Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Oddometer: 46
One Young Rider. One Destination. One Week.

So, I've started my first RR, this is only a small trip compared to the rest in this forum but the start of something new for me. My thirst for this was fed from several RR's on here and a pure lust for travel, new experiences and meeting new people and the stories they all have to tell. I guess this trip symbolizes the next few years for travel, freedom and adventure. The start of much more to come.

This is the RR for my week long ride from Wiltshire to Scotland. Solo Rider. 7 days. oh and the worst weather in September for... 30 years and I'm off camping in it! Lush!

[Above: Leaving Swindon]

[Above: Start Mileage]

I left Swindon last night around 18:15 after packing the bike up and getting into my gear, I recently purchased the Rukka Athos jacket and Focus trousers and Rukka Atlas gloves so I'm looking forward to testing to see how good the kit really is and how comfortable it keeps me on the next 2,000 miles.

My first stop was a mere 60 miles away from Swindon, in a city called Worcester where a friend put me up for the night, more so it was just a head start for me, one less hour to travel today. I left Worcester at 07:15 heading for the Peak District with initial intentions to travel on every road but the motorways to Glasgow with plans to Camp at Skelmorlie, but after meeting a great guy called Dave from another travel sight and getting the insight on riding in Scotland I then went to meet some family just outside of Glasgow. I'm spending the night here now, I hadn't expected to get up here so early but after heavy traffic on the back roads to Glasgow I ended up hitting the M6 for the rest of the journey as I didn't want to sit in traffic. I arrived in Glasgow at 14:30, still as fresh as when I left Worcester. I think so far I have done circa 400 miles since leaving home, hoping to add another 200 - 300 tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will Leave Glasgow on the A82 up the Western edge of Loch Lomond for Glencoe / Fort William where from there I will effectively turn back on myself for Cairngorms National Park and my stop for the night in Grantown-on-spey, from here hopefully things will pick up and get more interesting followed with plenty of pictures!

'12 Honda NC700X

*One Young Rider. One Destination. One Week.

AdvSplash screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 01:03 AM
AdvSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 715
Try and get through some highland and on a ferry to Harris at some point. Great riding.

Have fun man.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Enjoy!

Photos, lots of photos
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Looking forward to seeing the photos. Hope you've got a waterproof camera! ;)

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Scotland Tour 2012 - Day 2

I left Glasgow this morning at around 10:15 picking up the A82 out of Loch Lomond towards Fort William however, unfortunately the A82 was closed North of Tarbet which meant I had to reroute on the A83 and several roads after that but it was no disappointment to me, I loved it. I'll just ensure I manage to finish the bit of the A82 that was closed on my return. I have no idea why it was closed. I must have ridden for about an hour or so before I really started to see spectacular Lochs and mountains. I was so blown away... literally but that's for later.

[Above: Loch Lomond]

I picked the A83 up from Tarbet until Inveraray where I joined the A819 for Loch Hawe where I then proceeded for Tyndrum for the Green Welly Stop where I had a cracking beef sandwich, costly at £6.15 but worth every penny after I'd divulged it!

From Tyndrum I left on the A82 heading for Fort William where I passed through Glencoe, by this point I was speechless, it may have been so windy I regularly touched the white line as I battled to keep the bike on my side of the road, it doesn't help that I am just skin and bones, but after wrestling with the bike the wind and rain, thankfully dies off but the Rukka kit has really impressed me! I thought at one point water had seeped through the crotch and bum, but after stopping to check it was nothing but a bit of biking sweat...So as it goes, through Fort William, towards Spean Bridge where I then picked up on the A86, fantastic bit of road. I really enjoyed it and next to no cars so it was very peaceful, I just cruised and cruised, without a care or concern in the world.

[Above: Fort William]

[Above: Love this pic but not sure where it is!]

