that are rated for that pressure (am looking for one myself, my local Triumph dealer does not stock the cap of course, even though it is a standard maintenance item )
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Rad cap

The local O'reiley's that I went to to purchase a cap, looked up the stock cap for a Nissan 300Z, and found that that car also requires a 1.1 bar cap, being its a higher performing vehicle. I'm figuring it will fit, but I haven't swapped it out yet. It's winter and the tiger is in the basement, so that's all I know. The tiger cross reference list on tiger triple alluded to all Nissan radiator caps being a fit for the tiger. I just wanted to make sure I got the 1.1 bar. I don't know if'n it's the pressure difference between the 13 psi and 16 psi caps that have been causing the problems.

T
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 623
The Stant car caps at some point in time changed and the rubber seal isn't as long as it used to be which means it wont hold pressure on the tiger radiator and will piss coolant . Not sure about the Nissan caps
If you want trouble free get the Triumph radiator cap

Stant Cap on the left Triumph OEM on the right ......what do you notice different ?

mustang screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 11:09 PM
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
The Stant car caps at some point in time changed and the rubber seal isn't as long as it used to be which means it wont hold pressure on the tiger radiator and will piss coolant . Not sure about the Nissan caps
If you want trouble free get the Triumph radiator cap

Stant Cap on the left Triumph OEM on the right ......what do you notice different ?
Thanks, I read that about the Stant cap, also learned today that the Napa 7031406 that worked well is discontinued, none available in any local store per Napa. Tried to buy the Triumph cap however the local dealer does not stock it but should...FWIW bought a Triumph and a Suzuki and wrongly thought having local dealers would help but they are nearly useless for parts, don't even stock basic stuff like gaskets. May try the Autozone 7516 (specd for Subaru 2.5 and Nissan 300ZX. 1.1 bar) and see how that works or better yet an OEM Made in Japan Subaru cap if the dealer has one....
(BTW that photo link does not work, requires a login)

victor441 screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 09:20 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 623
link fixed
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Bought a Subaru 45137AE00B cap from the dealer today (for $10) and it is working OK so far, no leaks. This was recommended on an old thread at triumphrat.net on alternative caps and all the others mentioned did not work out...the Napa item is discontinued, the Stant has been changed and no longer fits right, and the Autozone item is evidently not high quality.
FWIW did not have to remove the tank, did remove the turn signals, trim panels, and front bolt and was able to lift it enough to change the cap from underneath. Some photos are below, the OEM cap is black and the Subaru cap is silver.

victor441 screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 10:07 PM