I eventually arrived in Newtonmore where I avoided the A9 by picking up some back roads towards Grantown-on-spey. The road I took was the B970, again a fantastic road, I think most of Scotland will be like this! I eventually came off the B970 and came to Grantown-on-spey where I'm staying at CairngormsHighlands from campinmygarden.com. My Hosts are Chris and Brigitte, they are a fantastic couple, so much so, I hope to return here early next year if I get the chance.

So that's today, 7 hours of riding to cover 220 miles with plenty of photo stops when the rain had eased. Tomorrow is a run from Grantown-on-spey to a campsite at Caithness John O'Groats which is about 140 miles on the A9 from here, however I'm going to try a different route and hopefully miss the A9 altogether!

Tonight I was offered a Static Caravan for the night instead of camping, I snapped at the chance so my tent is nice and dry for the wet weather tomorrow and the wild camping to come!

I'm not sure if I'll have WIFI tomorrow night so I might get a tad behind but the picture as I proceed north westerly should only get more spectacular I hope!

'12 Honda NC700X

AdvSplash screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 07:36 AM
Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Kurro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Good test for you new NC700X, probably my next bike....
Kurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvSplash View Post
... I guess this trip symbolizes the next few years for travel, freedom and adventure. The start of much more to come...
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Scotland Tour 2012 - Day 3

Today started very rough, I woke up at 05:30 with terrible stomach pains, thinking it would ease I was soon enough heading to the bathroom.. times passed... I was feeling tender, perhaps it was that beef sandwich I'd had at the Green Welly stop on Sunday or the KFC on Saturday night? I have no idea... 08:30... I wake again with terrible stomach pains, feeling tender I thought my riding planned for today was over. As time progressed I started to feel better, my mood picked up and I went on a short jolly of about 30 miles from Grantown-on-spey to Tomintoul on the A939 which was a fantastic road, loads of switch backs and sharp but flowing bends.

[Above: Morning Rise from Grantown-on-spey]

I left CairngormsHighlands from Campingmygarden.com at 11:15 for Inverness, Tain, Helmsdale, Wick and then Arriving in John O'Groats. The ride was successful, I left a little tender on some bumps but now I'm at the NR Cafe in John O'Groats I'm feeling good, the Chef was happy enough to make me a Cheese and Red onion Sandwich,just tucking into it as I write this.

I've ridden up here on the A9, a good road in places, I can see why so many accidents have happened on it though, more towards the North East the roads become very nice and hairy, wide and open so you can really apply the throttle. I then picked up the A99 for Wick which became a little boring and slow, open, straight roads and no fast corners...

I'm now heading for Storma View Campsite, I'll be staying here for the night before heading towards Applecross with an unknown stop location as yet, All the trip photo's are below, there wasn't really much interesting on this ride, tomorrow should start to see more interesting landmarks and scenery!

[Above: 10,000 Miles in 3 and a bit months!]

[Above: Storma Island]

[Above: I've Arrived]

[Above: John O'Groats Harbour]

[Above: My Lunch from NR Cafe}

'12 Honda NC700X

Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,037
Beautiful photos! I miss the unspoiled countryside of Europe without WalMarts and billboards littering the countryside.

I like the Honda NC700X. Already 10K miles - wow! Let us know a little about the bike, too - gas mileage, comfort, etc. - if you don't mind.

Keep up the great ride report, and thanks for sharing it with us.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
rebel346
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nicely done, looking forward to more!
rebel346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Scotland Tour 2012 - Day 4

After consuming my incredibly tasty sandwich from the NR cafe yesterday I soon proceeded for the Storma View Campsite near John O'Groats however the site really wasn't up to expectations and looked so deserted I thought I'd keep my £8.00 that it would cost me to camp there and continue on my travels, after all this is supposed to be an adventure so I thought I'd get back on the road and see where I'd end up.

I soon came across a fantastic site called Halladale Inn Chalet and Caravan park where I pitch my tent for the night, views of the sea from my tent, sheep in the field munching on the grass next door, life was at its basic state, simple and relaxing. The pitch was at a cost of £5.00 which was very well priced for the cleanliness of the place, it was very well looked after.

[Above: Camp at Halladale]

[Above: Sunrise from my tent at Halladale Campsite]

[Above: Me! Hello!]

After getting the camping kit packed up and loaded into the bike, off I went, I headed along every road that was closest to the coast, this was my tactic for the ride along the top, I had some fantastic roads, I had ridden for about 10 hours this day from Thurso to Applecross and 8 of those hours must have been single track roads, passing a car every couple of hours and stunning scenery every second, an experience I'll remember for a very long time.

Once I started to hit the remote Villages / Hamlets of the North fuel prices really started to rise in price...

The above photo’s were the last 8 hours of riding, most spectacular but unfortunately the really good picture moments were at places it was just not suitable for me to stop, below are some of the pass to Applecross know as the Bealach na Bà and what a fantastic road it is!

after I had blasted through the pass to Applecross, which, for the record, is a fantastic road, I only road it in the wet, coming back the roads were more so like rivers, but the experience was astronomical, so fun, I'd ride there now just to go and do it again!

I soon stumbled across Applecross campsite where my pitch looked a little like the last...

'12 Honda NC700X

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Scotland Tour 2012 - Day 5

After a blissfully warm night at Applecross despite the temperatures outside plummeting my Mountain Equipment bag kept me perfectly snug and comfortable. It's a truly fantastic bag!

I packed up once more and headed for my now final destination, Uig, Isle of Skye where I would be spending my final night in a wigwam. It's only a short ride today of about 90 miles so I have decided to venture down the A87 to Fort William before fueling up and turning around to shoot straight back up the A87 and other small roads back to the Wigwam.

[Above: Leaving Applecross]

[Above: Leaving Applecross]

It was a particularly wet day leaving Applecross, it had started raining around 0700 when I was packing up to leave, it soon got heavier as I entered into Applecross pass and through the mountains, the rain continued all the way down to Fort William, my Rukka gear held up well, if slightly heavier but held the rain out, I was warm and comfortable.

After heading down to Fort William, turning around and heading back I soon started to come into better weather as I approached the Isle of Skye and managed to snap a few shots for once!

[Above: Uig]

[Above: Ferry from the Outer Hebrides coming into Uig Harbour]

[Above: VIew from the windows of my Wigwam]

[Above: White Wave Wigwams / £15PPPN]

'12 Honda NC700X

AdvSplash screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 01:56 PM
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
AdvSplash OP
Find the world

Scotland Tour 2012 - Day 6 / Summary

Trip Statistics / Costs:

Duration:6 Days

Mileage:2112 miles (Door to Door)

Fuel Consumption (UK IMP Litres):70MPG Mixed Motorway - A/B Roads

Fuel Cost:£193.89

Food:£54.10 (Look What We Found Pouches + Other small bits)

Accommodation:£36.00

TOTAL COST:Circa £283.99 (Incl Camping Equipment: £578.98)

Well, time has come to end such a fantastic trip, one that has already fueled my planning for the next adventure, solo or with a companion.

On Thursday, my 6th day of touring Scotland I headed for home. I left Uig on the Isle of Skye for a 570 mile ride back down to my home town. This took me 12 hour in all to complete, I never stopped once other than or fuel or to adjust my ear plugs.

The NC700X was so impressive, I never doubted the bike once before the trip but wondered how well it would really cope with such a long blast as it was actually designed for such riding but it coped admirably. Will I taking it on a another trip, yes I will! I think the NC has so much to offer, it's a bike Honda still need to work on, but until then, it's my No. 1 choice.

[Above: Start ODO mileage]

[Above: End ODO Mileage]

'12 Honda NC700X

Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,209
Looks like fun, thanks for posting.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
wickerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Nice report and great pictures! I think your the first ride report on the NC700X.
I am really digging the NC !
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote